Unable to update firmware

I received my v6 mk2 today and have spent the day trying not to destroy it due to the frustrations of it not working. I've tried it with my Fuji xt-1 and cactus rf60 and have yet to get it to get anywhere near hss.
I've read through the forum and seen that people have the exact same problem but have managed to fix it by various means. I've tried them all and none work.
I've also tried to update the firmware, after updating the Fuji and rf60 firmware, and that doesn't work either. It just flashes red on the unit but isn't found through the software. I've tried both Mac and Windows and neither work.
Can you please help me prove this is not overpriced junk, I've had no problem with my previous mk1 versions?

Comments

• Hello @RichardH, I am sorry to hear of your experience with setting up the V6 II on your Fujifilm X-T1.

I am pretty confident that HSS is not working due to hardware contact problem and not firmware-induced. Below is a checklist for Fujifilm camera users:
    1. Have you removed the hot shoe metal spring plate of the camera?
    2. Did you half-press camera shutter button a couple times while switching on the V6 II to TX mode? Make sure you have set camera system to AUTO. If you previously manually set Camera System to Fujifilm, after setting it back to AUTO, the selection will take effect on the next power cycle.
    3. After V6 II detecting the camera as Fujifilm with an "F" displayed inside the camera icon. You can check this anytime by pulling up the Status Screen (Press MENU button and scroll the Adjustment Dial. Did you see the F camera icon? Keep in mind there's no point in going to the next step unless V6 II is able to detect the camera as Fujifilm.
    4. Did you complete LEARN HSS? Press the Menu button and scroll to CAMERA & FLASH SETUP. This option only appears when Fujifilm camera is detected.  Set your camera shutter speed above x-sync, which is 1/180s so anything above 1/180s works, such as 1/1000s. If RF60 fires a flash with a few seconds delay, that means LEARN HSS wasn't ablve to correct record the camera information. In that case, re-do LEARN HSS.
    5. Finally, check if you have turned on FORCED HSS before taking a shot above x-sync.  Before you take a shot below x-sync, you will have to manually switch off FORCED HSS.
    You are encountering difficulty with Fujifilm camera because of the smaller contact pins on the camera.

Please let us know if the above steps help.

Thank youi!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi,

1. I have now. Although if it is supposed to be compatible with something it shouldn't mean I have to dismantle it to make it work.

2. Yes

3. Yes, it shows F

4. Tried this a few times, finally got it to say Learn Completed. Makes no difference, still won't sync above 1/180.

5. Tried both, no different.

I can't tell you how frustrating this is when it should be just a case of attach the trigger and fire. I wouldn't have bothered if I'd known

Any other suggestions?  Still can't update the firmware, surely that's not normal?
  • Richard, I can't help you with Fuji issues but I noticed that Antonio posted about a Beta version of the firmware updater that does not need the workaround for disabling the digital signature requirement for drivers anymore.

Perhaps try this version of the updater?

Hopefully the latest firmware fill fix issues for you.
  • Hello @RichardH,

4. Tried this a few times, finally got it to say Learn Completed. Makes no difference, still won't sync above 1/180.

5. Tried both, no different.

After completing Step 4, it won't work unless you proceeded to Step 5, which is turning ON Forced HSS by pushing in the adjustment dial. Push it once, turns it ON, push it again turns if OFF.

I can't tell you how frustrating this is when it should be just a case of attach the trigger and fire. I wouldn't have bothered if I'd known

It would be simpler if Fujifilm had HSS in the first place. Unfortunately they don't, so we create a workaround solution. And as often with workarounds, it is usually not a simple plug and play. It would be cool if it is, but at least when tweaking with Fujifilm, it is not. But it's not that complicated either. See the 3 steps below:
    1. Detect camera as Fujifilm (AUTO-DETECT)
    2. Complete LEARN HSS (take a shot above x-sync)
    3. Turn on Forced HSS by pushing Adjustment Dial (when shooting above x-sync)

Any other suggestions? 

1. Make sure camera shooting mode is set to SINGLE SHOT, i.e. top left dial on X-T1 is set to "S".
    2. Also, the Shutter Type should be set to MS: Mechanical Shutter
    ...  Still can't update the firmware, surely that's not normal?
    We put the beta version Class A mentioned on the main Download section of our website. Download the Updater program again and it will load smoothly on Windows 10.  Or are you using a Mac? What problem are you encountering?

1. I have now. Although if it is supposed to be compatible with something it shouldn't mean I have to dismantle it to make it work.

Due to the relatively small hot shoe contacts on Fujifilm cameras, removing the metal spring plate helps the V6 II stay connected with the camera.  This is surely not our intention to force customers dismantle any parts of their camera.  However, due to how the V6 and V6 II Multi-system hot shoe, it is made to work on multiple camera and flash systems. This means our Multi-system has to fit a broad range of hot shoes fittings, so the fit will not be perfect on certain camera models.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks for the replies.

I've tried the beta version after following the link posted by Class A, no difference, nothing detected. I've tried it on 2 windows pcs and a mac. I've tried 3 different cables in every usb available on all machines. Nothing. I followed the instructions, took the batteries out, plugged it in, held down Menu and switched on. The red light flashes but it is not detected. I've tried updating an RF60 flash and it works fine so it isn't the software.

To clarify exactly what I'm doing....

I've removed the spring clips as instructed. The connection is fine because it fires and syncs below 1/180s

I have the camera (2 different Fuji XT-1s) set to Mechanical shutter, single shot

I turn on the Cactus RF60 flash. 

I turn on the camera

I turn on the Cactus V6 mk2

(I've tried every different combination as far as the order I switch them on too, just in case)

The Cactus V6 mk2 shows it has detected the flash and also the Fuji camera by displaying the F in the box

I go to Menu > Camera & Flash Setups. The Camera says Fuji, the flash says Auto.

I go to Learn HSS and Start it.

I take a photo at 1/1000s as required. The flash fires. Sometimes it doesn't say Learned so I do it again. When it does say Learned I click the scroll wheel and it says Forced HSS On.

I take another shot with exactly the same settings, flash fires, shot is dark due to high shutter speed and no flash sync.

I try another shot at 1/180, works fine. 1/250 starts to show the dark band at the bottom. 1/500 big dark band at the bottom. 1/1000 all dark.

Is this the correct procedure?

I have tried turning Forced HSS Off, flash doesn't fire.

Given that I can't update the firmware due to the unit not being recognised, and the fact it doesn't do what it should when following this procedure, I can only presume I am doing something wrong, or it is faulty. I'm ruling out the camera being faulty as I'm using 2 different ones and they both do the same, plus they fire the flash no problem below the highest sync speed.

What do I do now?

Thank you

• edited September 2016
    I've tried updating an RF60 flash and it works fine so it isn't the software.
    At least the Firmware Updater that I am using (an older version) uses two different drivers. So if RF60 updates are working that does not necessarily imply that V6II updates should work as well.

When you plug in the V6II and the red light is blinking, can you have a look at the device manager and check whether there is a device with a yellow exclamation mark next to it?

You may be able to install the missing device driver yourself by using the device manager and pointing it to the respective folder in the Firmware Updater folder.

It is probably best if someone from Cactus further advises you on this, as I have never used the new Firmware Updater version and am not a Win10 user either (I use Win7).

Although you tried three different USB cables, unless you can identify a driver problem, it could perhaps still be the case that they are all of the wrong type?

The connection is fine because it fires and syncs below 1/180s
    You cannot draw that conclusion because below 1/180s the trigger will work with a simple centre pin connection only.

For the higher shutter speeds, you need additional communication to work (using "digital" pins). It is quite possible that you have basic GND and centre-pin connectivity but have a flaky connection with the digital pins.

The Cactus V6 mk2 shows it has detected the flash and also the Fuji camera by displaying the F in the box
    It is good that you are getting the "F" in the camera icon, but I don't understand what you mean by the V6II "shows it has detected the flash".

I don't think the V6II makes any attempt to detect remote flashes and certainly does not display any success. This only happens when you engage "Absolute Power" mode in which case the V6II will report which remote flashes it can "see". However, you write that triggering below the sync-speed works, so you shouldn't have a problem with the radio communication.

I take it your RF60 has the "AU AUTO" setting at "ON" and you are not trying to use the "HSS" button at its control panel, right? You shouldn't see neither "Multi" nor "HSS" displayed at the RF60's display. You could experiment with manually engaging HSS mode on the RF60 but that should normally not be necessary.

Sometimes it doesn't say Learned so I do it again.
    This suggests to me -- Cactus can correct me if I'm wrong -- that your connection between V6II and camera is flaky. If it is, then it could explain why you cannot get it to work properly. I would assume that the "LEARN HSS" feature should work every single time without fail. If it doesn't, then perhaps you need to find a way to position and lock the V6II on the hot-shoe in such a manner that it does.
  • Thanks for the input, it is being sent back to Cactus for a replacement as they have said it sounds like a faulty unit.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment, I'm sure you would agree that is something takes that much investigation to find out why it doesn't work, it suggests something is wrong somewhere along the line. I am a fan of Cactus products, I think they're excellent and great value for money, I have 3 mk1 triggers and 7 rf60 flashes so I'm very familiar with them and what they can offer, but it's still disappointing when something so simple as this, with essentially a maximum 3 step setup, can have so many variables as to why it isn't working. It would suggest there's a gap in the testing during development, and I would apply that to Fuji too.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated
  • edited September 2016
    I appreciate you taking the time to comment, I'm sure you would agree that is something takes that much investigation to find out why it doesn't work, it suggests something is wrong somewhere along the line.
    No worries, I'm glad if I can share some of the experience I gathered with the V6II (and V6, etc.). I'm a very satisfied Cactus user myself.

I agree with you that you shouldn't have had such trouble to make progress. I can't say what the ultimate causes of the issues were; from your descriptions, it very much does not sound like incorrect usage, though.

Thanks for the input, it is being sent back to Cactus for a replacement as they have said it sounds like a faulty unit.
    I hope you attached a note or otherwise communicated that you want to use the replacement on a Fuji XT-1.

I would hope that Cactus then can make sure that the replacement indeed works with that camera model before they send out the replacement.

From what I see from forum posts here, for some people the V6II seems to work well on their Fuji camera and for others it does not. Whether that's due to hot-shoe tolerances on the cameras or the V6II, or something entirely different, I can't say. However, it would only help if Cactus were able to ensure that the replacement unit is not challenged to make contact with a Fuji XT-1, right?

Oh, and if I were you, I'd ask them to put on the latest firmware on the replacement unit, just in case your Firmware Updater issues persist for some reason.
  • Yes, I'll be making sure as far as possible that it'll be up to date with firmware before they send it.

As a final test I tried it on my Nikon D3s and I still couldn't get it to work. I've just been unlucky it seems. Looking forward to getting one that works, hss makes things so much easier

• Hi Richard,
    Thanks for the input, it is being sent back to Cactus for a replacement as they have said it sounds like a faulty unit.

Well noted. We will test your returned units with our X-T1.
    ... It would suggest there's a gap in the testing during development, and I would apply that to Fuji too.

Yes perhaps. We had 3-5 beta testers with Fujifilm gear.  Maybe we were all just lucky in getting a more tolerable copy... or the hot shoe contacts on the Fujifilm were so small that the V6 / V6 II's Multi-System Shoe tolerance could not satisfy its requirement. I don't know at this point and will need to sample through many more Fujifilm cameras to find out. 

Like Class A mentioned in his reply, many Fujifilm users did not have such a problem with their V6.

Now come to think of it, I wonder if it is because your RF60 has never been updated? 

You can check the firmware version by pressing NEXT while switching on the flash. If it is not version 200 or above, there's no point in testing HSS - it will certainly not work with a V6 II.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager