Fujifilm X-T2 Compatibility with Cactus V6 II to support HSS (Now Supported! v.1.1.005)

Comments

• ... also, a side note or question.. are there still compatibility issues with updating Cactus firmware using Windows 10 PC's?.. I know you there's a trick work around, but it doesn't work for me.. something to do with the fact I'm working off a tablet (Wacom Companion, to be exact).. luckily, I still have an beater lap top running Windows 7(I think) which works to allow me to update my Cactus products' firmware for now.
  • edited September 2016

Testing Day 1

X-Pro2 FW V 1.02 (current)

2 x V6II FW V 1.0.105 (beta)

1 x Yongnuo 568EX

I conducted 20 tests with the Yongnuo 568EX firing just off
    camera right and these are my results.

Test 1

I set both V6II to auto detect and removed the removed hot
    shoe spring plate. 

I then set up the V6II and learned HSS and finally turned on
    forced HSS and I ended up with a black screen.

I trouble shooted and on TX  I manually selected the camera and on the RX I did the same
    with the flash and it WORKED all the way up to 1/8000.

I turned off the XP2 and V6II and flash and concluded test

Test 2-20

I turned on all units and activated forced HSS.

I fired a shot at 1/1000 and black screen.

I then had the unit re-learn HSS and I would get banding to
    some degree, sometimes I would get a good frame and then I would get banding.

The testing was wildly inconsistent and not one thing I did
    worked to the degree I would call consistent.

I concluded that every time the unit is powered off and then
    on I had to re-learn HSS and I would still get some banding for 9 out of 10
    frames.

Out of the 20 tests, I had 3 tests where the unit functioned
    perfectly up to 1/8000.

Are these known issues? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Migel

• edited September 2016

I will try a fresh install of the beta firmware and report back later this evening. 

• I did a factory reset on both TX and RX with similar result, the beta firmware was still loaded in the V6II.  
    3 out of 10 tests I captured a good exposure at 1/1000, but any higher and banding was present.

I am surprised as there were two other members who posted with no issues with X-Pro2.
    I did a quick test with the  V6II firmware beta version (V1.0.105) on my Fujifilm X-T2 and it works fine.
    I also tested X-Pro2, X-T1, and X-T10 and to me all are working fine. I didn't have a chance to test the X-Pro1, I can not get one at the moment.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Has anyone tried to see if it works with X-E2? Thanks! Mark

Hi,

I have an X-E2 and haven't tested, reason being as the old FW did not support X-E2 in HSS and I am assuming the beta FW doesn't either.
    I will give it a go this weekend as I don't expect to hear from Antonio this weekend in respect to the issues I'm having with the Pro2 and the V6II beta FW.

Cheers,
    Migel

• edited October 2016
    Antonio,
    Testing Day 2

X-Pro2 FW V 1.02 (current)

1 x V6II FW V 1.0.105 (beta)

1 x Yongnuo 568EX

Today I tested X-Pro2 with on camera flash with of course the V6II.  In my tests the flash power could not be adjusted via V6II, but the flash zoom could be adjusted.

In 3 tests fully powering on and off all respective units I could not get HSS to function. 

In all tests above 1/250 all I captured was a black frame.

Hope you have a great weekend and look forward to hearing from you during the work week.

Cheers,

Migel

Hey Mark,

Tried on my X-E2 and no go. When forced HSS in activated the flash doesn't fire.

Cheers,
    Migel
  • edited October 2016
    Hey Migel,
    thanks for the test with X-E2.
    From your point of view is it a firmware problem or a hardware limit of X-E2?

Cheers,
    Mark

• edited October 2016

• Hey
    Mark,

Hard
    to say, I'm not a software engineer, but the result didn't surprise me as
    on the current firmware for V6II HSS didn't work.  Cactus lists this
    limitation in their V6II page:

Camera(s)
    tested that does not support high-speed sync modes on theCamera(s) tested
    that does not support high-speed sync modes on the Cactus V6 II:

- Fujifilm X-E2 (Updated: July 18, 2016)

- Fujifilm X100T (Updated: September 7,
    2016)

- Fujifilm X-T2 (Updated: September 9,
    2016)

Hopefully in the future they
    will add support as I would think it would be possible to have compatibility
    with the X-E2.

Cheers,

Migel

• I've got a v6ii, RF60, and a Fuji X-T2, and can confirm at this point that no HSS works for the X-T2. Forced HSS does nothing, I just wish it was easier to find all this information (the v6ii page mentions that HSS doesn't work on the X-T2, but doesn't say anything about Forced HSS, which some searching revealed that it works for some other Fujifilm cameras). 

Also, I'm still experiencing the libusb0.dll error in the latest Windows firmware updater (on Windows 10). The only solution I found is to do an advanced restart and turn off signed driver verification. I'd still get the error the first time I tried to update, but every update after that went without issue. It's just a really annoying hoop to jump through, so I updated all 5 of my cactus devices before rebooting ;) 
  • Team,

thank you so much for that.
    I played with the latest firmware this morning and all went fine.
    Picture taken a 1/4000th sec was well lit all across the frame.

Cheers.
    Patrick.
  • FiZ,

I got the .dll error on Windows 10 too, but the V6II shows the correct firmware version and it works fine in HSS mode (it does not with the last commercial version)

If this can help, this is what I did:

1. Remove the metal plate around the hot shoe. 
    2. Menu - Camera and flash setup: Set both to "Auto" (that's what I used for my XT-2 and the RF60)
    3. Power on the camera and then power on the Cactus V6II. You should see a F next to the Det Cam as per below picture.
    4. Go to Menu - Camera and flash setup - Scroll to "Learn HSS". You will have to take a picture at 1/1000th sec within 30 secs.
    5. Make sure the force HSS in on (press the wheel on the left of the OK button, that will toggle HSS on and off)
    That's it.

I've got a v6ii, RF60, and a Fuji X-T2, and can confirm at this point that no HSS works for the X-T2. Forced HSS does nothing, I just wish it was easier to find all this information (the v6ii page mentions that HSS doesn't work on the X-T2, but doesn't say anything about Forced HSS, which some searching revealed that it works for some other Fujifilm cameras). 

Also, I'm still experiencing the libusb0.dll error in the latest Windows firmware updater (on Windows 10). The only solution I found is to do an advanced restart and turn off signed driver verification. I'd still get the error the first time I tried to update, but every update after that went without issue. It's just a really annoying hoop to jump through, so I updated all 5 of my cactus devices before rebooting ;) 

• Antonio,
    Found one minor issue with the beta firmware (fuji xt2 to nikon sb900 flashes).  Take a few pics, flashes fire fine.  Wait 5-10 seconds, and the flash won't fire on the first exposure, but take a second shot right after and the flash fires.  Like something is going to sleep, but flash sleep is turned off, cactus sleep is 15 min, and the Fuji sleep is at 2 min.

Thanks!
    Mike
    Thanks for the information, Mike. I will forward this finding to R&D.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • ... also, a side note or question.. are there still compatibility issues with updating Cactus firmware using Windows 10 PC's?.. I know you there's a trick work around, but it doesn't work for me..
    Yeah the old trick no longer works somehow.

BUT, if you download the latest version from our website, and re-install the Updater, it will first uninstall the existing version from your computer, then install it and this time it will include the missing DLL driver files.  Make sure to follow all the pop up prompts. 

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 

• ... I trouble shooted and on TX  I manually selected the camera and on the RX I did the same
    with the flash and it WORKED all the way up to 1/8000.

...Are these known issues? Any thoughts?

Hi Miguel, thanks for your test reports.

The key is to ONLY use auto-detect for camera system.

This way, at least at the start of your shoot, you can be sure the V6 II is correctly connected with the camera.   In our tests we have no banding (dark shadow line) issues at all. It worked every single time - but this was on the X-T2. So it could be an issue on the X-Pro2?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

Hey Mark,

Tried on my X-E2 and no go. When forced HSS in activated the flash doesn't fire.

Cheers,
    Migel
    Yes, it's a timing issue and unfortunately firmware could not fix it. :(
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• I've got a v6ii, RF60, and a Fuji X-T2, and can confirm at this point that no HSS works for the X-T2.

1. Have you gone through LEARN HSS?
    2. Did you use auto-detect for camera system?  (switch on V6 II and half-press shutter button)
    ... Forced HSS does nothing, I just wish it was easier to find all this information (the v6ii page mentions that HSS doesn't work on the X-T2, but doesn't say anything about Forced HSS, which some searching revealed that it works for some other Fujifilm cameras). 
    Well, to date, the Fujifilm EF-X500 is yet to be seen so technically there still isn't any "HSS" for Fujifilm.

"Forced HSS" is what a Cactus function. Since natively Fujifilm does not have one, we liternally "forced" one out, thus the name "Forced HSS". And this is a function you have to manually switch ON and OFF, depending on your shutter speed.

Sorry to hear about this.
    Have you follow the on-screen pop up and first uninstalling the old Updater and then install the new one? It should wipe all the old bits out, then install the new one together with DLL files.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Team,

thank you so much for that.
    I played with the latest firmware this morning and all went fine.
    Picture taken a 1/4000th sec was well lit all across the frame.

Cheers.
    Patrick.
    Thank you, Patrick!

Nice debadge, btw. :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Today I tested X-Pro2 with on camera flash with of course the V6II.  In my tests the flash power could not be adjusted via V6II...
    1. Did you also let the V6 II auto-detect the on-camera flash as well?
    2. I suppose you controlled the on-camera flash zoom by holding the MENU button while adjusting the Adjustment Dial?

Thanks!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Today I tested X-Pro2 with on camera flash with of course the V6II.  In my tests the flash power could not be adjusted via V6II...
    2. I suppose you controlled the on-camera flash zoom by holding the MENU button while adjusting the Adjustment Dial?

Thanks!

Hi Antonio,

I had the VRII set to nikon flash and to yongnuo 568ex. I will try auto detect flash on V6II TX today.

In my previous test I changed the flash zoom pressing ok and having zoom displayed on the screen, then holding the menu button and turning adj dial, that worked.
    But when trying to adjust flash power I insured flash power was displayed on screen, then holding the menu button and turning adj dial, the flash power did not adjust.

Cheers,
    Migel

Thanks!

Hi Antonio,

I just tested the V6II, X-Pro2 and Yongnuo 568EX on camera flash.  TX was set to camera AUTO detect and the flash was also set to AUTO detect.  Forced HSS was selected in every test where the camera was detected.

Out of 5 tests the TX 3 times the TX did not recognize the camera and on 2 of the tests it detected the camera and displayed "F".  The flash was detected every time and displayed a "N".

As in my prior tests Flash zoom could be adjusted, but the flash power could not be adjusted.

In every test where the TX detected the camera and flash the camera captured a fully black image.

Cheers,
    Migel 

• Thanks Migel for your detail reports. I have already forwarded them to R&D. It will be fixed on the official release.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• X-Pro2 and SB800 work fine in HSS, thanks for the beta, good stuff.

One issue though: the PowerSync level adjustment doesn't seem to be working. I can set it as described in the manual, but it won't affect the flash in any way whatsoever.
    This only happens when the Cactus is mounted on the X-Pro2. When it's on a Canon, the PowerSync level adjustment works fine.
    (I did remove the hot shoe spring)

Regards,
    Dave
  • HEY ALL! 

Quick test with X-Pro2 FW 2.0 and everything worked flawlessly!!!!!!!  Great work Cactus R&D team!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
    Migel

• One issue though: the PowerSync level adjustment doesn't seem to be working. I can set it as described in the manual, but it won't affect the flash in any way whatsoever.
    Does that mean the flash power does not give you a nearly-full-power flash?  It should be a significant power boost.

If mounting on a Canon camera works then maybe there's a bug in Fujiflm camera system. I will ask R&D to verify this.  Thanks!

HEY ALL! 

Quick test with X-Pro2 FW 2.0 and everything worked flawlessly!!!!!!!  Great work Cactus R&D team!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
    Migel
    Great to hear that, Migel!!
    Thank you for testing.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio,

I completed further testing on X-Pro2 FW 2.0 and the V6II beta firmware.  I used my Yongnuo 568EX on camera flash and ran into some issues.

1.  The flash power and zoom now function, this is GOOD, but...

2.  HSS wasn't functioning properly, I would get a very dark screen.

Cheers,
    Migel
  • edited October 2016
    I'm deleting this - no longer relevant!
  • edited October 2016
    Hi everybody.
    I was testing the Fuji X-pro2 with the Firmware 2.0, with 3 brands of flashes.

1.  Yongnuo YN-560 III. It works until 1/320s, but not HSS. Because the flash has no HSS option.
    2. Meike Mk-320 for Fuji. The Meike has Fuji TTL, or better said, had. Because of the change of the protocol with th FW 2.0. Now it is not working any more on camera, and with the cactus v6 II doesn´t work HSS neither
    3. Cactus RF60 with the firmware 2.04. Its works, I´m able to change the power and zoom. And with the Fuji X-pro2 and its firmware 2.0 HSS works. It is not very reliable, becase sometimes the illumination it´s not homegeneus, and I can see obscure bands (not black, less illuminated) in the middle or top or the photo. But it is working. In order to work, I have to force HSS option, and NORMALl HSS in ON. I had to program the cactus V6 II with the camera at 1/1000 the first time. 
    I´m using the beta firmware for the cactus, the 1.0.108, ( the last one at this moment).
    The new firmware of Fuji has HSS, Why have I to use the forced HSS? Why not the normal HSS mode?