TTL systems do not match

Hello,

I just received my Cactus RF 60 flash and V6 II wireless
transceiver.  Unfortunately I already
have a problem and as I am completely new to flashes, that problem might well
lie with me.

At the moment, I just wish to use TLL.  So, I mounted the V6 on my Pentax K3's
hotshoe and the flash on top of the V6. 
I turned the V6 on and into TX mode, then turned the flash on.  After that I pressed the menu button on the
V6 for 2 seconds expecting to see "TTL Pass Through", but instead
saw, "TTL Systems Do Not Match", and so it won't work as it should.

Would you be able to offer any advice or insights as to what
I've done wrong?

Many thanks

Comments

• Hi, another Pentax user here. :)

Are you trying to achieve P-TTL via radio? That won't work. The V6II only supports manual power level control.

Are you trying to achieve P-TTL with the RF60? That won't work either because the RF60 does not support P-TTL even when you mount it on the camera or on top of a camera-mounted V6II.

The "P-TTL pass-through" feature is meant for letting the camera talk to an on-camera P-TTL flash when the V6II sits between camera and on-camera flash. So if you have another Pentax-dedicated flash, you could fire it on top of the V6II that sits on the camera, and fire the off-camera RF60 at the same time.

The only reason for putting an RF60 on top of an on-camera V6II, would be to enable HSS for the RF60 while desiring the light to come from the top of the camera (rather than off-camera).

You get the "systems do not match" message because your camera system (Pentax) and flash system (?) are not the same. You can get rid of the error message by either manually setting the flash system to "Pentax" or by mounting a Pentax-dedicated P-TTL flash that can be auto-detected by the V6II.

This will not give you P-TTL for the RF60, though.

Hope this helps.
  • Hello,

I just received my Cactus RF 60 flash and V6 II wireless
    transceiver.  Unfortunately I already
    have a problem and as I am completely new to flashes, that problem might well
    lie with me.

At the moment, I just wish to use TLL.  So, I mounted the V6 on my Pentax K3's
    hotshoe and the flash on top of the V6. 
    I turned the V6 on and into TX mode, then turned the flash on.  After that I pressed the menu button on the
    V6 for 2 seconds expecting to see "TTL Pass Through", but instead
    saw, "TTL Systems Do Not Match", and so it won't work as it should.

Would you be able to offer any advice or insights as to what
    I've done wrong?

Many thanks

Class A said:

Hi, another Pentax user here. :)

Are you trying to achieve P-TTL via radio? That won't work. The V6II only supports manual power level control.

Are you trying to achieve P-TTL with the RF60? That won't work either because the RF60 does not support P-TTL even when you mount it on the camera or on top of a camera-mounted V6II.

The "P-TTL pass-through" feature is meant for letting the camera talk to an on-camera P-TTL flash when the V6II sits between camera and on-camera flash. So if you have another Pentax-dedicated flash, you could fire it on top of the V6II that sits on the camera, and fire the off-camera RF60 at the same time.

The only reason for putting an RF60 on top of an on-camera V6II, would be to enable HSS for the RF60 while desiring the light to come from the top of the camera (rather than off-camera).

You get the "systems do not match" message because your camera system (Pentax) and flash system (?) are not the same. You can get rid of the error message by either manually setting the flash system to "Pentax" or by mounting a Pentax-dedicated P-TTL flash that can be auto-detected by the V6II.

This will not give you P-TTL for the RF60, though.

Hope this helps.

That certainly does help.  A bit embarrassing though as I thought I had done my homework, but I really appreciate the quick reply.  Anyway, it gives me a good excuse to move onto learning manual flash and using an off-camera flash much more quickly!

Cheers!
  • ... it gives me a good excuse to move onto learning manual flash and using an off-camera flash much more quickly!

Indeed it would!
    I am no expert myself but it's much more engaging with your gear - camera, lens, flash.

Thank you and let us know if you need further assistance :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.