Cactus V6II does not work with the new firmware 2.00 X-Pro2

2»

Comments

• Hi Ean,

We recommend using auto-detect. That's the only way we can be sure the V6 II is able to properly connect with the camera.  If the V6 II displays OTHERS, the V6 II is functioning like a manual flash trigger - centre hot shoe pin connection only. So you will only get below x-sync operation. 

And can you check what firmware version is installed on your V6 II?

Menu > Preference > Firmware. 

The latest is 1.1.006 

Next, do a factory reset, also in the Preference menu.

Follow these steps. It is for a Canon flash but the same rule applies:  http://www.cactus-image.com/community/discussion/1095/fuji-xt-2-and-canon-600ex-rt#latest

Tips: When you half-press camera shutter button, don't just press and hold the button, press it a few times as the V6 II is auto-detecting.  

Thank you and let us know how you get on.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi to Cactus Support,

my units are running 1.1.006 - I can use it perfectly to run every flash sync speed with my Jinbei FL II 500 with forced HSS on and Powersync on.

Only problem I have is using the triggers like in Ean's comments above with non HSS (forced HSS also turned off) on native Fuji X Pro2 sync speed of 1/250.

What to do? Have tried every possible setting, does not work, only going to slower sync speeds or switching back to super sync works.

Thanks for your assistance.

Kind regards

Ole

• When you are connecting a V6 II (RX) to a studio strobe via a sync cable, the V6 II sees it as a manual flash, so the determining factor is the strobe's flash duration - it has to be long enough in order to sync with the shot, and that is 1/100s or longer at t0.1.

Since the V6 II sees it as a manual flash, Power Sync does not work in terms of pumping out a full power boost, beucase the V6 II could not control the strobe's power output. That it does for you is allowing you the ability to adjust the timing of the flash firing. But if the flash duration is not long enough, then it doesn't really help.

The X-Pro2 works with V6 II (TX).
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Dear Antonio,

I have everything running except for normal HSS and native sync speed of 1/250. there appears a slight banding.

What am I doing wrong? If I go down to 1/200 everything is normal. Even if I switch to forced HSS and powersnyc 1/250 is working. Tried a reset etc. But now lacking ideas.

Thanks for the assistance!
  • Dear Antonio,

have an update for you. Interestingly everything (every sync speed inclusive regular 1/250 sec ) works splendid with the Jinbei FLII 500 if I set forced HSS on and Normal HSS mode. 
    The flash does not have HSS capability but even if I go to higher sync speeds like 1/4000 etc the exposure has no black banding whatsoever and also a little bit more exposure compared to the same procedure with PowerSync ON.

Find it very confusing but as it works splendid now, can not complain :)
  • Wow!  Nicely done!

I think it could be due to LEARN HSS in your previous round it did not capture the most-used timing of the camera.

Anywany I am glad it works now. And thanks also for posting an update. ;)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• edited March 2017
    You are welcome! :-)

I am failing to understand though why normal HSS seems to be the better option instead of PowerSync. Both with forced HSS on obviously.

The Jinbei is connected via sync cable to the cactus receiver which is set to manual flash mode. Power settings of the flash are set at the flash directly. The flash does not have HSS functionality but is burning slowly.

What exactly is the difference in normal HSS vs powersync with a manual flash which cannot be power controlled by the cactus unit?

Seems that with normal HSS mode in my combination the timing is superior compared to powersync because there is no black banding. Exposure wise also slightly more power in normal HSS vs powersync. Will do a trial over different apertures and power settings soon to see if this is the case for all settings.

I am really glad it works that way but would love to understand why. ;-)

And Antonio, please add a countdown timer for that af assist light. Possibly customisable in the duration and restarting countdown after shutter release. :-)
  • Hi @phate2017
    ... What exactly is the difference in normal HSS vs powersync with a manual flash which cannot be power controlled by the cactus unit?
    There is no difference when you connect the V6 II RX with a studio strobe via a sync cord.

In such a setup, Power Sync only gives you the option to adjust the timing of the flash. This is usually needed with speedlights because the flash fired is in a normal flash curve.

But your Jinbei strobe has a long enough flash duration to cover the entire frame. So you don't really need Power Sync in your case.  Just use whatever works :)
    ... please add a countdown timer for that af assist light. Possibly customisable in the duration and restarting countdown after shutter release. :-)
    We are thinking of a shortcut key for switching the AF Assist Light on and off. So that it will be more on-demand. Maybe this would be simpler for most people, as every shot the timing could be different.

Check out the discussion here:
    https://www.cactus-image.com/community/discussion/1041/af-assist-beam#latest

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thank you Antonio. That makes sense! :-)
  • Thank you Antonio. That makes sense! :-)
    Glad to hear that!

Just shout if you need anything else.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager