Custom profile for YN565EX

Hi,
I have a problem making a custom profile for a Yongnuo YN565EX.

Following the instructions on the manual I positioned the flash with the V6 in front of a seamless white backdrop at 1 meter distance.

I start the learning process, put the flash in TTL, after that I put the official maximum GN of 58 and then I switch in Manual mode at 1/2. After some flashes, the last one doesn't make the ready sound at the end, and the controls are stuck. If I turn off the V6, the flash makes the ready sound and it's back to normal.

After that if I try again to make a custom profile, it says "Flash Learning not Supported!" after two flashes in the TTL mode.

I updated to the last firmware, tried again but it was the same. Removing the batteries from both the V6 and the flash lets me after some time try again without the "not supported" warning.

Am I doing something wrong in the process?

I don't exclude the possibility that the issue is caused by the flash, I had some problem with a TTL cord too, so it may be a faulty unit.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hello Carlo,

Make sure you are using freshly charged (or brand new alkaline) batteries in the flash before the Learning begins.

Sometimes that message would pop up despite it is indeed a supported flash for learning. The cause is because the reflected light from the first two test flashes was not registered by the V6's optical sensor.

What you can do is:
    1. Check the distance from the white surface
    2. Adjust its placement from the ground, try mounting it on a stand to minimize unwanted reflection from the floor
    3. Change the surface, it needs to be reflective - black wall will not work

Let me know if the above helps!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Antonio.  The YN flashes are digital only so they will not profile.. The profile will need to manually be done by cactus if that possible. 
  • So that's why the learning process doesn't work with my YN flash. Thanks!

I had already made a video of the behaviour of the YN flash before I saw your reply bhursey, I post it anyway just because it's already online:
    http://www.carlo-orlandi.com/scambio/YN565EX_profile.mp4

And this is how the V6 was placed:
  • Ok watched the movie. Ok you got much faurther than it would let me yn568EX go when testing.. I have an idea instead of switching off the v6. can you take the YN565EX off the trigger adjust it then put it back?  Also did you try the YN568EX builtin profile to see if it will work?
  • Carlo, have you tried using the Yongnuo YN568EX (II) profile?

It may work for your YN565 EX.

If it doesn't, I'd try another predefined Canon profile.
  • edited June 2014
    Ok watched the movie. Ok you got much faurther than it would let me yn568EX go when testing.. I have an idea instead of switching off the v6. can you take the YN565EX off the trigger adjust it then put it back?  Also did you try the YN568EX builtin profile to see if it will work?
    Yes, I tried. At every power step the flash freezes, I remove it, change the power setting and put it back on. I reached the step when you have to set again the flash on the TTL mode , but after firing two or three times the V6 says "Learning failed" (or a message along these lines). I did this process three times and it failed each one in the same way.
    Carlo, have you tried using the Yongnuo YN568EX (II) profile?

It may work for your YN565 EX.

If it doesn't, I'd try another predefined Canon profile.
    Actually it's the first thing I tried, but I don't think it's working properly. I tried both the YN568EX profile and some of the others.

I put the flash in the ETTL mode, set the V6 with one of the Canon profile but every shot I take has the same output level, even if I'm changing the values on the V6 set as TX and mounted on my camera.

I have bad luck with the Yongnuo flashes! :P
  • edited June 2014
    Well I did not have YN565 to test with at the time I was buying a backup TTL flashes the YN568 was released.  Posibly cactus can figure it out and create a defined profile for it.  We can say Pritty please... :)
  • I will be extremely grateful if Cactus makes a defined profile per this YN! :D

But it's not an emergency, I was just curious to try the learning process. I will find in the next weeks some other TTL flashes to try both the predefined profile and the custom ones.

Thanks again for the patience!