Not able to fire RF-60 in HSS, using V6ii on Nikon D-600

edited January 2017 in V6 II Problems
Hi, 
I have recently got a V6(ii) and am pairing it with two RF-60 (Firmware 204). I am not sure what's happening but when I am using my flashes on anything above 1/250s, I start to see banding at the bottom of image. Before this flash speed, everything works like a charm though. 

I am using it with Nikon D-600 and it definitely is turned into FP mode so that's not the problem. Also, I am making sure to hit Multi/HSS button to enable A symbol, which I believe refers to HSS being enabled, on S mode.  

Can anyone please help in this regard?

Regards,
Hafiz

Comments

• Hi Hafiz,

Don't do this as this activates the old "HSS Sympathy mode".  RF60 on v2.04 HSS is on by default, you don't need to do anything.
    ...  Also, I am making sure to hit Multi/HSS button to enable A symbol, which I believe refers to HSS being enabled, on S mode.  

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Also, be sure to half-press camera shutter button if you are using auto-detect on the TX unit so that the V6 II will recognize the camera as Nikon.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited January 2017
    Hi Antonio, 

Thanks very much for support. 

My v6 ii is definitely detecting my camera as I have set it on Auto, as right after I turn it on, and half press shutter, it detects and shows Auto (Nikon) so I am sure that's not a problem. I have also reset my flash to avoid turning HSS Sympathy mode on. But unfortunately, even after these steps, I am not able to get rid of light band at the bottom of my image. I am attaching a sample shot for your understanding of problem. 

Also, I did some more experimentation and turned the "Power Sync" on to see how it works. And even at 1/1600s, there was no light band which was a treat but of course picture was too over exposed, and not something I was after. 

Can you please advise what's happening and why is this light band in "Normal HSS" just not getting fixed for me? 

Regards,
    Hafiz
  • Does your D600 gives you option to select the x-sync speed?
    If so, set it to 1/250s and try again.

For Power Sync, you may require to adjust the timing manually. While in the menu, press OK and adjust the dial.  Refer to the Quick Start Guide or user manual for instructions.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thanks Antonio for help. My camera is already on 1/250s as I made sure that I have this enabled. I am not really having any luck with HSS. Need your help, pls. 

I have got two RF-60 which I am pairing with one V6ii but both of them are giving me these light bands at anything above 1/250s. 
  • edited January 2017
    In fact on my D-600, it gives two options, 1/200s (Auto FP) and 1/250s (Auto FP). I have set it at 1/250s (Auto FP) but no success as yet. 
  • Upgraded V6ii firmware to 1.1.006 but still no luck. 
  • In fact on my D-600, it gives two options, 1/200s (Auto FP) and 1/250s (Auto FP). I have set it at 1/250s (Auto FP) but no success as yet. 

Try setting the X-sync speed to 1/200S and see if that helps?

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio,

Tried that by syncing at 1/200s (Auto FP) but still no luck. Both my flashes give the same light banding when triggered by V6ii. And it starts right after sync speed i.e. 1/320s, 1/500s etc. 
  • Hello @Hafiz,

I am checking in with R&D and will get back to you as soon as we can.
    FYI we don't have a D600 in the studio so we can't test it out right away for you.

In the meantime, if you could do a factory reset of both the V6 II and RF60, and let the V6 II do its auto-detect thing, see if it reognizes the camera as Nikon automatically.  Only thing you should adjust on the V6 II is the work range - set it to Short.  (Menu > Radio Setup > Work Range).

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio,
    Thanks for all the advice. I have taken all the steps as advised and changed radio setup work range to short but still light bands are just not getting away. Not sure why but it just doesn't seem to be working for me. I ordered two RF-60 but none of them are working on HSS. I tried uploading video of live demonstration but its not getting uploaded - maybe too big. I can send it through to you if you wanted to see the issue. 
  • Thanks @Hafiz,

Please do send the video to us at info@cactus-image.com

Also if you could also include sample images showing the light bands, we might be able to tweak it on the V6 II.

Thank you and we look forward to fixing this for you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thanks for posting the image Hafiz. I'm sure we will be able to get the Cactus V6ii & RF60 setup working correctly. It works perfectly on my D700, D700 & D7000.

A few suggestions :
    1) make sure your V6ii is on Normal HSS (in the function menu)
    2) for testing purposes please have the camera at ISO 100-200, so the flash can be set to higher power levels

Could you post an images taken with a shutter speed of 1/320 and 1/500 please?
    Cactus flash and radio triggers - Australia wide shipping
    www.imagemelbourne.com.au
  • Thanks for posting the image Hafiz. I'm sure we will be able to get the Cactus V6ii & RF60 setup working correctly. It works perfectly on my D700, D700 & D7000.

A few suggestions :
    2) for testing purposes please have the camera at ISO 100-200, so the flash can be set to higher power levels

Thanks very much Image Melbourne for support - Much appreciated. I have uploaded both images with tV6ii on normal HSS, and camera settings as ISO 100, and shutter speed 1/320s and 1/500s. T
    Regards,
    Hafiz 
  • edited January 2017
    Thanks @Hafiz,

Please do send the video to us at info@cactus-image.com

Also if you could also include sample images showing the light bands, we might be able to tweak it on the V6 II.

Thank you and we look forward to fixing this for you.

Hi Antonio, 

Thanks for the support. I have added two images in my post above to Image Melbourne and am adding two more with this update. 

The video size is quite big - over 150MB - For some reason I am unable to share link here. I have sent the same to you in an email. Thanks.
  • edited January 2017
    Thanks for posting the image Hafiz. I'm sure we will be able to get the Cactus V6ii & RF60 setup working correctly. It works perfectly on my D700, D700 & D7000.

A few suggestions :

Hi Antonio,

I have sent the video through to your email. Please check and let me know. 

Regards,
    hafiz
  • Thanks @Hafiz for posting the images. And we also received your link to the video. I forwarded them to R&D and will get back to you within the next two days.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thanks @Hafiz for posting the images. And we also received your link to the video. I forwarded them to R&D and will get back to you within the next two days.
    Thanks very much Antonio. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers. 
  • Hi Antonio, Was there an update on my issue with D600, pls?
  • To Hafiz and those with D600.

This Nikon model does not support HSS when it uses the V6 II to trigger the Cactus RF60 / RF60X. Light bands will appear. Unfortunately this cannot be fixed by way firmware.

We have added the Nikon D600 to the Notes on Compatibility yesterday,.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• To everyone who might be wondering the outcome of my problem. 

I have got 100% refund after it was confirmed that the issue cant be resolved. Although I am not too happy as I had to return the units, but the after sales support I have received from Cactus is just anything I would expect from world class companies. Thanks very much Cactus and all the support team. I am sold to your support, and although I have returned the units for now since I cant use them for my requirements, I will definitely order them again when I upgrade my body from Nikon D-600. 

Last but not the least, many thanks to ImageMelbourne in Australia through which I bought them and they remained in touch with me, and tried to troubleshoot to make it work for me during all this time, Thank you and all the best. 
  • Thank you @Hafiz for dropping the message.

We are sorry to have you go through this but hopefully our future trigger model will be able to solve this compatiblity issue. But by that time you might have a new camera? :)

Thank you again and all the best to you too!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hafiz
    Hi, hope you re still here, I also have a problem with the RF60 nd the V6 ll, I bought this setup just last month, I cant get it ro fire off camera from my NIKON D3, can I hear what problems you had and how you solved it or did you just return it back to Cactus?

Many thanks
    Enrique