Nikon SB 28 Preflash

I need advice please;

I want to use my light meter but the preflash from my Nikon SB 800 mounted on a V6ii prevents this.

1) Will a Nikon SB 28 Preflash when mounted on a V6 ?

2) Can I use a V6ii as a transmitter (TX) to control a V6 (RX) with a Nikon SB- 28 mounted on it?

Cheers

Comments

• You won't be able to use a light meter because with flash profile selected on V6 II RX, the flash is in TTL mode and there'll be a pre-flash.  The only way is to set the flash in Manual mode, but with that you loose wireless control capabilities so there's no point in doing so?

SB-28 runs on Analogue TTL. It won't work on the V6 II, which is purely digital.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thank you, but what I need to know is if the the SB 28 will work on the V 6 version? If so will it preflash? And can the older V 6 be triggered by the V6 II version?
  • V6 II (TX) can trggier an original V6 (RX) under camera's x-sync speed.

Nikon SB-28 is compatible with the V6, as listed on our website: http://www.cactus-image.com/v6.html

There's no pre-flash on the original V6.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • @Ants
    The SB-28 will not use a pre-flash on the V6. I know that for sure as long as you use one of the V1.1.XYZ firmware versions.

However, in this case, the V6 will not work with the V6II. For the V6 to fully respond to a V6II, the V6 needs the latest V2.1.001 firmware version. I believe that even with V2.1.001 the V6 receiver will still fire an SB-28 without a pre-flash but Cactus or someone owning this gear would have to confirm this, if you want to be absolutely sure.
  • Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!