No zoom control on Shanny SN600FGZ

I just picked up the new Shanny SN600FGZ (for Pentax) for when I just want a simple speedlight system.

The V6 II receiver isn't detecting it as a Pentax flash, although I can control the power output when I forced the V6 II to expect a Pentax system flash.  The zoom control doesn't work at all though.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Hmm... my guess is something may be missing on Shanny's version of the P-TTL? Or at least the interface between V6 II and the flash.

What happens if you manually select another Pentax flash model?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I've tried all of the profiles under Pentax and none of them are working for zoom at all.  It's quite happy to zoom on the camera, so there is definitely communication between the camera and the flash that's allowing it, but not when used remotely on the V6 II.
  • Thanks for the information paulster.

But for now, at least power can be adjusted remotely.

We will look out for this Shanny model.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Antonio

I want to also add that the V6 II won't reliably fire the Shanny SN600FGZ from the 645Z.

The test button on the Tx unit fires the flash perfectly (with the green led coming on on both the Tx and Rx units), but when the camera fires it's lighting the green led on the Tx unit and not on the Rx unit and consequently the flash doesn't fire.  Occasionally it does, but it's more miss than hit.

FW version is 1.1.007 on both Tx and Rx units.

My V6 set in Rx mode is firing reliably even when the V6 II won't.
  • Thanks @paulster, we are getting multiple reports of a Pentax problem and our R&D team is looking into it right now. It will be fixed on the next firmware release - which we hope to release within the next couple of weeks.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thanks.  I saw the other thread after this and noticed that there are issues even when staying totally within Pentax hardware, so it seems to be the same problem.
  • Our testing firmware got this fixed. Yey!

We will run internal tests and get this baby off for release, should be 1.1.008. Gotta check with @raychan :)

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Antonio

No progress on 1.1.008.  Tx unit properly detects the 645Z camera as Pentax, test button on the Tx unit fires the flash on the Rx unit, but pressing the shutter doesn't fire the flash.

Note that I always use back button focus, just in case that makes any difference to how the shutter behaves.

Anyway, my V6 Rx is still working just fine with the V6 II Tx.  It's only the V6 II to V6 II communication I'm having problems with.
  • The TX mounted on your 645Z, you will need to set the camera to <TYPE 1>.

More info on second page of the PDF, third paragraph:
    https://www.cactus-image.com/cactus_v6ii_fwupdate_notes.pdf

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• I'll try that tomorrow. Note, however, that your documentation says you need TYPE1 when using Canon flashes. It doesn't say for Pentax flashes, which is why I didn't try it.
  • You're right. But let's see if the same applies to Pentax flashes too.

We don't have the 645Z right now in the office so we can't verify for you right away.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Setting TYPE 1 didn't seem to make any difference.  Test flashes still worked fine between V6 II units, but I couldn't get a flash from the camera.

I did get a single flash after I changed the profile on the Rx unit from Pentax Auto to one of the Pentax 540 models, but that was a one-time event and it went back to failing to flash again after that.
  • Thanks for reporting. Seems like something is still wrong with Pentax flashes. We are looking into it.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Are we going to get some concerted focus on the Pentax issues prior to the team working on the new TTL functionality?  I'm dead in the water at the moment with my V6II system, and the reports of Pentax issues are myriad here.  It's just as well I had a V6 to use as a receiver in the meantime.
  • Certainly yes we are. I am forwarding your report to the R&D team.

We will find a solution ASAP.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager