Is there a chance that Cactus will implement TTL?

Just wondering whether there is a chance for Cactus to implement TTL in some way? I may be wrong, but it seems they already have reverse engineered a lot of TTL protocols so I think this shouldn't be too hard to add? 

Comments

• We are studying the possibilities so it's not completely impossible to implement TTL in the future.

How do you use TTL wirelessly?
    Is there a particular function? Ratios? Or just the pure joy and simplicity of automated process and you just need to tinker with +/- a couple EV steps  to fill in the gaps when needed?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I use TTL wirelessly for quick shots with off-camera flash. For example I do some pet photography so I can't really direct the "model" but just have to use what I get. Under these changing circumstances it would be great to have TTL since there is no time for adjusting the flash power manually. I would actually be happy if I could use the Cactus devices as a sort of wireless TTL cable that just passes through the TTL signal.

Does this make sense?

I use Fuji BTW.
  • IMHO, I prefer the consistency to manually adjust the flash power. If the circumstances change I can quickly adjust the camera values (Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and even Exposure Value compensation) if I need more or less ambient light, flash light or both.
    Remotely adjust the flash power with the V6II & V6IIS is almost as easy like adjust the aperture or the shutter speed on the camera.
    Remote TTL can be easily messed with the rim, back or hair light.
    Adjust the remote TTL via the flash EV compensation and or the camera EV compensation is tricky, is a process of trial and error.
    Of course, this is the way I like to work. Anyone can have any other methodology and is perfectly valid.
  • IMHO, I prefer the consistency to manually adjust the flash power. If the circumstances change I can quickly adjust the camera values (Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and even Exposure Value compensation) if I need more or less ambient light, flash light or both.
    Remotely adjust the flash power with the V6II & V6IIS is almost as easy like adjust the aperture or the shutter speed on the camera.
    Remote TTL can be easily messed with the rim, back or hair light.
    Adjust the remote TTL via the flash EV compensation and or the camera EV compensation is tricky, is a process of trial and error.
    Of course, this is the way I like to work. Anyone can have any other methodology and is perfectly valid.
    TTL definitely has its drawbacks but it's a nice option to have. I mainly asked because Cactus must already have very good knowledge of TTL protocols so I t think it may not be too hard for them to add.
  • Thanks for the comments guys.

Hopefully we could dig our way through!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • For me all arguments are valid!
    Normally the manual control of more then one flash is the better solution, you don´t get unwanted results by changing focus or zoom.
    But on the other side sometimes full automatic TTL is also useful. I would prefer a +/- EV for each channel to adjust the power.
  • Thanks for the comments, @rbecker.
    We will keep them in mind in our development.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Antonio,
    Any idea of when the V6 X-TTL firmware is going to be released? I need to buy more triggers specifically for TTL and would love to consolidate to a single brand!  Thanks!
  • Hey there @upwithmike,
    Any idea of when the V6 X-TTL firmware is going to be released?
    Please remind me what camera system are you shooting again?

As announced, Sigma, Sony and Fujifilm will be the first to get them.

It will probably pan out similar to this:
    • By end of April: Sigma
    • By end of May: Sony
    • By end of June: Fujifilm
    Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• I'm using Fujifilm, please let me know if/when there's a beta test for X-TTL for Fujifilm!
  • @upwithmike, please check your PM. Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi there!

I'm also using Fujifilm. I recently purchased a couple of V6II.
    I am also VERY interested in a beta for X-TTL if/when available!

I currently use a Nissin MF-18 ring flash on camera in manual via the Cactus.
    I would LOVE to finally be able to shoot with TTL on Fuji.
  • Hey there @StereoGraphics,

What other flashes do you have? We prefer testers with a wide variety of gear, in particular, Fujifilm system flashes such as the new EF-X500, and other system flashes, Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic, since cross-brand TTL is our testing interest.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi @Antonio

Well, the Nissan MF-18 is made for Canon systems.
    That's why I'm using the Cactus in the first place.
    It bypasses the annoying auto sleep function which completely shuts off the flash after just a short period of time since it natively doesn't have a proper communication with my Fujifilm cameras.
    It doesn't wake up automatically. With cactus it works properly. And I can adjust the flash power from the Cactus.

I also have Canon 550ex, Yongnuo and various studio flashes.

As I mentioned, I would be extremely happy if you'd bring me along as a beta tester as well.

Thanks!

/Daniel

• Hi Daniel,

Good to know the V6 II works with the MF-18.

I believe the Canon 550EX runs on analogue TTL signals only and does not work on the V6 II so it won't work with the upcoing X-TTL firmare.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• I bought my v6ii for use with MFT cameras. Hopefully you will follow your first 3 versions with Support for OlyPan MFT cameras as soon as possible!

If you need a beta tester, I have several bodys and nearly half a dozen different flashes !

Regards
    Reinhard
  • It will probably pan out similar to this:
    Thanks!
    Here shooting Fuji X-T2 and X100F, flashes Metz M400 for Fuji, Metz AF44 for Nikon, and Quantum Trio for Canon, along with projected purchase of a couple of Godox AD360II-N WITSRO TTL, I will highly appreciate X-TTL for Fuji X asap, as I've purchased 3 pieces of V6II recently,
    Can't wait that long!!! :D
    Thanks a lot in advance
    Luis
  • I bought my v6ii for use with MFT cameras. Hopefully you will follow your first 3 versions with Support for OlyPan MFT cameras as soon as possible!

If you need a beta tester, I have several bodys and nearly half a dozen different flashes !

Regards
    Reinhard
    That would be fantastic! Thanks for offering your help in beta testing. It would be best if you have a mix of flashes running on different systems, namely Canon, Nikon and Olympus / Panasonic.

Please send us an email with your list of gear to info@cactus-image.com

Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• It will probably pan out similar to this:
    Thanks!
    Here shooting Fuji X-T2 and X100F, flashes Metz M400 for Fuji, Metz AF44 for Nikon, and Quantum Trio for Canon, along with projected purchase of a couple of Godox AD360II-N WITSRO TTL, I will highly appreciate X-TTL for Fuji X asap, as I've purchased 3 pieces of V6II recently,
    Can't wait that long!!! :D
    Thanks a lot in advance
    Luis
    Yeah we will release it as soon as beta testing is complete. Your patience during this time is much appreciated.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hey there @upwithmike,
    Any idea of when the V6 X-TTL firmware is going to be released?
    Please remind me what camera system are you shooting again?

As announced, Sigma, Sony and Fujifilm will be the first to get them.

It will probably pan out similar to this:
    • By end of April: Sigma
    • By end of May: Sony
    Thanks!

there is a new plan when the Sigma should be released?

If you need a beta testers for Sigma? I would be glad to support you.

Thanks!

• Hey @PIXELFREI

Yes, there is as we are trying to smooth out all the functions and get as much bug as we can.  Right now we are recalibrating flash power outputs.

Thanks for offering your help but we are nearly there, maybe just a week. 

But if you don't mind, we would love to hear your comments once it is released.

Thank you!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager