MFT camera and 2nd curtain flash with v6ii

After an workshop with long time flash pictures I encountered following problem:

If I switch my MFT cameras (GH3, E-M5II, E-M1II) to second curtain, the power output of my flashes (Canon 580II, 550) is to high with exposure times longer than 1 second.

If I do a direct comparison with 1st curtain, the power output at 1/32, 1/64 or 1/128 is the same with 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4 ,8 sec. When I switch to 2nd curtain, the pictures look identical with 1/4, 1/2 or 1 sec. If I then move to 2sec, it looks like the flash uses full power, independent from the selected power. the panasonic behaves like the Olys, but it looks like one stop later (at 4sec)

Is this strange behavior related to MFT cameras, the Canon flashes or he v6ii? I use the 580 profile (FW 1.006), because with the auto profile both flash types are showing some multi-flash behavior, like a pre flash from TTL. This is visible with 1st and 2nd curtain. When I do 2nd curtain longtime with the auto profile, it generates a pre flash before exposure and the exposure flash at the end of the second. Thats not the case with the fixed 580 profile.

Comments

• No idea from anybody?
  • Could you try FW 1.1.007?

Or at least do not use 580EX* flash profile, I think there was a bug with it. Use Canon AUTO flash profile instead.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.