at version 204
Panasonic G7 MFT camera

Not trying to do HSS yet, just
simple triggering of a manual flash attached to a V6 set as Rx from a V6 II set
as Tx

The V6 II set as a Tx will
reliably fire my RF60s.
--- This would indicate to me
that the contacts from the Camera to the V6 II are working.

The V6 II set as a Tx will
NOT
reliably fire a V6 as Rx connected to a manual flash.

If I exchange the V6 II with a
V6 set as Tx it will reliably fire the same Rx connected to a manual flash.

I did the same tests using
another Panasonic MFT camera and got the same results

If
I press the test flash button on the V6 II it will fire the Flash

I
have the V6 II set up for Short range and I have tested it by being both 5 feet
away and at 30 feet away from the Rx unit and it is not reliable.   I
tried it at long range and no improvement

From
my testing it appears that signals from the camera will make it to the V6 II
device as a TX which will send it properly to RF60s but will not send it
properly to a V6 as an Rx unit.   The V6
units will work properly as a Tx to the Rx unit.

Mark

Comments

• Reposted my original text.  Not sure how I messed up the formatting, this should be cleaner

V6 II as Tx  unit at version 1.1.007        Placed in the hot shoe of the camera
    V6    as Tx unit at version 2.1.001
    V6    as Rx unit at version 2.1.001
    RF60    unit at version 204
    Panasonic G7 MFT camera

Not trying to do HSS yet, just simple triggering of a manual flash attached to a V6 set as Rx from a V6 II set as Tx

The V6 II set as a Tx will reliably fire my RF60s.
    --- This would indicate to me that the contacts from the Camera to the V6 II are working.

The V6 II set as a Tx will NOT reliably fire a V6 as Rx connected to a manual flash.

If I exchange the V6 II with a V6 set as Tx it will reliably fire the same Rx connected to a manual flash.

I did the same tests using another Panasonic MFT camera and got the same results

If I press the test flash button on the V6 II it will fire the Flash

I have the V6 II set up for Short range and I have tested it by being both 5 feet away and at 30 feet away from the Rx unit and it is not reliable.   I tried it at long range and no improvement

From my testing it appears that signals from the camera will make it to the V6 II device as a TX which will send it properly to RF60s but will not send it properly to a V6 as an Rx unit.   The V6 units will work properly as a Tx to the Rx unit.

Mark

• Hi

An update.   Good news and bad.   After trying many configurations and several cables plugged into the sync jack of my V6 being used as a receiver, I noticed that the 3.5 mm jack I was plugging in seemed "lose".   Comparing it to my other V6  could tell that there was something wrong with the jack.   I opened it up and the jack assembly was sitting loose in the case.   It appears that it is normally connecting by a bit of spot-soldering but it was now completely loose.   I suspect there was a bit of a contact problem and that over time with my trying to figure out why things were not working consistently it finally broke completely mechanically and electrically loose.

So the good new is when I use a different receiver I now get a reliable flash.  The bad news is that this unit cannot be used as an Rx wired to fire a mono-light but could be used as a Tx if I need it or to fire a flash mounted on top of it when in Rx mode.

Mark
  • Hello Mark,

Ah-ha!  Mystery solved.

Sorry to hear about the loose contact. It's not unheard of and it happens sometimes.

Thanks for taking the time taking apart the casing. If you could do without one unit for a few weeks you can send it back for repair. If not like you said you could continue to use it as a dedicated transmitter.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • How do I send it back for repair, do I need an RMA number?  How do I initiate sending it back?
  • Just send it back:

Harvest One Ltd.
    11D, Block 2, Koon Wah Mirror Factory (6th) Industrial Building,
    7-9 Ho Tin Street, Tuen Mun,
    New Territories,
    HONG KONG

No RMA needed, if you bought it from Cactus Store, best to include your order number for our easy reference.

Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I purchased it from Gadget Infinity in Hong Kong on 12-06-2014.  Is it still covered and do I need an RMA?

Mark
  • Hi Mark,

it is no longer covered since it's over the 1-year warranty period.

There will be a $15 repair fee and you will also need to pay for the return shipping (Registered Airmail costs roughly $10 depending on your location).

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager