Problems with GH4, mostly not doing HSS

I'm having trouble getting my lights to fire nicely with a pair of V6ii triggers.
The camera I'm using is a Panasonic GH4. For lights I have Interfit S1 strobes, Canon 430EXii, Cactus RF60.

With the Interfit S1 I have it set up as follows:
GH4 with V6ii set to TX, camera set to m43, flash set to m43
V6ii set to RX, with flash set to Manual. 1/8" cable from sync port on V6ii going to sync port on S1

If the RX is set to anything other than Manual it won't fire the strobe. In Manual it fires properly at 1/250sec shutter and below but even with the S1 set to HSS it won't fire without banding above 1/250.

The other setup I was trying with the S1 was as follows:
GH4 with V6ii set to TX, camera and flash both set to m34
V6ii set to RX, Interfit transmitter for Canon in hotshoe, V6ii set to Canon flash.

When I push the release button on the TX V6ii it is received by the RX and fires the S1 through its transmitter properly. When I try to trigger it with the camera and take a photo it doesn't fire the S1 at all. I don't get why it would work by pushing the TX release button but not when I use the camera shutter.

My third case is getting the V6ii to fire any of my RF60 units or my 430EXii in HSS. All flash units are set to HSS mode but will not sync above 1/250 shutter.

Hopefully I'm just being dumb and not setting something properly.

Comments

• From a fellow forum member, who also has the GH4, he finds out that once the camera went into power saving mode, it loses HSS. You will need to restart the V6 II.

Give that a try!

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the issue. In all of my testing the camera hasn't been woken up out of sleep mode. The camera has always been awake followed by the V6ii being turned on.
  • Interesting.

So does your V6 II detected the camera system as "O"?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Yes, it seems to have no problem detecting it as "O".
  • Thanks for confirming that, Blair.

We don't have a GH4 in the studio so we cannot give any advise as we have not tested one. That said we will try and get our hands on one in the next two weeks.

Your patience during this time is much appreciated.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager