Profoto B2 with Cactus and Fuji HSS?

I am looking to buy some Profoto B2 tomorrows and am wondering if I get the Cactus receivers will I be able to trigger the Profoto B2's with Hss and which receivers and how many do I need.

Comments

• You will likely also need to Air Remote, at least that's the case with the B1.

You don't necessary need to connect the Air Remote transmitter, you just need it to turn Hi Speed on.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • But will it work on my Fuji and which air remote do I get
  • Yes, you can get HSS on your Fujifilm with the V6 II.

But you need to find out how you can switch on HSS (Hi Speed mode) on the B2. Hopefully it's the same as the B1.

Good luck!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • It should be right ? Anyone with experience and which air remote do I buy
  • Why not confirm direclty with Profoto?

I am only guessing the B2 would behave similar to the B1. But maybe you don't even need the Air Remote. Just ask your lcoal Profoto dealer how to turn on the Hi Speed mode on a B2.

At the moment there's only Canon and Nikon version. There may be more in the future, so in case they ask you what camera you are using, just pick one of the two.

Cheers.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• I think I'm right is saying that with the Nikon Air Remote, HSS is turned on only in the Nikon camera, not on the Air Remote, whereas with Canon, it can be turned on in both the camera and the Canon Air Remote.
    I have had partial success by putting my Nikon Air Remote on the V6 receiver and the V6 transmitter on the Fuji.  The Nikon Air Remote thinks it's on a Nikon camera, so that is fine, and HSS is achieved, but the problem I have is that HSS is always on, forced or not.  It stays on even when I switch the Air Remote to manual.  So this is a good solution when I want HSS with Fuji / Profoto B2 but not for use below the sync speed.
  • Which air remote I just have the normal one not made for any
  • I think Antonio is suggesting using either the Canon or Nikon Air Remotes to switch HSS on and off on the Profoto B2.  I think this might work with the Canon Air Remote because I believe it allows HSS to be switched on and off on the remote.  However with the Nikon, switching HSS is controlled only on the Nikon camera not the remote, so I don't think the Nikon Air Remote will work as an HSS switch (unless on a Nikon camera).
  • That's right, the Air Remote for either Canon / Nikon, as those do have a "HI-S" mode. I don't think the older Air Remotes have this ability?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio
    I think it might work for the Canon version because it allows switching of HSS on and off on the remote (but I've not tried it..), but the Nikon version, which I have, does not allow this. Here, HSS switching is via the Nikon camera only, not via the remote - the remote just shows passively that HSS has been selected by the Nikon camera.
    The way to get HSS to work with the Nikon air remote (which is the one I have) is to put the remote on the V6 RX.  This works, but as I said in an earlier post, HSS is always on, whether or not you force it via the V6 TX on the Fuji X camera.
  • Thanks again for pointing that out. We haven't tried the Nikon version so your insight is much appreciated.

So HSS is always on = the B1/B2 never fires a normal flash and always a long flash pulse?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio
    Sorry for delayed response - been away!
    Yes, it seems that way.  Can't get a normal flash with this set-up; HSS is always on and B2 power range 7 - 10 even below the sync speed.
    Regards, Nick

• since it's always in HSS mode means B2 works with your Fujifilm above x-sync consistently. But when you shoot below x-sync, the flash power is under?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio

I can confirm some of behaviour that Nick (Lowden) reported with the Nikon Air-Remote. 

The power range of the B2 is from 7-10. With the latest firmware (released 15 May 2017) installed on the B1, the power range is now from 4-10.

With the new B1 firmware HSS is still always on resp. no normal flash possible but flash power is consistent (same above as well as below sync speed).

Tested with the GFX 50s and Profoto Air-Remote for Nikon.

Lets hope, Profoto soon brings a firmware update for the B2 as well with what ever changes they made for B1/B1x that enabled a power range from 4 - 10.

Regards, Sandro
  • Hi Sandro, thanks for chiming in. 

If you guys no longer shoot on a Nikon, maybe it would be easier to trade your Nikon version for a Canon version of the Air Remote. That way, you will have the freedom to toggle between normal flash and HI SPEED (HSS / FP) mode.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio

Thanks for letting me know. I suspected, that using the Canon version would allow that. 

But, since there are rumours, I was hoping that Profoto would release a dedicated Fuji trigger this year. Combined with the fact that these triggers aren't excactly cheep, I had postponed buying another Profoto trigger so far. 

Might have to look into it though, if there isn't going to be a Fuji version any time soon.

Best, Sandro
  • Sure, they "aren't exactly cheap" - as they are over $400 a piece.

In the meantime you can still accomplish the same image with two (2) or more V6 II transceivers. 

The only thing missing would be remote power control directly on the V6 II, but you could still do this with your existing Nikon Air Remote.  
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• hi i can confirm this works.... i have both the Fuji XT2 and Fuji GFX. to make this work you need to do the following

1. Make sure cactus is up to the latest firmware
    2. Make sure camera is up to the latest firmware
    3. Connect Cactus to Fuji camera. In my case GFX
    4. Connect the PROFOTO AIR-C Remote (for cannon) on top of the cactus
    5. Go into the cactus and set the camera system to Fuji
    6. Go into the cactus and set the flash system to Canon

You can now successfully fire the Fuji at a higher sync speed than 1/125th of a second.

It works very well. It is very bulky having two triggers on the camera ... however until profoto comes out with its own Fuji Air Remote, the cactus is the best system

I also have the added advantage that this system works on my canons and can fire any system of flashes which is great
  • Thanks @robbyjai for sharing your setup.

It's also good to hear both the X-T2 and GFX is working well with the V6 II for High-speed Sync triggering.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager