V6 II with Nikon Camera Profile

edited March 2017 in V6 II Problems
I have a D800 with an SB-900 flash and I just received my (2) V6 II units yesterday.  If I set the Flash to SB-900, the flash profile to  Nikon and the camera profile to Nikon, the flash won't fire when the shutter release on the camera is pressed.  I can successfully use the test button on the transmitter to fire the flash.  In order to get the flash to fire from the camera, I have to change the camera profile to auto..  Is this normal?

Ryan

Comments

• Hello Ryan,

It sounds like V6 II TX unit was not able to detect the same system as Nikon.

Do a factory reset on both transceivers before you the following (Menu > Preference > Factory Reset)

Setting up the transmitter:
    1. Switch on camera
    2. Mount V6 II on camera hot shoe
    3. Switch on the V6 II to TX mode and at the same time half-press camera shutter button a few times
    4. Check to see if there is a letter N inside the camera icon on V6 II's LCD. If you miss the confirmation screen, you can bring up the Status Screen anytime by holding down Menu button and scroll the Dial.

For the sake of testing, we want to check if the transmitter is able to connect with the camera on all the hot shoe contact pins. The default auto-detect will be able to cross-check this.

Now for the flash side.

1. Mount the Nikon SB-900 on V6 II
    2. Switch on SB-900
    3. Set the flash mode to TTL
    4. Turn on HSS / FP function if it's not already on
    5. Switch on V6 II to RX mode
    6. The V6 II will be able to detect the flash system as NIKON and apply an AUTO flash profile. This is shown on V6 II's LCD with a letter N in the flash icon and "AUTO" displayed.

Try using the above setup and see if you are able to control and trigger the SB-900 correctly on your Nikon D800 camera.

Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks.  I had to set reset it to the defaults and leave it alone...lol.
  • Yeah, the default would also get you going.

However not everyone reads the printed fold-out Quick Start Guide, so they may not know it is required to half-press camera shutter button and camera may not be active at the time when you swtich on the V6 II and ends up not recognizing the camera system.

We thought of incorporating on-screen prompts after fresh firmware installation but it may be too preferable as the texts on the screen are relatively small.

For a Nikon user, the auto-detect could be used to diagnose if there's a good hot shoe connection. If you don't shoot on multiple camera brands, you could manually set the camera and flash too.

Though for the flash, we still recommend powering on devices from top down.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks Antonio for your help.  I wanted to give you an update.  Yesterday, we had something strange happen.  Both units have been working great on the auto settings.  We used them yesterday morning, came home before our afternoon session and I was going over something with my wife.  I couldn't get the camera to trigger the flash for anything.  I even reset both units to defaults and it still wouldn't work. I ended up switching the units that were on the camera and the flash and everything started working great. 

In regards to the above thread, we only use these on a Nikon D800 and an SB-900 flash.

I do have one more question.  Do you recommend turning TTL Passthrough on or off?  What's the difference either way?

Thanks for all of your help so far.
  • If switching the units around worked, it could be one of the unit has hot shoe connection issues, either with the SB-900 or with the camera hot shoe.  Or it could also be a RF module issue. 

After the factory reset, at auto-detect, did the V6 II recognize the camera as "N" and the SB-900 as "N" as well? 

FYI you can always pull up the Status Screen by holding down the Menu button and scrolling the dial left / right.

TTL Pass Through is used when you mount an on-camera flash atop the V6 II TX unit, Say if you have another SB-900 flash, you can mount it on the V6 II TX, turn on TTL Pass Through, and your on-camera flash would function as if it is mounted directly on the camera - at least the basic automatic exposure and zoom. FYI it's not a hard-wired pass through but a virtual one.

On the other hand, even if you have an on-camera flash on the TX but you do not need TTL metering then there's no need to turn on TTL Pass Through.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager