Flash Sync Speed investigation X-Pro2

edited March 2017 in V6 II Problems
Hi dears

have made a few tests with the Cactus and have observed the following in HSS OFF (Forced HSS OFF) mode.

1/250th second sync speed - black banding at the bottom (small one but noticeable)
1/200th second sync speed - smaller black banding at the bottom (nearly not noticeable anymore)
1/160th second and longer - no black banding more at all

Did a test with my Jinbei TRS-V trigger (capable up to 1/250th sec sync time) and a Jinbei DPIII300 studio flash - with exactly the same result.

However when I try the EF-X8 Fuji flash on the camera 1/250th sec is no issue at all.

Conclusion seems to be that the Fuji camera look to have a problem with radio trigger timing (have read that some have the same issues with pocket wizards).

Can someone also confirm this issue? I mean in a usual studio environment 1/160th sec is no issue, but still this should be investigated.

Switching into Normal HSS (Forced HSS mode on) leads into a slightly less exposured picture, but over all sync times up to 1/8000th sec exposure is stable.

There could be a small banding over the picture (tried learn HSS like 10 times) but in real world that should not be noticeable.

Thanks for your comments and take care!

Comments

• Thanks for sharing your findings.

TBH we didnt really test much in such a setup - with studio strobes, which the V6 II was designed for, but I shall pass the info to our R&D team.

Learn HSS should only be able to fix sync issues in HSS mode.

Thank you and I'll keep you posted.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.