Will the announced TTL capability work with the RF60 and Fuji X-T2?

Just read the release and I am really excited. Will this work with the Fuji X-T2 and the Cactus RF60? Effectively making the RF60 into a TTL flash? Can the RF60 then also work as an on-camera TTL flash?

Comments

• Since we're at best in a guessing game until everything gets explained by Cactus in detail - I will toss a guess out and say "no" for the RF60 but "yes" for the RF60X since that flash has an "X". although it will be off-camera TTL since that flash still only has a single pin foot.
  • edited March 2017
    Since we're at best in a guessing game until everything gets explained by Cactus in detail - I will toss a guess out and say "no" for the RF60 but "yes" for the RF60X since that flash has an "X". although it will be off-camera TTL since that flash still only has a single pin foot.
    Good guess!
    1. No for RF60
    2. Yes for RF60X
    But the X on the RF60X also stands for Expetitious, about the quick recycling times.

And the X on the upcoming X-TTL stands for "Cross" in cross-brand TTL support.

Hope the multiple underlying meanings to the letter X is not making it too confusing. :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • That's a little disappointing for us who have RF60 already..
  • Just to be clear: No Fuji TTL for the RF60 either on or off camera?
  • As much as we would love to add TTL support on the RF60, there is to a point where support ceases for an older product. Plus, the RF60 has already been discontinued and has been replaced by the RF60X.

I guess it is a common thing to do in the market,  a bit like a discontinued Fujiflm X-E1 is not getting a firmware update to work with the EF-X500 for HSS.

As a small company with only a handful of people we have very limited resources and we already have a lot on our plate. Speaking of which we are working on some exciting new projects and we would love to focus on those and bring them out to the market as soon as we can.

To answer your question, RF60 is a flash with single pin hot shoe, so definitely no TTL on camera on any camera (except maybe on a leaf shutter camera, but that's not really HSS per se). And answer is also a no for off-camera, as mentioned above.

Thank you and I hope you find the answers satisfactory. :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited March 2017
    Obviously it's a little disappointing. I certainly would have bought an RF60X if I needed a new one but replacing my two RF60 flashes which I bought only last year is quite an investment to get TTL. Especially since the RF60X is almost the same as RF60.I understand your reasoning but this decision doesn't install brand loyalty in me.
  • Totally understand where you are coming from.

But HSS was already a "gift" :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• It's never too late to change your mind :-)

One more question: Which transceivers will work with TTL? V6, V6ii or will there be a V7?
  • It's never too late to change your mind :-)

Of course, if we've got some free time. ;)
    One more question: Which transceivers will work with TTL? V6, V6ii or will there be a V7?
    Only the V6 II with X-TTL firmware installed.

V7?  Should be? We can't confirm as that is in future tense.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thanks. That's good to know. Looks like I'll have to replace my whole Cactus equipment to use TTL.
  • If you need TTL then sounds like the right route :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• After thinking about this for a little I think what bothers me is that if I had bought another flashes instead of the RF 60s  I wouldn't have to replace them for TTL. Seems buying Cactus devices was a mistake. Not a good way to treat customers. I think before I buy RF60x I will get some other brand. The Yongnuos are even cheaper.
  • If you'd bought other flashes that already had TTL then they'd work with this new firmware.

The RF60 was only ever sold as a manual, non-TTL flash, and is now discontinued.

Cactus are gifting you something by retro-fitting TTL to the V6 II and RF60x flashes (which is functionality they were never sold or advertised with) and you're still unhappy.  Other manufacturers would have introduced new products and made you buy something completely new to get the additional functionality.  If TTL was going to be such a big deal for you then why invest in a manual system to begin with?
  • If you'd bought other flashes that already had TTL then they'd work with this new firmware.

The RF60 was only ever sold as a manual, non-TTL flash, and is now discontinued.

Cactus are gifting you something by retro-fitting TTL to the V6 II and RF60x flashes (which is functionality they were never sold or advertised with) and you're still unhappy.  Other manufacturers would have introduced new products and made you buy something completely new to get the additional functionality.  If TTL was going to be such a big deal for you then why invest in a manual system to begin with?
    I knew that Cactus is a manual system. Back then there was no wireless TTL for Fuji available so manual was the only choice if you wanted TTL or not. 

I am just frustrated that I paid hundreds of dollars last year for RF60s. I thought about getting other flash brands with a V6ii but then I decided to go with RF60 because I thought it would probably work best with Cactus transmitters. Now Cactus is signalling that I probably shouldn't have bought their own flash but instead should have gone with another brand if I want to stay with the latest features like TTL.

Godox is coming out with with Fuji wireless TTL so I will probably reevaluate my commitment to Cactus and see if I can get the same system cheaper with Godox instead of Cactus since I have to buy new flashes anyway,

This just doesn't seem a smart strategy to keep customers who have invested into the Cactus system  but it's what it is. I am not whining. I just want to point out that this great new feature may actually cause me to go away from Cactus. 

• Well, I guess it's always better to have more!
    ...I decided to go with RF60 because I thought it would probably work best with Cactus transmitters.

That is still the case, since radio is already built-in.  Plus...
    1. You can have remote power control, remote zoom control, remotely turn on / off a group.
    2. The RF60, despite it's only got a single hot shoe pin, it can also offer high-speed sync, something that was made available only last year, by way of a firmware update.
    3. Plus, the RF60 can stay in your camera bag even if you have switched from Canon to NIkon, then from Nikon to Olympus, and from Olympus to Fujifilm. Or you simply shoot on two different camera bodies, it will still work with remote power and zoom control as well as high-speed sync! 
    ... Now Cactus is signalling that I probably shouldn't have bought their own flash but instead should have gone with another brand if I want to stay with the latest features like TTL.

Certainly not what we signalled.

From observing what @Paulster replied to you, he was simply saying when you originally purchased the RF60, your rationale for the purchase wasn't for TTL support.  So if you needed such a function, you would have long gone and got a TTL flash instead.

... This just doesn't seem a smart strategy to keep customers who have invested into the Cactus system  but it's what it is. I am not whining. I just want to point out that this great new feature may actually cause me to go away from Cactus. 

I don't know when did you purchase your RF60, possibly  before when the replacement RF60X was released, in anycase you could call it bad luck that you got the original RF60.

To be honest, it's not our strategy per se. The fact is that we are still a very small company with very limited resources. So we cannot bang up new products like the big players like Godox that you have mentioned, whenever a new feature is available. Therefore we had to work with what we have.

When we released the V6 II supporting High-speed Sync we had to add HSS on the RF60. (Originally the RF60 did not have HSS.)

Now we are going to add TTL on the V6 II, since RF60 was discontinued we only have the RF60X to work with. 

It's not entirely impossible to also add TTL on the RF60, but as mentioned, with very limited resources, we are already up our neck with their various X-TTL firmware versions: Canon, Fujifilm, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sigma, and Sony. So it is of a much lower priority.

As a small business, we must first work on new projects that would bring new business in. As much as we appreicate your choice for Cactus then, the focus now is to first complete the set of TTL firmware. On this note, I hope you could echo with our constraints and difficulties.

This conversation reminds me of how common it is for manufacturers block out functions.  An easy example would be video recording capabilities on DSLR cameras.  If I install a Magic Lantern firmware on my good old EOS 50D, it will suddenly have HD video.  Blocking-out functions are certainly not how Cactus treat their customers.  We always give all that we've got.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio,
    No hard feelings here. I understand you rationale and I appreciate you explaining it. I bought two RF60 last June so I am sure you understand that I am a little disappointed that I bought them right before they became obsolete. Definitely should have bought another flash brand. I didn't buy them for TTL but now that it's coming it would certainly be very useful. Once Cactus delivers the TTL firmware I will reassess the situation and see if I should stick to Cactus or switch to Godox for example.
  • Glad to hear you have no hard feelings... :-)

I guess to conclude it lightly would be to say - bad timing. 

Usually when your needs (market offerings) change, there will be a new perpective. But at the time of purchase it was all good.

For a typical manufacturer, there's a point where the support of an obsolete product ceases. In most cases it is not even about whether or not it is technically possible to implement or not.

And in our case, we always try our best to support our products at the right time - when we complete all the X-TTL firmware versions.

On the bright side, at least the TTL firmware upgrade is free of charge, right? :-)

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager