Radio Blackspots - Doesn't Trigger Flash

I have two Cactus V6 II, one as a trigger and one as slave and an RF60X.
When I am near to the Slave or RF60X I find that it won't trigger the flash, but when I press the test sync button it works. This is so unreliable, that I am thinking if the product itself is defective.

Comments

• I've a similar problem, but the only difference is that I only use one V6 II (TX mode), because as far as I know, the RF60X has a built-in transceiver. Or do we have to use another V6 II to work this out...?

(This is my first time having a flash & transceiver... so maybe I'm making a mistake on the setup...)
  • First, make sure your V6 II and RF60X are running on the latest firmware versoin.

On the latest firmware on V6 II, the default Work Range is now set to SHORT.  Which is optimized for clsoe range triggering, 10cm to 3m for example.  It will still work in longer distances on an open field.  

FYI, in order for radio waves to be recepted, a minimum distance is required. Otherwise the receiver fails to listen to the entire signal path.

@aVex, how close were you holding them? What work range was set? What firmware version?

@Joey, RF60X does not need to be mounted on a V6 II, as you said it has radio built-in and it can be triggered by a V6 II directly.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Yup, finally get everything to work after a factory reset of the V6 II. Looking forward to seeing Cactus' future products! Will definitely recommend this to my friends. Cheers!
  • @Joey, glad to hear it is working now. And thank you for recommending it to your friends.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • @Antonio - sorry it's taking me so many months to reply! I tried using it yesterday, and I had so many shots where the flash did not trigger. Basically very short distance, the RF60X is directly above the transmitter 1 meter.

The test button works, but when it does not trigger when i press the camera shutter. Out of 10 photos maybe 50% success.

Firmware 1.1.010
  • Hi @aVex

The latest firmware version is 1.1.011. Please use the newest release.

1. Please also check the working range, is it set to Short already? 
    2. The 50% misfire, what flash are you using? RF60X?
    3. What camera are you using?
    4. What flash are you using on the V6 II (RX)?

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager