Pentax 645Z with Godox AD600B

Hi

Is anyone using V6II with Pentax 645Z and the Godox AD600B. I am thinking of buying the AD600B for outdoor work. I particularly need to know if you can get HSS. Will the Cactus V6II provide wireless TTL to the Good AD600B ?.

Comments

• Hello @chickwit,

If you are able to turn on the HSS mode on the Godox AD600 by itself, all you need is a trigger signal to fire the flash and it will give you the long pulsing flash to sync with your camera (645Z).  

Mount a V6 II on camera hot shoe, in TX mode

Connect another V6 II to the Godox unit using a 3.5mm sync cord.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi

Is anyone using V6II with Pentax 645Z and the Godox AD600B. I am thinking of buying the AD600B for outdoor work. I particularly need to know if you can get HSS. Will the Cactus V6II provide wireless TTL to the Good AD600B ?.
    Hi Chickwit I also use 645z along with cactus V6 II. Replying to your question about Godox AD600 and achieving HSS (via long flash duration). I think that you will get gradation and perhaps a bit of banding for sure, because the flash duration for Godox may not be long enough.

I know of photographers who has used the older but similar to Godox the Jinbei 600 and their results were what I described.

I would recommend strobes that has flash duration of less then 450th of a second to be able to use HSS without banding or graduations.

I use Speedotron strobes 102 (225th/s @ full power) and 103 (450/s @full power) and they work just fine and they also have portable battery packs. Also the cheaper option is the Photogenic Studio Max III the 320 WS strobe that has a flash duration of 125th/s but you will need to get a portable AC/DC power pack which photogenic along with other third party manufacturers also sells them.

Lastly heard of a rumor but could not verify yet, is that 400ws strobe from Cononmark DL4.0 (it comes with its own AC/DC portable power pack) may also do the trick of HSS as well.

Lastly if you are well funded you could go with the priolite strobes similar to Godox but they work HSS just fine at any power levels.

Good Luck.

• Have an update for you Chickwit.

Regarding the Godox AD600 it would appear that with the newer firmware update Godox provided for their strobe. In HSS mode the flash duration is now listed between 220th/s to 10000th/s which would definitely make the strobe work with the 645Z using Cactus V6 II triggers.

This information is listed in FlashHavoc site. If you do get the strobe please let us know how it worked with your Pentax 645Z.

Cheers!
  • Hi

I have tried using the V6II with a Godox X1C on my 645Z using the latest FW for the X1C and the AD600. I am NOT able to make it work without using 1:1 power and it still shows a band of black at the top of the frame at any shutter speed above the native 125th, even 160th. At any power level below 1:1 I just get a totally black frame. I own Priolites, but want ot sell them and use Godox lights.
  • The V6II and the X1C do not work well together, at least not for all Godox flashes. 

See for instance this thread on pentaxforums.com on V6II + Godox trigger + Godox flash compatibility issues.

You may have a better chance when using Godox's older FT16 trigger system but perhaps another trigger from Godox will work as well. It is very difficult to maintain an overview of what is working and what is not, given that the Godox trigger+flash combination also plays a role.

I guess someone should produce a compatibility matrix.
  • Hi everyone

An update:-

I now have two Godox AD600B lights with a good X1TC trigger. If i put the trigger on my pentax 645Z and use the AD600B flash when I press the shutter the flash does NOT go off. If I press the test button on the X1TC then the flash goes off. So the wireless connection is working but the camera to trigger is not working. I have version U19 on the X1TC which is one of the newest and Version 2.4 on the AD600B.

However, if I put the Cactus V6II on the Pentax and then piggy back the X1TC then the trigger does trigger the flash with shutter speed upto and less than 1/125. It will NOT go over 1/125.

I have just ordered a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack sync cord to see if that works. I will keep you updated.
  • Hi

I now have a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack and I got HSS with the AD600B and Pentax645Z in Manual. I went up to 1/4000.  So the combo is:-

Pentax 645Z with Cactus V6II set to Camera {P} and flash {other} = TX
    AD600B with Cactus V6II set to flash {other} = RX with 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack sync cord (£5) for those who need to know (LOL).

However, I still don't know how to get TTL via the Cactus with or without HSS to the AD600B if anyone knows then please advise. 

I have yet to try the Multi setting on the AD600B but my thought is that I will not get HSS but I will try that tomorrow.

Regards chickwit
  • edited August 2017
    You won't get TTL via the V6II. The current firmware does not support TTL.
    The "TTL pass-through" functionality is meant for on-camera flash but there is no translation from P-TTL to E-TTL (i.e., what your X1C trigger expects).

There is an X-TTL version for Pentax to be released sometime (Cactus have asked for alpha testers a short while ago), but I wouldn't bet that it will address your problem as Cactus are not officially supporting trigger stacking.
  • Just to chime in about trigger stacking - indeed this has never been the design of the V6 II. The top hot shoe is only for mounting on-camera TTL portable flash and not another transmitter. 

As mentioned above by @chickwit, the better way to work with a Godox AD600, or any studio strobe with HSS capability, is to connect a V6 II unit via 3.5mm sync cord. 

I am too waiting for the green light from R&D for beta testing.  Will keep y'all posted.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hello Everyone,

Anyone tired to use the Jinbei HD610 (pulsing HSS) with Pentax 645z along with Cactux V6 II?

I am thinking of either mounting the Jinbei trigger on top of a  V6II unit or connect the V6II directly to the storbe itself via cable.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

• Hi Ian,

Use a Sync Cable to connect a V6 II RX to the Jinbei is your best bet - our recommended setup. 

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thanks Antonio!  Do I have to choose a different profile in the v6 II mounted on the pentax 645z?
  • Yes, you do.  TYPE 1.

It is listed on V6 II's page under compatibility.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hello everyone just to give provide an update on the Orlit Rovelight RT 610 aka Jinbei HD 610 with the Pentax 645z.  

As Antonio stated previously I connected the receiver V6II unit to the RT 610 via 3.5 mm cable and chose manual flash in the profile and it worked.  HSS works quite well from f2.8 - f11 at or under 1000/s shutter speed without any banding or gradation (i used full power in the Orlit)

But for higher shutter speeds (1600 to 4000) and with smaller aperture like f16 and so on.  A tiny banding starts appearing in the bottom of the frame (around 2 or 3%) and some gradation starts to happen which for some shutter speeds it can be easily fixed in post processing.  

It should also be noted that this is a 600ws monolight and at around f16 it has reached its limits power output wise.
  • Ok,

and why (in the chase of HSS) would you go for F16 and HSS???
    Mostly it is used to be able to flash at wide open apertures.
    Exception: when freezing motion at sync speed doesn't get the job done because of too little difference ambient light/flash light. Then you shorten shutter time to 1/8000, but have to open up diafragm (again) for ambient light balance from the background. Unless you want to make daylight "nightshots". :)
    Still.... when would you use F16 and 1/8000th of a second with HSS???