Fuji X-T1 and X-T10 with Jinbei HD600V

I ran into problems when I was trying to enable HSS with the Fujis and the Jinbei. 

- both cameras have the latest firmware
- the V6ii has the latest firmware
- the V6ii is connected to the HD600V via sync cable and set to RX, did not change any settings
- the camera is turned on before the V6ii so it can be recognized
- the X-T10 is recognized as a Fuji by the V6ii
- the X-T1 is not recognized by the V6ii
- no changes are made manually on the V6ii
- on both cameras the V6ii is able to learn the HSS by shooting at 1/1000
- none of the Fujis can shoot HSS – the Jinbei fires but the flash does not affect the exposure on 1/1000. you can see banding on 1/500 and 1/250
- "Force HSS" can be enabled but the flash will not fire at all

- the Jinbei does work when I'm not trying to shoot HSS

cross-check with other systems:

- X100s works fine up to 1/3500 (of course… it's leaf shutter. just wanted to know if this works.)
- Nikon D80 (thanks to my 9-year-old daughter) is recognized by the V6ii, is able to shoot HSS with the Jinbei at 1/4000… no banding, just fine. 
- using the D80 with some SB600 and SB800 units on HSS works fine as well. It's super cool to control the power with the V6ii btw!

Ok… I know that other photogs use Fujis with the Jinbei HD600V shooting HSS (and super sync). So what am I doing wrong? Did I miss something? I'd love to shoot my Taekwondo team with HSS this weekend to get some shots of the new European and World Champions. I know that I can do it using the 100s and even with the D80 but at the end of the day I want to use my excellent Fuji primes on HSS and not the old gear or my reportage camera.

Any ideas? Would be super cool!

Cheers!

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Hi there @tim_grondstein

You must get the V6 II auto-detect your cameras, especially the X-T1.

Have you removed the hot shoe metal spring plates on your cameras?

Also, try doing <LEARN HSS> at the speed you intend to shoot at, and also aim at the object (of similar exposure level), it would help registering a correct sync time.

Hope this will work out for you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hey Antonio, 

thanks a lot for your help! It really worked. So I'd say it a mixture of piloting error and wrong configuration. Using the intended sync speed and metering really made a difference. 

Working with this unit is really fun, I'm pretty happy that I came up with impressive results in just a few minutes.

I will do more tests with the XT1 and try the XT10 after that. 

Do you know if there is a big difference between HSS and PowerSync on the Jinbei?

Cheers!
  • Hey there Tim,

I am glad it worked out!

... Do you know if there is a big difference between HSS and PowerSync on the Jinbei?

Power Sync only applies to portable flashes that is connected to the V6 II via hot shoe.  

So when you change from <NORMAL HSS> to <POWER SYNC> it does not alter how the Jinbei unit is firing - HSS flash to a normal flash curve - as Power Sync would have on a speedlight. All this, given that the Jinbei unit is connected to the V6 II via a sync cord. Whilst V6 II is giving a simple trigger signal, the Jinbei unit is doing its own HSS thing. 

On some other studio strobe which does not have HSS on board, if they have a long enough flash duration, it may still work when camera is set at fast shutter speeds. The flash duration is so long that it will covers from the start of shutter opening, to after the shutter closes.

The downside to this method is, due to the nature of flash power (pulse) curve, you may notice a strip of the image is a little brighter because the flash pulse trails off.   
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.