Newbie question

Hello,
We have a Panasonic Lumix G5 and are looking to buy two flashes to use for product photography.  W have never used or needed this sort of setup before so I am unfamiliar with any of it.  I am assuming I need a trigger like the Cactus which will trigger the two flashes simultaneously.  None of the product information gives a beginner any useful information in this space.  They assume you know what you are talking about.  

So essentially we will be manually measuring the light and placing the two flashes on stands around the product.  The trigger will be on the camera.  I am expecting the two wirelessly connected flashes to fire when the shutter is pressed.  We haven't bought the flashes yet but will purchase something compatible with the Cactus if it will fulfil our needs.  

So will the Cactus;
a) work on the Panasonic Lumix G5 (if so any limitations we should be aware of)
b) What flashes would you recommend (We are thinking of the Yongnuo because we have been advised they are good value for the performance)  We have a limited budget £50 to £80 per flash?
c) What model Cactus is the best for our needs?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I am not 100% sure about the compatibility with your camera. I am sure that Cactus Staff or other members can help you.
    Sound like the right gear for you are one Cactus V6II to be the trigger and two Cactus RF-60X Flashes. The flashes have the receiver built-in.
    You can use those as you had descreibed before and on the near future are going to have remote TTL compatibility.
  • Hi there @slobbo,

So far we have not received any compatibility issues on the Panasonic G5.  We have an older G2, GX1, GX8 and only the GX8 does not sync up to 1/8000s consistently due to a hardware version.  Considering the G5 released only a year after the GX1, it is highly likely it is also supported.

Like @lansa301 mentioned above, getting the Cactus RF60X may be a better and simpler option because radio is built-in so you have one less connection to worry about. Plus you save the hassle of charging extra batteries for the transceivers for the flashes if you have gotten the Yongnuo you mentioned.

So for your camera, you need one (1) Cactus V6 II:

And for your off-camera flash units:

And yes, within the next few months, we will add wireless TTL capabilities.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.