When TTL passthrough is on, and speed above sync speed, V6 II doesn not fire other flashes

Hello, I'm not sure if it's the expected behaviour.

I have a Pentax K3-II, V6-II with last firm and Metz 48 AF-1 for pentax.
Configuration of my V6 II is:
Camera system PENTAX
Flash system PENTAX
Flash profile Metz 50 AF-1
HSS power-sync

With my flash on top, and TTL-pass, the flash works OK, mettering, zoom, etc. Also I can fire another flash that I have on one V6 (mk I) or fire a trigger connected to the sync port. But when I use speed above 1/180 (Pentax sync speed) the main flash still fires and metter correctly using PTTL-HSS, but no other flashes are fired, also I tried connecting another trigger to the V6 II sync port, but there is no signal.

Is this the expected behaviour ? Is HSS/firing disabled for other flashes except the main flash, when TTL-pass is active and speed is above the flash sync speed ?

Regards,
Javier.

Comments

• That's definitely not the expected behaviour.

What firmware version are you using on the V6II and the V6?

The V6 will only work as a receiver for shutter speeds beyond the sync speed with its very latest firmware version.

I'd try to update all the Cactus devices to the latest available firmware version.
  • Hello:

v6 II: 1.1.010 version (last)
    v6   : 2.1.001 version (last)

When TTL-pass is not selected, I can sync my V6+sb28 using power-sync above sync speeds, also I can fire a V6+AD360 above sync speed. If I put TTL-pass on, then the V6 or a trigger connected to the V6 II's sync port are not fired. When in TTL-pass, the behaviour is the same if I put my pentax flash on the V6 II hotshoe or not.

Up to 1/180 works, 1/200 and above doesn't work.

It seems the problem is in the trasmitter.

Regards.
  • Forgot to comment: sb-28's power is controlled correcty from the V6 II, TTL-pass selected or not.
  • Thanks for reporting, Javier.

I have forwarded your case to R&D and we will get back in 2 business days.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hello I've Pentax K3 II, Cactus V6II and Metz 52 AF-1 ( All updated tu the recent Firmware versions)
    Metz 52 AF-1 - Firmware V 1.4 (Realease on 20.04.2017) - Pentax mount

Cactus V6II - Firmware V1.1.010 (Released on 19 May 2017)

Pentax K3II - Firmware V 1.10 ( Realease on 04 August 2016)

Here are my conclusions of preliminary tests:

TTL pass-through ON
    Tx - camera system to "PENTAX" detected automatically.
    Rx - flash system to "PENTAX", Flash Profile "AUTO PENTAX"

Zoom - Doesnt work if set on camera, just work if set on Cactus Tx
    Power - work if set on Cactus Tx
    HSS - Doesnt work above 1/180 ( K3II Sinc speed)

TTL pass-through OFF

HSS - work above 1/180 ( K3II Sinc speed)

Note: the Flash Profile "AUTO PENTAX" misses the correct connection/Triggering and sometimes misses firering flash, Then need to switch off and on to procede

The I've used a pre-defined profile and try the Metz 44-AF1, and continued to use the Metz 52 AF1 the results are similar, but doent misses the connection often.

TTL pass-through ON
    Rx - flash system to "PENTAX", Flash Profile "Metz 44-AF1"

HSS - Doesnt work above 1/180 ( K3II Sinc speed)

TTL pass-through OFF
    Rx - flash system to "PENTAX", Flash Profile "Metz 44-AF1"

HSS - work above 1/180 ( K3II Sinc speed)

Conclusions.
    1 - The TTL is unusable above Max sinc Speed :(
    2 - Works great on Manual with AutoPentax and other profile
    3 - It would be a great upgrade to have an individual profile for Metz 52 AF-1 on Cactus V6II, to work with all capacities of flash and trigqer

I'll keep testint it.  If there is anything wrong i'm doing or advices pls inform me.. I'll apreciate so much.

Regards

Special thanks to Class A and dfp771

• Sorry to hear that. Your setup is similar to mine, but I have the Metz 48 AF1 instead of the 52 AF1. Have you tried the Metz 50 AF-1 profile ? My flash didn't work with the Metz 44 AF1 profile on my first tests, so I changed to the Metz 50 AF1 profile.

Things that work with TTL-pass

zoom
    focus lamp (on the V6 II)
    good exposure
    max distance on display (changes when you move the apperture or speed dials)
    All works above sync speed too

Things that don't work with TTL-pass
     Above sync speed, V6 II doesn't fire other flashes.

About the zoom, I just select zoom auto on my Metz, and as you change the len's focal length, the flash changes the zoom too. Also don't forget to change to P-TTL HSS mode on your Metz ;). On Cactus V6 II-functions-sync mode, try power sync mode if normal sync mode doesn't work. The two are working for me, anyway.

Regards.
  • Sorry to hear that. Your setup is similar to mine, but I have the Metz 48 AF1 instead of the 52 AF1. Have you tried the Metz 50 AF-1 profile ? My flash didn't work with the Metz 44 AF1 profile on my first tests, so I changed to the Metz 50 AF1 profile.

Things that work with TTL-pass

zoom
    focus lamp (on the V6 II)
    good exposure
    max distance on display (changes when you move the apperture or speed dials)
    All works above sync speed too

Things that don't work with TTL-pass
     Above sync speed, V6 II doesn't fire other flashes.

About the zoom, I just select zoom auto on my Metz, and as you change the len's focal length, the flash changes the zoom too. Also don't forget to change to P-TTL HSS mode on your Metz ;). On Cactus V6 II-functions-sync mode, try power sync mode if normal sync mode doesn't work. The two are working for me, anyway.

Regards.
    I've changed for Metz 50 AF-1 Profile and the results are very decent but diferent then yours
    I've tested the following sets:
    On Tx: Camera System PENTAX  | Flash System PENTAX | Costom Setings OFF | Flash Profile Metz AF50-AF-1
    On Rx: Flash System PENTAX | Flash Profile Metz AF50-AF-1

With TTL-pass
    Zoom  - Doesn't work even with Zoom Auto set on Metz, The zoom is controlled mannualy on Tx
    Focus Lamp (on the V6 II) - It works
    good exposure - Perfect
    max distance on display (changes when you move the apperture or speed dials) - Doesn't work, only changes if set changed on Tx
    All works above sync speed too - Perfect, TTL, on HSS, manual, everything works

I think this is a better approach.
    unfortunatly I Don't have more units to test with other flashes.
    I'll keep waiting for next firmare, to have a complete profile,

Regards.

• Hello:

When TTL-pass is not selected, I can sync my V6+sb28 using power-sync above sync speeds, also I can fire a V6+AD360 above sync speed. If I put TTL-pass on, then the V6 or a trigger connected to the V6 II's sync port are not fired. When in TTL-pass, the behaviour is the same if I put my pentax flash on the V6 II hotshoe or not.

Regards.
    R&D confirms that this is not a bug.
    Because the original V6 does not support HSS so 1/180s is the maximum it can sync at.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hello I've Pentax K3 II, Cactus V6II and Metz 52 AF-1 

For Metz flashes for Pentax you simply cannot use auto-detect.
    Auto-detect WILL NOT work.

You must choose a particular flash profile in order for it to work.

As I see the Metz 50 AF-1 flash profile is much better.  I will pass your observation to R&D.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hello:

Regards.
    R&D confirms that this is not a bug.
    Because the original V6 does not support HSS so 1/180s is the maximum it can sync at.
    Hello again, just to clarify. When you say that V6 does not support HSS, you are referring to Normal HSS as opposed to powersync, is it correct ?
    So I can't have a HSS flash on top of my V6II (using TTL-PASS) and fire a remote flash that only support powersync, at the same time, am I right ?

Regards.

• edited July 2017
    Yes, Normal HSS is not possible on the V6. Only Power Sync works on the V6 (as a RX).

There is only one Sync Mode - meaning once selected, it applies to all groups, and both TX and RX units, TTL pass through or not.

Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager