HSS mode

2»

Comments

• I'm another Pentax shooter who's just acquired a new V6 and RF60. Its good to see this Cactus-specific resource here where we can share ideas and get help.

Its clear that this Pentax issue with lack of camera-generated trigger signal once past the max-sync speed is going to keep on coming back to bite us again and again .... I struggled to understand the 'workarounds' despite reading what was available, but was persuaded to jump in as I really wanted extra power for off-camera HSS work (and didn't need to buy another fully dedicated flash just for that), plus the extra versatility of a radio triggered flash for those awkward places when needed.

I've only had a couple of plays around with HSS so far, using a Pentax K7 and Pentax AF-540FGZII flash on the camera hotshoe. Initial tests were 'mixed' shall we say ! Don't we all just wish it could just work easily!! But thanks to the videos shown here and the extra information above I think I am 'getting' it now ....

So, as I understand things so far ..... regarding the settings on the RF60 we have to manage two things .... 'HSS Sympathy' has to be activated, plus one of two 'Optical Slave' modes has to be set. S1 is set automatically when activating HSS sympathy, but for S2 we have to go into the menu and change that specifically ....

S1 reacts to the TTL Pre-Flash, and so requires the appropriate delay to be set as per the manual guidelines (Pentax is 75-83ms I think).

But if we then change to S2 slave mode we can get full illumination across the frame up to 1/2000sec without setting any delay ..... ? After 1/2000sec we will need to experiment to find the right delays to set depending on the shutter speed .... ?

Does this sound like a reasonable summary? Where I'm still confused is around the S1 delay .... is this delay a fixed value for all speeds, or is it variable depending on shutter speed and aperture (I'm suspecting it is the latter) ?  It is not at all practical to have to keep adjusting the delay setting every time we need to change the shutter speed, and this is something I would do quite a lot when shooting HSS in order to experiment with different ambient brightness effects (aperture tends to stay fixed).

Anyway, overall I'm pleased with the Cactus gear and it integrates well with my two system dedicated flashes. I'm looking forward to getting to know the Cactus system better and of course building it up over time.
  • McGregNi said:

....  It is not at all practical to have to keep adjusting the delay setting every time we need to change the shutter speed...

Actually you don't need to, unless you are switching between normall shutter speeds and high speed sync, for example: 1/160s to 1/2000s. Then you would need to enable and disable the delay on the RF60. If not once you found the sweet spot (delay time) you can practically keep the same setting.

But it is indeed not very practical to fiddle with delay settings in order to shoot HSS. I guess that is why we called it HSS Sympathy mode.It is not the real thing but we included it so that there's an option.

BTW what camera model are you using?

Thanks and let us know how you get on with your settings.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks, I thought I had read somewhere about delay variations due to shutter speed, but glad to hear that is not the case. I think usually once working in bright light that needs HSS then we tend to stay there for a while, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I use a Pentax K7 DSLR. I have been using a V6 with a Pentax flash on top with TTL pass - through ... The Pentax flash triggers another Pentax slave unit and the V6 controls my RF60. It's an interesting mix of TTL automatic and manual flash exposures, and I'm really enjoying using it. The Cactus products are very nice quality, and I've no doubt that I'll expand my Cactus system in future.
  • McGregNi said:

... I use a Pentax K7 DSLR. I have been using a V6 with a Pentax flash on top with TTL pass - through ...

The Cactus products are very nice quality, and I've no doubt that I'll expand my Cactus system in future.

Great and thanks for the kind words! 

Pentax will continue to be on our list of supported system :)

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.