TTL FP with Nikon SB900

edited August 2017 in V6 II Problems
Hi all, I'm using a pair of Cactus V6 II's one on my Fuji X-T2 (as the transmitter), and one , as a receiver on a stand with a Nikon SB900 on it.

After messing around for a few hours last night, I realised to get remote TTL to function correctly, I needed to download the specific latest Firmware for just Fuji and load it on both Cactus units, and now I have the TTL logo showing in the display panel and it all seems to work.

However, as you know, a single press of the jog wheel enables or disables HSS shooting with the Fuji system. Well as I was shooting inside last night, and thus well below the Fuji's normal sync speed of 1/250 sec, I elected to use non HSS mode, so pressed the jog wheel, and confirmed that HSS was off.

However when I look at the screen on the back of my SB-900, it always says TTL FP (FP in Nikon speak meaning high speed sync). I can't seem to find a way of tuning off FP on the flash. If I take the flash off the Cactus, the FP disappears, put it back on, and the FP lights up again. It's not a massive problem but my worry is that if the flash is indeed in FP mode, my flash power and range will be severely limited, which is fine when shooting outdoors at 1/8000 sec (you expect that), but when I'm indoors and at or below the standard sync speed of the camera, I set the HSS mode on the transmitter V6 II to off, but the receiver flash (SB-900) still showed
TTL FP ? Am I doing something wrong.

Comments

• ... as you know, a single press of the jog wheel enables or disables HSS shooting with the Fuji system. 
    This is no longer true.

When you have the FUJ.1.xxx firmware installed on the V6 II - and when it detects the camera with new flash system (working with EF-X500, i.e. X-T2, X-T1, X-Pro2) pressing the Adjustment Dial will let you swap between Power Output and Zoom level output.

If the V6 II detects the camera as the older ones that does not support EF-X500, aka the newer flash system with HSS, i,e, X-Pro1, you would still have to go through Learn HSS and pushing the Adjustment Dial to turn on/off Forced HSS.

So make sure your V6 II has a good hot shoe connection with the X-T2.  Check to see if adjustments made on lens zoom range or shutter speed pops up the new values on the LCD.

As for the SB-900, it showing FP only means it has FP ready, it does fire a long pulsing (weaker) signal unless it has to - when camera shutter is indeed above camera x-sync.  So no worries there.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks Antonio. Good to know that the FP symbol on the Nikon flashes just means "FP" ready and not necessarily actually in FP mode unless the shutter speed increases over the maximum sync speed of the camera.

With regards to your other point though, whilst I agree I was mistaken and you are correct in that pressing the Adjustment Dial will let you swap between Power Output and Zoom level output, am I right in assuming if I put a V6 II directly on the X-T2 hotshoe, then put one of my Nikon speedlights on top of that, as the camera and flash brands are mixed, it won't work in standard TTL mode ?

I.e. if I just want to use my Nikon flash (either SB900 or SB800) as on camera fill (but via TTL) rather than off camera (just as if a Fuji brand flash was put into the hotshoe), then I can't get TTL flash only manual due to them being two different systems. It would therefore always need to be off camera and controlled by a second V6 II to get TTL metering ?
  • edited August 2017
    No, it will still work.

Thus the name of the firmware, X-TTL, where the X stands for cross-brand.

This cross-brand ability doesn't only apply to off-camera flash mounted on a second V6 II RX but also for on-camera flash mounted directly on the V6 II TX unit.

Do note that by default, it's already in TTL mode. So in case you do not want your on-camera flash to operate in TTL, hold down the Menu button for 2 seconds to switch to manual mode.  You can manually adjust the on-camera flash by holding down the Menu button and at the same time scroll the Adjustment Dial. 

You may refer to the Quick Start Guide for X-TTL firmwares here:

X-TTL for Fujifilm: 

X-TTL for SIgma:

X-TTL for Sony:

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.