Set-up for Fuji X-T2

Hi all,

I do not use my off-camera flash set-up that often and the downside of that is that I forget the exact settings for camera, flash and most of all: my 3 V6 II units. Is there anybody out there who can tell me how to configure all components so that I can make an off-camera shot?

My Fuji X-t2 is on Manual settings, with ss 250, which is currently my maximum option. I know there are High Speed options as well, but let's first get my normal setup going.

I have, on the hot shoe, a V6 II unit as Receiver (RX). Relay is ON.
This unit is connected to the camera using the 2.5 plug into the side of the camera.
The second V6 II unit is underneath the Flash unit and it is on Transceiver (TX). relay is OFF.
Both are set to chanel 1 and group A.

When I press the unit underneath the flash, the flash responds.
When I press the unit on the hot shoe, nothing happens.
When I use my plug/mini USB cable that I just bought, pressing the hot shoe unit will operate the shutter, but the flash still does not respond. My V6 II firmware has been updated to 1.005 end of last year and I seem to remember that it all worked fine at the time.

So.... here are the preferred scenarios that I need guidance with:

1. Single Off camera flash, camera operated by hand, by pressing down the shutter.
I can walk around and operate both camera and flash.

2. Off camera flash with 2 flash units. One Canon, one generic from China (Yunguo), camera operated by hand, by pressing down the shutter.
I can walk around and operate the camera and the 2 flash units

3. Off-camera flash with 1 flash unit, camera operated remotely
Using the third V6 II unit, I want to operate the shutter remotely. I have the new USB cable that will allow me to do that so now all I need is for the flash to participate.

My goal is to make a cheat sheet with the settings. I just don't do this enough to have it commited to my physical memory...

Any help is much appreciated!

Nicky

Comments

• Hi Nicky,

The remote flash on the V6 II should be in RX mode and set to Relay mode also. The only V6 II that should be in TX mode should be the one in your hand as a remote - if you are using Relay Mode.

1. Single off-camera flash: V6 II (TX) on camera hot shoe, V6 II (RX) with flash mounted on top

2. Off-camera flash with 2 flash units: V6 II (TX) on camera hot shoe, both V6 II (RX) with flashes mounted on top.

3. Off-camera flash x 1 + camera operated remotely: V6 II (TX) in your hand, V6 II (RX) on camera hot shoe in Relay mode with shutter cable plugged to camera release port, V6 II (RX) with flash mounted as off-camera flash.

Please also refer to p.63 of the user manual, screen captured below for your easy reference.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi Antonio, I have to set up my RF60X on V6II mounted on camera (XT-2) in order to work in TTL mode.
    I have downloaded all the firmware upgrade, for both. While off camera I can work in TTL mode and it's fine. When I attach the flash on V6II and all the gear on my camera hot shoe, the TTL doesn't work properly. My goal is to use the flash on camera in order to have a fill-in light. 
    Which is the correct set up ? Thanks in advance !
  • Hi @RobMorelli,

RF60X only supports TTL and HSS as an off-camera flash.
    When you are using it on-camera, that means using it's hot shoe as point of contact for flash triggering. 

Now if you look at the hot shoe, it only has a center contact pin - which is an on-off switch, just like all other manual flash. So TTL and HSS will not work. 

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi all,
    It has been awhile since I needed info about the Cactus V6II but I am back... I don't know how to make this a new thread, so I am commenting on the old one hoping somebody can help me with this. Moderators: you can make this a separate new post if you can. I can't find out how to do it...

So, here is what I need to know.
    I have upgraded my X-t1 to the X-t2 by Fuji's X series quite awhile ago. I have not needed to use the Cactus units all that time and now that I want to do that, things go haywire.
    I have the units set to firmware 1.1.005.

First and foremost: how do I get the Cactus units to go off Bulb Mode????
    I tried holding down the Test button but all I get is the message that it is ON. When it is on, it will cause my camera to go to continuos shooting. I do not want that to happen....

Second:
    The cable advertised on your site advertises that it will work for both X-t1 and X-t2, but both cameras have different mini USB connectors so the cable does NOT fit:
    https://store.cactus-image.com/cactus-shutter-cable-sc-fuj-for-fujifilm-x-series/

Third:
    I am utterly confused about what RX, TX and Relay actually do.

I need correct settings for all units and correct cable IDs for the following scenario's:
    1. Single off-camera flash with V6II device, camera with V6II device on hotshoe:
    I want to be able to make a shot by pressing down the camera's shutter button.
    I want also to be able to make a shot by putting a third V6II device hand held, which will then take the place of the camera's shutter button

2. Dual off-camera flashes with their own individual V6II device, third unit on camera, shot to be taken with the normal camera shutter button

3. No flash attached. V6II unit on hot shoe of camera, one other V6II unit hand held acting as a remote shutter release. I am assuming that for this I will need a new cable, with mini usb for X-t2 in camera body and jackplug in V6II unit??

I would appreciate a simple list for the above scenarios, explaining how to set:
    RX
    Relay
    Bulb mode OFF!!!!!

Thank your for your help....
  • edited June 2018

My goal is to use the flash on camera in order to have a fill-in light.

As Antonio wrote, you cannot use an RF60X directly on camera or directly on an on-camera V6II and use TTL at the same time.

However, you could try to insulate the RF60X's centre hot-shoe connector pin against the V6II's hot-shoe and drive the RF60X in slave ("S") mode via radio. Try to use a small piece of paper or tape. As long as the radio communication works over that short distance (ensure to have the "WORK RANGE" set to "SHORT" on the V6II), you should be able to use the RF60X as an "on-camera" TTL flash.

Alternatively, you could employ a flash-bracket, thus decoupling the RF60X from the V6II but still using it as fill light.