TTL with Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II

Hi
I using the EM1 mark ii with two V6ii, and a FL-900R.

The FL-900R sits on V6ii in RX mode, Flash Profile setting are to „Auto Olympus“ as there is no FL-900 Profile.
Flash System tells me Olympus (M43).

Flash settings are to TTL

The second V6ii sit on the em1 mark II
Switched on camera first
Then v6ii to TX Mode
Then press the button 2 sek to switch to TTL...now I see TTL Systems do not match.

Not sure what I did wrong... any idea?

Joe

Comments

• Hi Joe,

Pressing the menu button on V6 II for seconds is for turning on TTL Pass Through for an on-camera flash setup, it is not for off-camera.

If you do not have a flash mounted on the V6 II TX, there's no signals to pass through to because the top hot shoe is empty. 

You can use TTL Pass Through function when you mount your FL-900 on the TX, acting as an on-camera flash.

V6 II with firmware 1.1.012 or earlier are Multi-brand HSS versions, there's no off-camera (wireless) TTL.

If you are looking for off-camera TTL, next month in November we will release X-TTL firmware for Olympus and Panasonic. 

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi, Could you tell me if the Cactus v6ii is compatible with the Olympus omd em1mkii and the Canon Speedlite, 600 ex travel and the 580 ex. I am looking to use the ttl function of the flashes with the Olympus omd em1 mkii off camera? I also have the Canon 5d mkiii and am looking for a attempt to use the canon flashes on the Olympus camera.

Thank you
  • @Pfotobug,

Yes, you can.

Shoot on your Olympus O-MD E-M1 Mark II, with a V6 II mounted on camera hot shoe (set to TX), triggers your Canon flashes, each mounted on a V6 II (set to RX), and you will get automatic TTL, HSS, manual power control, manual zoom control, rear curtain sync, etc. 

Install the Olympus X-TTL firmware, version OLY.A.001, on all three (3) V6 II units.

At the moment we have not released the Canon X-TTL firmware, so if you need to shoot on your Canon 5D Mark II camera, you have to install the Multi-brand HSS firmware, version 1.1.013, on all three (3) V6 II units before use. 

In the future, after we have released Canon X-TTL, you would still need to change between firmware versions if you need automatic TTL.

I hope the above helps. Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi Antonio,

I just very excited to receive my 3 Cactus v6 ii today. However, I was very disappointed that I require a cable that was not included with the triggers in order to update the firmware on them. Had I known I would have looked into ordering a cable when I ordered them. As I live in Canada, any suggestions on where I can order a suitable cable in Canada. The triggers were ordered from the United States and I don’t want to pay duty and international shipping for one cable.
  • The V6 series use an older style mini-USB plug which used to be very common. You might have some lying around your house, and that's why we did not include one. 

In case you don't:

Or you can try amazon.ca or similar platforms.

Thanks!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• I've Olympus and the unit functions only as a wireless trigger with the Olympus flash. The controls on the transmitter have no relation to outcome. You cannot over or under expose. The FP does NOT work. The only way you can use these is to put the flash and camera on manual and test to get the right exposure. This product does very little that it claims. I have bought it twice presuming the first was defective. I've spent long periods on the phone with the manufacturer in HK. This item needs to stop being promoted as having compatibility with Olympus cameras and flashes. It does not at the current time. I will keep it as an off camera wireless synch. But that's all.
  • I've Olympus and the unit functions only as a wireless trigger with the Olympus flash. The controls on the transmitter have no relation to outcome. You cannot over or under expose. The FP does NOT work. The only way you can use these is to put the flash and camera on manual and test to get the right exposure. This product does very little that it claims. I have bought it twice presuming the first was defective. I've spent long periods on the phone with the manufacturer in HK. This item needs to stop being promoted as having compatibility with Olympus cameras and flashes. It does not at the current time. I will keep it as an off camera wireless synch. But that's all.

Hi Mark,

I am very sorry and also surprised to hear about this. My colleague @raychan was in conversation with you earlier this month. He recorded a video and post it on YouTube where he demonstrated how to setup the V6 II on an Olympus E-M5 and a FL-600R. Was that helpful?

Looking through older email conversations, you first contacted us back in January this year, where you inquired about your Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II. We don't have this Olympus camera model so we went out and borrow one from Olympus. Ray and our engineer both tested it to work. Flash synchronizes and HSS also worked. After a couple days without hearing further from you we returned the E-M5 Mark II.

Perhaps it's a camera setting issue that prevents you from using the V6 II?

Too bad Ray is not in today so I cannot check what you told him over the phone on May 2, a little over three weeks ago. If you don't mind, could you please post information of your setup?

In meantime, please reply to the questions below.
    1. Have you removed the metal spring plate from your camera hot shoe? - - FYI this is required on some Olympus cameras and it will keep a consistent hot shoe connection (precisely, alignment)
    2. Are you using the Multi-brand HSS firmware (on all the V6 II units), that is: version 1.1.013?
    3. Have you done a Factory Reset? - this will make sure V6 II auto-detect at device start-up, acting as a check-point to see if V6 II establishes a good hot shoe connection with the camera. It will display a letter "O" in the camera icon if successful.
    4. Is your FL600R operating in TTL mode?
    5. Did you switch on your flash first, set it to TTL mode and then the V6 II to RX mode? You shall see a letter "O" in the flash icon and LCD shows "AUTO" as the flash profile.
    6. Have you tried swapping the V6 II transceivers in case one of them has a bad footing (any hardware issues) so it's not making good connection with the camera, or with the flash?
    7. What camera firmware are you running on your E-M5 Mark II?
    FYI, we have tested various Olympus camera models, including the latest E-M1 Mark II, and they all work without a problem.

Again we apologize for the experience you have had. I am certain what you came across is not how the V6 II is suppose to be. It may well be a bad unit fell on your hand? Please try and answer the questions above, especially the last one, and we will try our best to assist you further.

In the meantime I will also respond to an email you previously sent us, in case you prefer email.

Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• To reply to your questions first:

1) Yes.
    2)No. As I was instructed I am using Oly.A.001.
    3) Yes, but the flash shows the letter "O" before it touches the camera.
    4 Flash, when turned on but not attached, does not offer TTL mode. It only offers M, RC, SL A, SL M,A, M modes.
    5) After switching on and confirming the flash system to "Olympus (M43) the flash offers FP TTL A, FP M, TTL A, A, M.There is no TTL mode so I'll leave it at TTL A.
    6) Ues, this is my second set of transceivers
    7. Camera firmware is 3.0, Lens 1.1, Flash 1.0.

BTW, it should be noted that these specific instructions were not noted in your written instructions. These should be rewritten by a native English speaker as it is clear they were not.

It should also be noted that I am trying to shoot with a two stop ambient under exposure with a correct exposure for the flashed subjects. I have tried doing this by underexposing via shutter and overexposing by the flash by 2 stops which is only controllable on the flash, NOT THE CACTUS. on A and receive a gross over exposure with the flash set on A and camera on P, A, S and M. However, when I switch the flash to M with a GN 1.8, I get the effect I want.

I have also tested the unit to get a normal exposure on TTL. In that instance I get a grossly overexposed image. Subsequently, I put the camera directly to the camera and get a variety of good results (ie; TTL, FP, etc...)

In summation, your unit does not perform in any kind of consistent way. It also has a myriad of settings that go unexplained. This is particularly true when operating the flash unit itself where you fail to instruct what mode the flash should be in to work with your unit. Moreover, I find that the unit cannot control the output of the flash, whether I ask for normal exposure or 2 stop overexposure. As mentioned before, I can only get the results I want in manual with your unit and varying the power via a GN adjustment. Hence, as I've said before, your unit is only of value as a manual flash trigger. And a very expensive one at that.
  • To reply to your questions first:
    1) Yes.

Good to know.

2)No. As I was instructed I am using Oly.A.001.

No problem, this firmware version will also work with your gear. Ray recommended to you because you are using all Olympus gear anyway and it offers TTL for Olympus, in case you need it.

3) Yes, but the flash shows the letter "O" before it touches the camera.

This is the case because the firmware is Olympus-specific.So you can no longer use the auto-detect at device start up to check the if the V6 II establish a connection with the camera.

Instead, you use the screen to do that.

Are you able to see the numbers change as you make changes to lens zoom, ISO, aperture and shutter speed?

4 Flash, when turned on but not attached, does not offer TTL mode. It only offers M, RC, SL A, SL M,A, M modes.
    5) After switching on and confirming the flash system to "Olympus (M43) the flash offers FP TTL A, FP M, TTL A, A, M.There is no TTL mode so I'll leave it at TTL A.

Yes, this seems to be the case with Oylmpus flashes. It does not allow you to switch to other modes until it detects a proper connection with the camera, and in this case the Cactus V6 II feeds the flash with the same kind of information and it automatically switches to FP TTL A.

This is what I see on our setup:

And I do recommend using the AUTO flash profile. If you previously manually selected a particular Olympus flash profile, run a factory reset, then power on from top down: FL600R then the V6 II to RX mode, and the proper AUTO Olympus flash profile will be applied.

6) Ues, this is my second set of transceivers

I asked Ray and he said while he troubleshoot with you over the phone, your Olympus setup worked well with the Cactus V6 II, at least for some period of time. Is that so? If it is, when did it start not working properly? Were there any new firmware versions introduced? Or possibly any setup procedure changed?

7. Camera firmware is 3.0, Lens 1.1, Flash 1.0.

Thanks for the information. Very useful when we get one to cross-check with.

BTW, it should be noted that these specific instructions were not noted in your written instructions. These should be rewritten by a native English speaker as it is clear they were not.

Are you referring to the printed user manual? Quick Start Guides? Please identify so we can understand and improve our communication materials.

It should also be noted that I am trying to shoot with a two stop ambient under exposure with a correct exposure for the flashed subjects. I have tried doing this by underexposing via shutter and overexposing by the flash by 2 stops which is only controllable on the flash, NOT THE CACTUS. on A and receive a gross over exposure with the flash set on A and camera on P, A, S and M. However, when I switch the flash to M with a GN 1.8, I get the effect I want.

Were you using TTL or M on your V6 II? i.e. what do you see on the display of the V6 II for the flash group?
    If you had the group set to TTL, and you dialed down two stops, then the display should show; "TTL -2.0"?
    If possible please send us the two images, one with V6 II with TTL -EV adjustment and the other where you manually adjusted the flash output.

I have also tested the unit to get a normal exposure on TTL. In that instance I get a grossly overexposed image. Subsequently, I put the camera directly to the camera and get a variety of good results (ie; TTL, FP, etc...)

This usually happens when the V6 II TX unit is not getting the correct flash exposure information from the camera. The above mentioned screen will identify the possible linkage problem.

In summation, your unit does not perform in any kind of consistent way. It also has a myriad of settings that go unexplained. This is particularly true when operating the flash unit itself where you fail to instruct what mode the flash should be in to work with your unit.

If you use X-TTL firmware, such as OLY.A.001, it actually automatically switches the operating mode of the flash.

It's only if you are using the Multi-brand HSS firmware, e.g. 1.1.013, where you have to manually set the operating mode to TTL.

And we did clearly state this in the Quick Start Guide.

To download the Multi-brand HSS Quick Start Guide, click here.

And here's the Quick Start Guide for Olympus (M43) X-TTL.

Moreover, I find that the unit cannot control the output of the flash, whether I ask for normal exposure or 2 stop overexposure. As mentioned before, I can only get the results I want in manual with your unit and varying the power via a GN adjustment. Hence, as I've said before, your unit is only of value as a manual flash trigger. And a very expensive one at that.

Have you tried setting each of the group to "M" (manual power control) instead of TTL to test? You will be able to adjust flash power from 1/128 to full power.

And when you are testing in TTL mode (flash group settings on V6 II TX), you should experience the same kind of control with +/- EV adjustments. However, do make sure the subject is not overly bright nor dark so the TTL 0.0 flash exposure is not too low nor too high, so the flash exposure level will be able to show you + and - levels. You may try setting aperture to around F8 and ISO 200.

I can assure you that the V6 II is a TTL and HSS flash trigger that works with Olympus camera and flashes. If you continue to have problem with your setup, please try and record a video showing how you setup your camera and flash with the V6 II, as well as how flash works (or not work).

Thank you for your precious time and understanding over this period of time. I want to let you know we very much want to assist you in getting your V6 II to function properly as it was designed and tested.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Quick update!

I just heard back from our friend over at Olympus Hong Kong who quickly tested an Olympus O-MD E-M5 Mark II with a FL600R for us.

He tested TTL to work as expected. He also tried TTL -3.3 EV and it produces a much lower flash exposure on the subject.

One difference to your setup is his camera is running on firmware version 4.0. Though I don't think that would make a big difference.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hello,

I was preparing to do a video, but here is what I've found during preparing to do the video.. For all the following I was using the Olympus FL-600. Recently serviced. Basically the unit is only usable with the Olympus O-MD E-M1 Mark II in the M mode (and NOT using auto ISO) on the camera. I found trying to use it on P, A or S produced results that were very erratic. To get the effect I desire (foreground correctly exposed, background underexposed), I need to meter the overall scene and dial in underexposure via the shutter speed control dial. One would think, that would require a 2 stop over exposure by the flash, but that was usually not so. BUT, one must do test exposures to get the proper effect. BTW, I also own and tried the OM1 Mk2 and got similar results. Both cameras had similar results.Both cameras were recently serviced and brought up to spec.

The trouble begins with trying to get ordinary fill in flash results. Again, this is not achievable in P mode as it should be. One must again choose M. This seems wrong. I understand needing M mode to get the special effect I desire above. But, to get regular fill-in flash should be very easy. Again TTL is not working. Flash exposure will vary based on distance which means TTL is not functioning.

As far as your user guides, both are problematic from a native English speaker's perspective. Even the short section you pasted above is very confusing. It is pretty well understood that manuals that come with photo equipment are poorly written. Thus, there has been a market for books that are sold privately by good writers. Darrel Young did a great job explaining my Olympus so that I could use it effectively. He separates whats important from that which is not. You can find info on him here: https://www.amazon.com/Darrell-Young/e/B001JOXXSW/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1.

I think you need to focus on getting your unit to work with the Olympus in P,A and S modes. When one slaps your transceiver on the camera and flash, it ought to be taking over the control of the camera. But, based on the erratic results I got, they do not. Again, the units are only consistent in M mode. This shouldn't be. I look forward to when you issue updates that work properly with Olympus cameras and allow for full functionality. I recognize that the Olympus are complex cameras. But, if you're to claim compatibility you'll need to fix the current units.

Yours truly,
    Mark Zilberman
  • @Mark_Zilberman

Have you confirmed that it is the V6II that introduces the inconsistencies you observed?
    In other words, does the FL-600 produce the results you are expecting when directly mounted to the camera (in modes other than "M")?

I'm asking because your expectation of the trigger needing to take over the control of the camera is incorrect. As far as standard exposure control is concerned, all radio triggers are just replacing a TTL-cable by a radio-TTL connection; there is no notion of trying to improve on idiosyncrasies of the original TTL implementation. I'm not saying that one can exclude the possibility that the V6II fails to perfectly replace a cable for camera modes other than "M", I'm just pointing out that one shouldn't expect behaviour that is better than what the camera/flash combination delivers natively.

Regarding the manuals, I agree that there are many examples of poorly written manuals. I disagree, though, that Cactus' manuals fall into that category. They are for sure not full-blown user guides by any stretch of the imagination, but it is debatable whether they should be. As a technical reference, the manuals do the job very well in my view.

I agree that the quick start guide is too terse to do justice to the X-TTL features and ideally an X-TTL variant of the full manual should exist that elaborates on the X-TTL features.

• Hope this helps.

... To get the effect I desire (foreground correctly exposed, background underexposed), I need to meter the overall scene and dial in underexposure via the shutter speed control dial.

There are two ways:

1) S mode: shorter shutter speed, as the SS control the background (ambient) light Obviously you can also do this in M mode.

2) P mode, adjust camera EV compensation, e.g. -3.0.

We did the above two tests just now, shot in the office, and shutter speed was 1/500s. In both shots the main subject was well exposed, and the background was dimmed out. No problem.

While we were at it we also tried shooting P, A, S and M and in all 4 shots the flash exposure was good. No over nor under exposure. All is working.

Yes, for the Quick Start Guide, we may revamp it a little so it's more of a step by step setup instead of listing the various functions. Thank you for your comments.

Out of curiosity why did your Olympus cameras went in for service? It's usually the FL600R that becomes buggy before the camera?

Thank you and I look forward to your video.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager