Unable to remotely trigger RF60X in Relay Mode

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with remotely triggering several RF60X with one V6 II handheld and another V6 II on the hot shoe of my camera. I'm trying to use the Relay Mode of the units to remotely fire the RF60X plus remote shutter release of the camera 

Here is my configuration:
- Two V6 II units, both on Firmware 1.1.013
- Two RF60X units, both on Firmware 103
- Camera is Nikon D750
- One of the V6 II is placed on the hot shoe of my D750 and connected with the shutter release cable. It is set to RX mode and Relay Mode
- The other V6 II is being handheld and set to TX and Relay Mode
- The two RF60X units are set to Slave Mode

Observations:
- When I half press the shutter release button on the handheld V6 II unit: The LED indicator of the V6 II on the camera turns orange
- Then when I full press the shutter release button on the handheld V6 II unit: The camera captures the image and LED indicator of the V6 II on the camera turns green. But the RF60X units do NOT fire
- On the handheld V6 II: If I hold the group button (eg "B" which is the same group that my RF60X is configured to) and press the shutter release button on the handheld V6 II: The RF60X will test fire. This proves that my handheld V6 II does communicate successfully with the RF60X

I have no issues with these units in normal mode. Only experiencing the above issue in Relay Mode. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Luke

Comments

• Here is an image of the handheld V6 II. It doesn't seem to indicate that it has recognised my camera as being a Nikon. Not sure if that is the problem
  • Yeah, it could be a hot shoe connection on your D750 and the V6 II on top.  Check the link in my signature for ways to fix this.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi Antonio,

Yes, the advice on this forum helped me few months ago with the Nikon D750 hot shoe issue. But on this instance, I believe that is not what is causing the Relay Mode issue. I say this because when the V6 II (which is on the D750 hot shoe) is in TX mode, it correctly recognises the Nikon camera. I have confirmed the V6 II works as expected on TX mode. Then when I switch it to RX mode, you see the panel in the same way as on the image I previously posted. That is, there is no longer an "N" symbol in the camera icon - which suggests that the V6 II might not be recognising the Nikon camera while in RX mode.

Can you confirm that there should be an "N" within the camera icon when the V6 II is in RX mode for the Relay to work?

Thanks
    Luke
  • Hi Luke,

Thanks for the clarifications.  Let me check with R&D and get back to you.

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks Antonio. Any luck with reproducing the problem?
  • Thanks Antonio. Any luck with reproducing the problem?
    Let me chase up with them.

Thank you!!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• I've been checking this thread everyday hoping we have a solution for this issue. But still no response or acknowledgement of the issue?
  • I've been checking this thread everyday hoping we have a solution for this issue. But still no response or acknowledgement of the issue?
    Apologies!!  We are on it.  R&D missed my message but now they have go it and they are going to try this today so I will be able to give you a reply today / tomorrow. 

Thank you again for your understanding during this time.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Got it...the problem is caused by setup error.

What you need to do is manually setting the camera system first in TX mode before switching it to RX mode.

See below screen shots from the user manual, specifically the highlighted section.

Thanks!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio,

I have already tried setting it correctly in TX mode. In my 3rd posting (above), I've mentioned that the V6 II has no issue in recognising the Nikon camera in TX mode. Then when I immediately switch the V6 II to RX mode, I'm no longer seeing the "N" symbol (see the image that I attached in my 2nd posting above)

Luke
  • Hi Luke,

What I tried getting across is that you have to manually set the camera system to Nikon. :)

Auto-detect in TX mode is not an issue, as you stated, which is good, but when you set the V6 II to RX mode, it does NOT auto-detect the camera system.

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Yes, when I set the V6 II to RX mode, it does NOT auto-detect the camera system. And one of the first things that I tried was to manually set the V6 II (on the hotshoe of my D750) to "Nikon". However, the menu only has these options: "Functions", "Flash Setup", "Radio Setup" and "Preferences". That is, the option for "Camera Setup" is missing. Its almost as if the V6 II doesn't believe it is connected to a hot shoe when it is in RX mode.

When the V6 II is in TX mode, I do see the "Camera and Flash Setup" option. When I click on OK, I get the "Camera System" menu in which I can manually assign the camera. Of course I don't need to manually set it as the V6 II is good at auto detecting my Nikon in TX mode.

In RX mode, the V6 II not only fails to autodetect my Nikon D750, but also doesn't allow me to manually set it to Nikon.
  • edited January 2018
    Yes, when I set the V6 II to RX mode, it does NOT auto-detect the camera system. And one of the first things that I tried was to manually set the V6 II (on the hotshoe of my D750) to "Nikon". However, the menu only has these options: "Functions", "Flash Setup", "Radio Setup" and "Preferences". That is, the option for "Camera Setup" is missing. Its almost as if the V6 II doesn't believe it is connected to a hot shoe when it is in RX mode.

When the V6 II is in TX mode, I do see the "Camera and Flash Setup" option. When I click on OK, I get the "Camera System" menu in which I can manually assign the camera. Of course I don't need to manually set it as the V6 II is good at auto detecting my Nikon in TX mode.

In RX mode, the V6 II not only fails to autodetect my Nikon D750, but also doesn't allow me to manually set it to Nikon.
    Yes, we know all of what you described.

That is why in the user manual it indicated that you to manually select NIKON as the camera system - which has to be done in TX mode, and this was the part that wasn't very clear.  We will consider adding a note on future edition of the user manual. 

FYI Right now it says "last recorded" camera system in TX mode - but when you only use auto-detect, the "last recorded" is indeed NIKON. But this was assigned from auto-detection, so it means that when switching the V6 II off and on again (aka the next power cycle), it will auto-detect again where the "last recorded" camera system becomes "(OTHERS)". 

So what you need to do is to manually select the camera system. And in your case, "Nikon". 

Hope this clears any confusion....

Thank you!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio,

I'm happy to report back that your advice worked! I explicitly set the V6II on the hotshoe to Nikon while in TX mode (even though it automatically detected it as Nikon). Then Relay mode worked perfectly while in RX mode.

Thanks heaps for taking time to resolve my issue. The remote triggering now works really well - very happy with my V6 II units :)

Cheers
    Luke
  • Hi Luke,

Fantastic news! Thanks for the update. If you need anything else please let us know.

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Antonio's response on Jan 4th was super useful. Good to know that the RF60x doesn't need any fancy setup and that the Relay option has to be on both V6's only (once of course the camera system is manually entered into the units' memories).
    Good stuff. I learned something today :)
    Cheers!