Pentax

Can you add to the Pentax X-TTL firmware a support of Pentax Wireless P-TTL mode? This mode can be found in Pentax 540FGZ, 540FGZ II, 350FGZ, Metz 58 AF-2 and some other flashes.

Comments

• Are you experiencing any problems using AUTO Pentax flash profiles?

For Metz, you will need to manually select a flash profile,but for Pentax OEM flashes AUTO profile works just fine.

Thanks!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited December 2017
    Stuart, it may not be exactly clear what you are asking for .....

I'm suspecting that you are referring to the Pentax "Wireless Lighting Ratios" ?. Sorry if I'm wrong, There is a mode within the X-TTL firmware for "Ratios", and I believe this may be relevant to camera systems where the Ratios are integrated within the flash protocol of the dedicated system concerned, and set on the camera itself or on a "commander" unit.

The Pentax "Wireless Lighting Ratios" (its my own term created for the 'Pentax Flash Guide' in the absense of anything provided by Pentax) are a manually engaged power offset, set directly on the flashes themselves. So there is no communication of these settings within the Pentax wireless protocol. As such it seems highly unlikely that a V6II could ever send a controlling signal to the flashes that could engage the ratios.

What seems potentially more likely is that for Pentax the Ratio mode becomes a different way to express a fixed offset (1/3 - 2/3 etc) and that it simply uses the flash compensation feature to create such an offset.At present the mode appears to be not implemented for Pentax. But it may need some time and development to take advantage of it in a practical manner.
  • TTL RATIO (i.e. Group A:B:C) is not supported on Pentax camera systems, unfortunately. 

AFAIK only Fujifilm and Canon supports this function. 

As you may have guessed, this function is system-dependent. If the camera / flash system does not have this function, the V6 II can't make magic happen - at least not in this regard.

Thanks!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • FWIW, I don't understand what the point of a ratio-based system is when you have individual control over groups as with the Cactus V6II.

For instance, running group B with one stop higher than group A, means that the two groups are run in a 1 : 2 ratio. This ratio will not change even if you adjust both groups by the same amount, say add one stop to each group through a global adjustment. After such an adjustment, group B will still be twice as bright as group A. That's the beauty of a stop-based adjustment scheme. 
  • Practically I think that's right ClassA. It's possible to achieve the same results intuitively using either settings standard, so long as the user is familiar and experienced using each particular approach.

The point is that ratios are an alternative unit and standard for describing things. ....I can think of an aviation equivalent : Altitude (distance above sea level) and Height (distance above the ground). Both terms would describe the exact same position in the sky, but with different figures, and each term is used depending on the context (eg what stage of a flight the aircraft is at, who the information is being communicated to).

• edited January 2018
    @McGregNi

I can relate to your view, I just wanted to point out that there isn't any "loss" implied by ratios not being explicitly supported. As you say, both systems are almost equivalent ways of expressing the same facts.

The advantage of the stop-based system of the V6(II) is that each figure not only provides the ratio to others but also an absolute level value, i.e., it is easy to see when one of the lights has reached maximum (or minimum) output power. That's on top of being able to use the same approach (stop-based units) for both individual control and ratio-based work.

The advantage of ratios is that one can see the scaling immediately, i.e., no "arithmetic" is necessary to see that one light is set twice as bright as another.

AFAIC, the best of both worlds would be to have stop-based control with an auxiliary (or alternative) display showing purely the ratios. Given that it is rather straightforward to see the ratios in the stop-based levels, I don't think that not having such an auxiliary/alternative display is an issue.