X100F issue with fill-in flash at higher speeds

Hello,

I have purchased 2 Cactus V6 II transmitters, both updated to
FUJ.1.002 firmware.  One unit is attached
to the hot shoe of a Fuji X100F (leaf shutter) running firmware v 2.00 (most recent), in TX
mode; the second unit in RX mode is controlling an off-camera Nikon SB-800
flash (HSS compatible).

While the Fuji X100F doesn’t have a dedicated HSS sync mode,
thanks to its leaf shutter it is capable of syncing its built-in flash at
speeds up to 1/1000 sec (in TTL mode).  This
makes it a perfect solution for fill-in flash during outdoor photography even
shooting wide open.

With the attached Cactus V6 II transmitter however only sync
speeds of 1/30 and 1/60 sec can be achieved. 
For all other speeds the off-camera flash is not triggered adequately.  On the V6 II the normal HSS mode cannot be changed
(always off) and there is no <Learn HSS> option available anymore on the
menu once the transmitter is connected to the hot shoe of the X100F (see https://www.cactus-image.com/community/discussion/comment/6555/#Comment_6555)

Any idea how to sync the off-camera flash at higher speeds
to achieve fill-ins for outdoor shooting?

Comments

• Hello @claudebou,

If you do not see <LEARN HSS> that means the V6 II has detected your Fujifilm camera with new(er) camera firmware to support the Fujifilm EF-X500 (for HSS) - at least this is the case for X-T1 or similar cameras. 

1/30s and 1/60s are a bit extreme. We have never encountered any sync issues at such speeds. But then we do not have an X100F. Is camera firmware version 2.00 very recent? 

One thing to check whether the V6 II truly communicating with the camera, adjust one of below, or all of them:

1. ISO
    2. Shutter speed
    3. Aperture
    4. Lens zoom (where applicable)
    As you adjust, the newly adjusted value will change on-screen, activating the Status Screen page on the V6 II. 

Please check and let us know.

Thank you!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks for the quick response.

Fuji X100F firmware version 2.00 was released on Dec 21st 2017 (very recent).  Among improvements the release notes state:
    • Improve radio flash controller usability
      The upgrade allows users to shoot with compatible third party studio flash in high speed sync. or TTL mode via their radio controllers.
    No list of 'compatible 3rd party studio flash'  is however  provided

>>> V6 II truly communicating with the camera

definitely -  each modification of ISO, speed and aperture is immediately reflected in the V6 II display

>>> 1/30s and 1/60s are a bit extreme. We have never encountered any sync issues at such speeds.

1/30s and 1/60s  in manual mode works fine (TTL).  In Aperture priority mode the sync speed is 1/34sec. Quite low but this is the same with the built-in flash.  Other Fuji X100F users have reported the same values.  But given the leaf shutter allows to sync the built-in flash in manual mode at speeds up to 1/1000 sec this is usually not an issue. 

>>> camera firmware to support the Fujifilm EF-X500 (for HSS)

The X100F is indeed reported has being fully compatible with the EF-X500: 

Would help to test with the Multi-Brand HSS firmware or with an older Fuji firmware?

• I did additional tests today.

With the multi-brand firmware version 1.1.013 (on both TX
    and RX devices) I can trigger the off-camera flash at speeds up to 1/1000s in
    manual mode (on the V6 II).   While the “Learn
    HSS” records the timing, it does not fire the flash when switching the HSS on
    (pressing the dial button).

Using firmware FUJ.1.002  does work for higher shutter speeds when selecting M (manual) on the V6 II  .  An attempt  with FUJ.1.001 was not better.

I did also a test using my Fuji X20 which also features a
    leaf shutter but without any success.

So far I am still stuck – either using the Fuji specific
    firmware with the combination TTL on the V6 II and  aperture priority mode on the camera  or reloading the multi-brand firmware to
    trigger the flash in manual mode in order to achieve fill-in at higher speeds. 

• Thanks @claudebou for your further testing your setup.

We do not have the X100F and it appears that the recent camera firmware versions are having some problem with HSS. Similar problems have been reported on the X-T2. 

We only have the X100 and will try to replicate the issues you reported.

Your understanding during this time is very much appreciated. 

Thank you. 
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thank you.  

X-T2 has a focal plane shutter (and HSS capable from its flash menu) while all the X100 family of cameras have a fixed lens with a leaf shutter. Aside firmware specific defects the X100 and X100F should behave similarly when shooting at higher shutter speeds.

>>> Your understanding during this time is very much appreciated. 

I understand the investigation can take some time. Meanwhile I have the multi-brand firmware as workaround for fill-in at higher shutter speeds.
  • Hi @claudebou,

I have bad news to share with you (and other X100 series users).

Based on our investigation, the original X100 do not support cross-brand TTL.  This will likely apply to the entire series of X100, as you experienced on your X100F.

The reason is because X100 uses a different set of timing from other recent Fujifilm cameras (e.g. X-T2) where there is too little time for Cactus V6 II to process cross-brand information.  

That said, I will try and contact Fujifilm HQ in Japan and inquire if it is possible for them to alter the timing settings on the X100 series cameras.  If it is and that they are willing to run this change in future camera firmware versions, then it'll be a happy day for everyone.  If not, then we are out of luck.

In the meantime we have added a note under V6 II's compatibility. 

X100 series cameras will only support wireless cross-brand TTL with the Cactus RF60 / RF60X.

On-camera and off-camera (wireless) TTL also works with the Fujifilm EF-X500.

So if you need to shoot HSS in a cross-brand environment, install the Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. v. 1.1.013) on the V6 II.

Thank you for sticking by and I hope we will hear good news from Fujifilm soon.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi @claudebou, I spoke with reps from Fujifilm Japan and we might have good news. Some testings need to be done... fingers crossed! 

Will keep you all posted.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thank you Antonio .