Remote shutter release

I have a Canon 6D and a Canon 430EXIII. I understand I need two triggers, and to remotely fire the shutter I need the accessory cable. But can you confirm that I can remotely fire the shutter from the trigger with the flash on? ie I don't need a third trigger to act as the remote shutter release?
-- 
John

Comments

• Hi John,

In a standard setup you would need four (4) transceiver units:

1. TX (1 of 2) in your hand as a remote
    2. RX (1 of 2) connected to camera shutter remote port
    3. TX (2 of 2) mounted on camera hot shoe
    4. RX (2 of 2) with flash mounted as off-camera
    Obviously, either set run on different channels. 

But when turning Relay Mode on TX and RX mounted on camera, you use one (1) transceiver less in the setup. 
    1. TX (1 of 1) in your hand as a remote (Relay on)
    2. RX (1 of 2) mounted on camera hot shoe and connected to camera shutter remote port (Relay on)
    3. RX (2 of 2) with flash mounted as off-camera
    For more information, please refer to the user manual and Quick Start Guide.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks for the help but .... Whaaat?! 4 devices to do something so simple? I'm afraid I think I'll have to look for a better solution.
    --

• Three devices actually.  And how are you think there's going to be a better solution?  You need a radio device to sit on the camera to talk to the flash, a radio device to sit on the flash.  And if you want to remotely trigger the camera and flash you need a radio device for this to have in your hand.  So that makes three devices.  Unless you want to run a cable release to the camera, but that's not really what you'd call a remote release.
  • Hi Paulster. What I want it to handhold the flashgun/cactus and fire the shutter from there. If that's not possible with two Cactus's (buying more than that wouldn't be cost effective) then I could put the flash on a stand and fire the camera at the camera. Or I could fire the shutter from my mobile phone. Both of those solutions would be better than buying more Cactus's (for me anyway).
    I'm not having a go but in my naivety I'm surprised this isn't possible.
    --
    John
  • Hi John,

Yes, it is 3.  
    4 was the norm, but with the Relay mode, it's 3.

What is the setup you are hoping to achieve?

Are you wanting to have the camera mounted on a tripod, with you moving around freely and your 430EXIII mounted as an off-camera flash - and you want to trigger the camera remotely and at the same time firing the off-camera flash?

If that's what you want, then it is indeed 3 units of V6 II if you want to use Cactus triggers. 

If you are able to release the camera shutter from a smartphone App, which is usually via WiFi, then it should work as well.  

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi Antonia 

Yes - you describe just what I'm trying to do and probably 2 cactus's and using something else as a shutter release is the way I'll go. 
    --
  • Alright, so we are on the same page. :) 

If you will ever only need one (1) off-camera flash, then getting an additional V6 II just for the purpose for remote shutter release may not be the most cost effective way forward.  

But if you would at other times add another speedlight then you would have one extra V6 II to spare for remote shutter release.

If most of the time your camera is remote then getting a dedicated remote shutter release is not a bad idea. 

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager