High speed sync at 1/1000 s. Does anyone dealed with this issue?(Nikon D7000 with SB-910 and cactus)

edited September 2014 in V6 Questions
Dear Cactus community,

I have a set of cactus V6 for use with Nikon Brand (D7000 camera and SB-910). In the user manual, is said that can support sync speed up to 1/1000 second (subject to camera´s sync speed limitations, page 8 from the manual).

Unfortunately, I couldn´t find futher information about it in the user manual and here in the forum. I tried configure the D7000, in its menu, to FP 320, to accommodate HSS. But I had obtained the traditional black curtain, in the images, when I started to use 1/250 second and above. Does anyone knows how to deal with this issue? Any suggestion or procedure? The product is great. I´m trying just use a higher shutter speed as the product offers this possibility.

Thank you a lot guys!! Waiting reply!

Comments

• edited September 2014 PM
    The V6 supports sync speeds up to 1/1000, but the sync speed of your D7000 is just 1/250s. Ideally, you shouldn't be seeing black bars at 1/250s yet; if you do, I'm not sure what is causing this.

In any event, higher shutter speeds require a pre-sync signal. You can obtain the latter in one of two ways:
    1. Optically: Use an HSS-capable flash on your D7000 and optically trigger on the pre-flash. You then need to set a delay time on the V6 to make sure it fires in sync with the main flash (and not straight away, together with the pre-flash).
      I don't know if the on-board flash of the D7000 is able to "wirelessly" control HSS flashes at shutter speeds higher than the sync speed. If so, you don't even need an additional flash.
    2. With an additional HSS-trigger: Obtain an HSS-capable radio trigger for your D7000 and connect it to the V6 so that it fires the latter. The HSS-capable trigger will receive a pre-sync signal from the camera and will adjust the timing of the main flash triggering so that black bars are avoided.

Have a look at this "How to: Cactus RF60 Radio HSS" article by Brian Hursey. He writes about Canon, but the same principles should apply to Nikon.

I hope this helps.