How to suppress TTL pre flash in M mode on Metz 58 Pentax

I use some cheap slave flash with light sensor triggers which can't be used if I pair them with my metz 58 and the cactus. IT always triggers a preflash also in M mode. Please tell me something can be done.

Comments

• edited April 2018
    Am I right in assuming that you have
    • the Metz on a Cactus V6II receiver
    • another Cactus V6II on the camera
    • a further cheap slave flash that you want to work as a second off-camera light?

Does the cheap slave flash (which model is it?) support configuring the optical slave to ignore pre-flashes? I'm assuming it doesn't so the next option would be to disable the optical slave. If it cannot be done via the flash configuration, you can try to block the optical slave on the cheap flash with tape or similar. Then, obviously, you need an alternative way of triggering the cheap slave flash. Another V6II or V6 should work.

If your question is whether it is possible to suppress the pre-flash from the Metz 58, the answer is unfortunately "no" in general. The only way around a Metz 58 pre-flash is to forgo HSS and remote power control which kind of defeats the point of using a V6II.

• thanks a lot! You got everything right and therefore if I want to control the flash remotely, I will need to ditch the cheap slaves and buy some as cheap but at least with wireless trigger :(

• Haven't seen or tried this before so not sure...

You better check with the manufacturer.

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.