Key Light - Fill Light

I'd like to suggest implementing an option for two TTL flashes producing different output. Main flash = Key Light, Second Flash = Fill Light. This should be done in a way, that the second flsah should NOT try to provide full lighting of the subject. When using more than one flash, it is often the photograpahers wish, that ONE light should be weaker than the other. E.i. 50% or 33% of the power of the Key Light flash. Aa I understand it this is not really possible with the current options, unless a larger flash so to speak will out-power a weaker flash. I have a Elinchrom Quadra outfilt, that does just this: One light at 100% and one at 33%. Very nice :-)
Or - if thisis already possible with V6ii triggers - please tell me how :-)

Comments

• Indeed it is already possible.

But there's a catch.

This feature is system dependent and it is only available on Canon and Fujifilm.

Please understand that the V6 II merely extends this feature from the camera manufacturer. If your camera does not support such a function, then won't be able to use it; in other words the V6 II cannot create this function out of the blue and apply it to a non-supported camera system.

That said, We may consider such a function on future flash trigger models. 

In the meantime, if you are not using Canon or Fujifilm, you can always manually adjust the power level.

Thanks!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited April 2018
    @Antonio,

I'm surprised that you are saying this feature is only available on Canon and Fuji.

This may be true for the exact way of how ratios are specified, but the desired effect can also achieved on other camera systems, including Pentax.

@Planfoto
    If you wish to have the fill light fire at 50% of the level of the key light, simply set a flash exposure compensation of "-1" for the fill light (or "+1" for the key light).

To elaborate: One stop less (-1) means "half as bright" which in turn is the same as "50%".

If you wish the fill light to fire at 33% then simply set a flash exposure compensation of -1.6.

The V6II allows to set exposure compensation settings for each flash remotely, so you can already do what you want. You just have to do it via specifying compensation stops, rather than ratio percentages.

• edited April 2018

I have already responded to an extent to the OP at PentaxForums (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/363279-cactusv6ii-2.html ), but to add to the info already here ....

I think what Antonio is meaning in relation to other camera systems is that they actually use their TTL protocol and communications to send Ratio settings to their slave flashes ..... therefore the V6II can utilise this data and translate it over radio.

In the case of Pentax, the "Wireless Lighting Ratios" are not part of the P-TTL data communicated by the flash system, but are actually locally applied "offsets" set on each flash manually ..... the global flash exposure remains the same but each flash is just set locally to reduce its output accordingly to split the balance of light.

Therefore this cannot be translated into Radio signals to be controlled by the V6II. That's how I understand things to be.

Of course I completely agree that exact "ratios" in lighting balance can be achieved by flash compensation and manual power settings as well. Its really only the mental visualisation aspect that changes.

• edited April 2018
    In the case of Pentax, the "Wireless Lighting Ratios" are not part of the P-TTL data communicated by the flash system, but are actually locally applied "offsets" set on each flash manually ..... the global flash exposure remains the same but each flash is just set locally to reduce its output accordingly to split the balance of light.

Therefore this cannot be translated into Radio signals to be controlled by the V6II. That's how I understand things to be.

I don't understand your thought processes. 

If Cactus felt so inclined, they could implement a "ratio"-based approach even for Pentax. They wouldn't be able to simply defer to a native "ratio"-based scheme, but all that would be required is to translate the user provided ratios into respective individual flash compensations.

I fail to see any problem with that argument.

Anyhow, as you seem to agree the "ratio"-based approach does not really add any functionality. It is just an alternative way to think about multiple light sources firing with different (but precisely defined in relation to each other) power levels.

• My tests w. Cactus V6ii TTL and two flashes are published here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bladt/26579891457/in/dateposted/