P-TTL and fill flash

I have purchased two V6ii units. 
One is going to be used as receiver for my Pentax AF540FGZ. The other as tranceiver on the camera. 
This should be straight forward, provided I can update to the right firmware for Pentax and the flash. 
But then I want to place a FILL FLASH on top of the tranceiver. 
This fill flash don't have to be a TTL flash, but hopefully I can use a flash with an "A-mode", utilizing a built-in sensor - or simply use it in manual mode.(I wish this fill flash to give less power - appr. 1/2 or 1/3 - of the key light flash (AF540FGZ).
My question is: 
Will the Cactus V6ii tranceiver be able to fire the "on top of the tranceiver" fill flash? Or do I need a third Cactus receiver?

Comments

• Yes, any flash with a standard ISO hot shoe, one with a center hot shoe contact pin, will work on the V6 II top hot shoe as an on-camera flash. 

I think older Metz flashes have an A-mode. I have a 58 AF-1 (for Canon) and it has A mode. 

However, a reminder that a portable flash operating in A-mode does NOT support HSS.

For greater flexibility, you better get a TTL flash, just use it manually if you don't need TTL.  Perhaps try finding a used one?

Good luck!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • And since the V6 II works with Canon, Fujifilm, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax and Sigma flashes, it greatly increases your choice of flash models. 

For example, a Canon 580EX, or older 550EX, Metz models, Nikon SB-700, etc.etc.

Have fun shopping!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Yes, any flash with a standard ISO hot shoe, one with a center hot shoe contact pin, will work on the V6 II top hot shoe as an on-camera flash. 

I think older Metz flashes have an A-mode. I have a 58 AF-1 (for Canon) and it has A mode. 

However, a reminder that a portable flash operating in A-mode does NOT support HSS.

For greater flexibility, you better get a TTL flash, just use it manually if you don't need TTL.  Perhaps try finding a used one?

Good luck!

Thank you Antonio.
    The problem is, that not many flashes have both A-mode and P-TTL. Do you know of any Pentax compatible flashes around GN(m) 36 that offer this?
  • Thanks again, Antonio. I may have a look at Metz 58 AF-1 or similar, preferably smaller - like GN(m) 36 :-)
    Regards
    Jens
  • Sorry Antonio -  I was wrong. The Pentax flashes AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ DO have  A-mode, even though no sensor is visible on the out side (the older FTZ models don't have A-mode - and no preflash TTL either). I can't figure out the Metz 48, 50, 58, 64 models, though. Anyway - yopur answer means I can use any Pentax FGZ model for fill light. This is really good news for me :-)  Thanks again Antonio :-)
  • Bear in mind that my recent testing using the V6II,  'X-TTL' PEN.A.01 firmware, Pentax K7 camera, and Pentax AF-540FGZII on top of the V6II (Tx mode) has not been working for TTL Passthrough. TTL Passthrough has always worked for me before with the 'multi-brand' firmware, but it does not now work with the X-TTL version. I am going to report this to Cactus on the appropriate section of this forum. Obviously this may be an isolated problem with my particular combination only.

However, there should be no reason for concern with the multi-brand firmware, assuming you are not looking for Radio TTL, only Manual.

Antonio's response above seems to answer my concerns about the Auto Thyristor mode and TTL Passthrough .... sounds like a correctly working system should send the trigger signal through to a flash working in Auto mode.

• Sorry Antonio -  I was wrong. The Pentax flashes AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ DO have  A-mode, even though no sensor is visible on the out side (the older FTZ models don't have A-mode - and no preflash TTL either). I can't figure out the Metz 48, 50, 58, 64 models, though. Anyway - yopur answer means I can use any Pentax FGZ model for fill light. This is really good news for me :-)  Thanks again Antonio :-)
    I asked R&D and they advised that the mix use of A-mode (on-camera or off for that matter) and X-TTL is not possible.

At least this is not part of original design of the V6 II system.

Out of curiosity, why don't you simply turn on TTL mode for the on-camera flash? Like the Pentax FGZ flash, and you will get an automatic exposure fill-flash.  

Is the A-mode superior over camera body's TTL?

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Bear in mind that my recent testing using the V6II,  'X-TTL' PEN.A.01 firmware, Pentax K7 camera, and Pentax AF-540FGZII on top of the V6II (Tx mode) has not been working for TTL Passthrough. TTL Passthrough has always worked for me before with the 'multi-brand' firmware, but it does not now work with the X-TTL version. ...

Thanks for the information. I have forwarded to R&D for study.

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Can I use multi bran firmware for the tranceiver, ig I wnat to:
    HAve a Pentax AF360FGZ on top of the tranceiver as fill flash - and a AF540FGZ on the receiver?
    Or: Will I need a third V6ii,(no TTL pass through) in order to get both flashes working  in TTL mode
  • The Explanation

You can use <TTL Pass Through> on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013).

Note:  Actually on X-TTL firmware (e.g. PEN.A.001) there's no longer a TTL Pass Through per se, it is more like switching from M (manual control) to TTL mode for the on-camera flash.

In Short...

1. if you need TTL for the off-camera flash unit(s), you will need to install PEN.A.001 on all V6 II units.  
    2. if you only need TTL for the on-camera flash, then using the Multi-brand HSS (1.1.013) is what you need. 

The Answer

Planfoto said:
    ... in order to get both flashes working  in TTL mode
    Both flashes meaning one of the flash will be off-camera, and in that case, you will have to use PEN.A.001 on all V6 II units.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• YES! I cracked the code (about TTL Key light/fill light). It is embarrassing simple. (This reminds me of Lightning McQueen trying to turn on a dirt track): In order to reduce the fill light, turn up the key light! It's that simple! The TTL metering system will see to, that the final exposure is OK/the fill light is reduced correspondingly :-)