HSS

Hello. I haven't tried HSS (Pentax) yet. Must I install the HSS firmware; Multi brand HSS in order to use HSS? Or is HSS included in the already installed firmware (in my case Pentax TTL)? If YES, will the Multi Brand HSS delete the Pentax TTL firmware, or can both firmware both be there, at the same time?

Comments

• HSS is supported by the V6II no matter whether you use the multi-brand firmware variant (e.g. V1.1.013) or the X-TTL firmware variant (PEN.A.001). 

You can only use one firmware variant at a time. Your choice of variant (multi-brand vs X-TTL) must be consistent across all your devices. They are not compatible with each other.

The X-TTL firmware variant goes beyond the multi-brand firmware variant in that it additionally offers automatic determination of flash power levels and rear-curtain sync. One loses the ability to use flashes from other systems like Canon, Nikon, etc., though. 

Some would argue the multi-brand variant gives them more flexibility regarding gear choices, provides everything they need (including HSS), and is easier to use. 

Others would argue that they find support for automatic flash metering invaluable, that they prefer working in terms of relative power compensation instead of absolute power values, and that they find other features of the X-TTL variant very useful. 

It all depends on your needs and preferences, but you'll have to make a choice between the two variants. 
  • Thanks a lot Class A. This means I can use HSS already :-)
    Regards
    Jens
  • I have HSS issues: I can't seem to make exposure correction in HSS mode. Is this how it should be?
  • I tested HSS with both a Pentax and a Metz flash. Works just fine. Flash Exposure Compensation works with HSS too :-)
  • @Planfoto glad to hear it is working now.

Just shout if you need anything else.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Cactus V6ii just doesn't work right with Pentax: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bladt/39778583880/in/dateposted/ Regarsd
    Jens
  • I did tests with only one off camera flash: HSS only works for the flash ON the CAMERA/transmitter. The off camera flash fires - but out of sync - no light to the sensor. P-TTL HSS not working.
  • Class A said:

HSS is supported by the V6II no matter whether you use the multi-brand firmware variant (e.g. V1.1.013) or the X-TTL firmware variant (PEN.A.001). 

You can only use one firmware variant at a time. Your choice of variant (multi-brand vs X-TTL) must be consistent across all your devices. They are not compatible with each other.

The X-TTL firmware variant goes beyond the multi-brand firmware variant in that it additionally offers automatic determination of flash power levels and rear-curtain sync. One loses the ability to use flashes from other systems like Canon, Nikon, etc., though. 

Some would argue the multi-brand variant gives them more flexibility regarding gear choices, provides everything they need (including HSS), and is easier to use. 

Others would argue that they find support for automatic flash metering invaluable, that they prefer working in terms of relative power compensation instead of absolute power values, and that they find other features of the X-TTL variant very useful. 

It all depends on your needs and preferences, but you'll have to make a choice between the two variants. 

For me HSS only works for the flash ON CAMERA/Transmitter. Not for an off camera flash. I have the Pentax dedicated firmware :-(
  • Sorry folks. My mistake. If I remember to turn on the camera, then the trigger, finally the flash - then I get the right options available from the start. As I chose Normal Sync HSS works. Both with one and two flashes - at least at 1/1000s ISO 400, I get acceptable exposure. Power Sync doesn't work, but I guess can do without :-)
  • Well, sometimes HSS works, sometimes not. Is there a trick? Perhaps about in which order to turn the devices on and off?
  • Planfoto said:

Well, sometimes HSS works, sometimes not. Is there a trick? Perhaps about in which order to turn the devices on and off?

As a general rule: Turn the V6II on last.

Camera:
    1. Turn on camera.
    2. Make sure the camera is attentive, by tapping the shutter release button.
    3. Turn on the V6II on the camera (keep tapping the shutter release button, just to be sure the camera doesn't dip away).
    Flash:
    1. Turn on the flash.
    2. Ensure it is in P-TTL mode.
    3. Turn on the V6II receiver attached to the flash.
  • Cactus V6ii: I found out (maybe the manual said so, don't remember all of it): The Cactus unit reads the flash, when Cactus V6ii is turned on under a turned on flash.
    So in order to change form P-TTL to HSS I must: 1) Turn off the Cactus units, 2) Change settings on the flashes.
    3) Turn on the Cactus units, which will now read the changed flashes.
    4) Now the HSS ON option will be available on the TX unit - change it to HSS ON.

So, when I set shutter speed on the camera to 1/500, both flashes fire correctly and in sync..

It works, but I'll never use it professionally. This procedure is just way too time consuming, when standing in front of ten 12 year old boys, that should be happy, relaxed and smiling. This change to HSS ought to be provided in appr. 2 secs and from the camera. This may actually work with the Cactus RF60x flash - off camera??? Will it??
  • edited April 2018
    Planfoto said:

This change to HSS ought to be provided in appr. 2 secs and from the camera.

Why don't you leave the flash in HSS mode all the time?
    It should only use HSS when needed, i.e., when the shutter speed calls for it.

Anything else wouldn't make sense. When I use my Metz 58 AF-2 on a V6II receiver, the flash is in "P-TTL HSS" mode all the time. No changes required at any point in time.

Planfoto said:

This may actually work with the Cactus RF60x flash - off camera??? Will it??

Yes, of course, it will.

The RF60x switches to HSS mode automatically. No manual intervention is necessary ever.

Your Pentax flash on a V6II receiver should behave the same way, AFAIC.

• Thanks Class A. This is close to what I found out :-)
    Please look at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bladt/41606349891/in/dateposted/

Regards Jens
  • edited April 2018
    Yes, just leave HSS on all the time. It's all automatic.

It seems that you are making setup more complicated than it should be.
    1. Compatible TTL flash such as your Pentax, just set them to P-TTL.
    2. If you have an RF60X, you don't need to set anything besides channel and groups.
    3. For the V6 II RX, the one you mount TTL flash on, you can manually select a flash system and profile for AF360FGZ / AF540FGZ; it's required for Metz flashes anyway.
    4. For the V6 II TX, the one you mount on camera, you don't have to set anything also, the default HSS mode is on. Just leave it on. It will still work if you shoot at or below camera's x-sync speed (e.g. 1/125s).
    5. Then all you need to do is set the flash groups in either TTL or manual power control modes.
    Planfoto said:

... Power Sync doesn't work, but I guess can do without :-)

Did you made any timing adjustments? See below:

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.