XT2 and EFX500 and V6ii and Firmware "A" not transmitting zoom data.

Hi there. Transmitting flash zoom data from the transmitting V6ii using the dial causes the flash to no longer receive any data at all except "fire". Thats to say I can use the V6ii perfectly fine until I send a zoom change, then the receiving unit no longer responds. All units using the latest firmware. Thanks.
robertpaulelliott.pixieset.com 

Comments

• Here is a video of what is happening. 🙁 Factory reset. Brand new camera. Identical flashes. This is terrible.

If I leave the units alone long enough, the problem moves from the one unit to the other!

https://we.tl/2vTVwTiQob
  • We are on it!

Sorry for the inconvenience during this time.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • @throwfirewoodatme R&D advised that flash head must be facing forward if you want to adjust zoom. It cannot be tilted at any angle other than the forward position.

You may repeat what you just did in your video but with both flash head pointing forward (original / standard position), and see if you still encounter issues.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • #1 the flash head zooms when facing any direction when directly on the body.
    #2 this makes no difference. Flash head(s) is now facing forward only and the same problem occurs.

I still encounter issues.
  • Sorry my mistake, the Fuji EF-X500 does support zoom adjustments at other tilt angles.

It seems that one of your EF-X500 is not aligned correctly with the V6 II. Check the one of the link in my signature.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• I already use that method, and I never had this problem with previous firmware.
  • We just tested using one EF-X500 (we only have one) without any problem, even without a spacer of any kind. R&D said they usually use one - maybe it's just me.

There could be a chance that the V6 II recognize the flash as Fujifilm but fails to connect with the flash on certain hot shoe contact pin. Or it could be at the start of the auto-detect, it sees it as Fuji but after awhile it bumps out of alignment.

I was able to adjust from 24mm to 120mm, back and forth, multiple times. Smooth as silk.

So it is definitely not a Cactus firmware issue.

Mount both your EF-X500 directly on camera hot shoe, adjust the zoom of the lens and see if the zoom motor responds accordingly.

Next mount each of the EF-X500 one by one, on the same V6 II RX unit first, in order to single out if it is with a particular V6 II's hot shoe that the X500 reacts to differently.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio, already tried all of the above. It only becomes a problem when two units are used. Single units behave perfectly fine no matter which combination of V6 and which flash unit are combined.
  • Hi Antonio, already tried all of the above. It only becomes a problem when two units are used. Single units behave perfectly fine no matter which combination of V6 and which flash unit are combined.

That's absurd, because the TX doesn't know how many RX there are nor what is mounted on the RX.

We will try anyway, mounting another FUJI flash on a second RX unit.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• It is! I can only think there is somehow a radio conflict, and that doesn't even make sense. What compels me to be insistent in the matter is that this problem only occurs with the new FW. Even if thats not the cause. I even changed to Channel 8 in case that mattered. In the meantime, I am going to go recharge all batteries and methodically re-test all scenarios.
  • At the moment I can't think of a reasonable explanation...

I just tried adjusting zoom of two flashes, one EF-X500 and the Nissin i60A (for FUJI). Both responded well. Both V6 II are running on Channel 13 and both set to Group A. Also tried one in A and the other in B, worked well also. All V6 II are running on FUJ.A.001. Camera used is the X-H1.

Please keep me posted on your tests. Just in case it's a hardware / hot shoe alignment issue, do try to swap around the V6 II units and see if that helps.

Thank you very much.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• OK, all batteries fully charged, system works flawlessly. (the batteries were reading charged before though and didn't take long to recharge?) Perhaps it was just the batteries... I will have to keep shooting and see when the problem occurs again. (Didn't change anything in the mounting procedure, so pretty sure they're mounted as they always were.)

Will keep you posted.
  • Oh nice. Hopefully it's only the batteries acting up and it'll be smooth sailing here onward.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager