Panasonic GX80/GX85 compatibility? HSS?

Hi,

I'm about to buy the Cactus V6 II to be able to use my Metz Mecablits 48 AF-1 (Canon), and in the future some others on my Panasonic GX80 (same as GX85).

I'm pretty convinced the Metz will work one way or the other after some research, and the GX80 seems to be 'working' as well. However, I've read some mixed experiences on the HSS:

https://www.cactus-image.com/community/discussion/comment/6631
Searching on outside of this disscussion board, I did not find very conclusive experiences as well.

In the compatibility-list, I found the following:
Cactus V6 II X-TTL firmware supports RF60 and RF60X. However, due to special timing requirements by Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 and G85, a white banding may show on the picture from shutter speed 1/250s to 1/500s when aperture is below F5.6
I know: not the same model, but still very similar in many aspects.

Should I expect any problems with the GX80, or specific combination of GX80 with the Metz flash? If so, what would be the impact?

Thanks.

Comments

• We were not able to test one (GX80 / GX85) so we can't be sure.

As to problems to expect, we don't know either. But judging from other Lumix models and @hansolo , HSS did not work at all. Perhaps with the newer X-TTL firmware (OLY.A.001) things may change? But we don't know for sure.

If possible, try to find a store that sells both Lumix cameras and Cactus so you can check on the spot? Do you know of one locally? If not we can try asking some dealers.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Just contacted a dealer. They assured me I can test it on my camera and return it if I wish to. So I ordered a set to give it a try.

To be continued...
  • Just contacted a dealer. They assured me I can test it on my camera and return it if I wish to. So I ordered a set to give it a try.

To be continued...

Oh nice. That's very kind of the store. Please keep us posted.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited April 2018
    Just received them, and tested shortly with the Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 (Canon).
    At first, it didn't seem to work at <1/250, but remounting the module on my camera did the trick. Seems the connection was a bitt iffy. Both on-camera (with the module in between) as off-camera works on default settings.

I will do some further testing later on, but it looks promising. Great stuff!

• At first, it didn't seem to work at <1/250, but remounting the module on my camera did the trick. Seems the connection was a bitt iffy. </p>

If you have continued connection problems, you may want to try removing the spring in the camera's hot-shoe.

• I will do some further testing later on, but it looks promising. Great stuff!

Great! Please keep us posted.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager