underexposure with pentax and nikon

I tried either Pentax k1 with metz 52a1 and nikon d800 with nissin i866II and mg8000. Using crossbranding firmware in both v6II units. Terrible underexposure in all cases - even, if I use K1 with nissin flashes. Instead of 1/1 expected exposure am getting something like 1/4. Any clues?

Comments

• Hi @filorp

Well, the "Multi-brand HSS" firmware does not support TTL. In other words, if you a proper exposure you will need to set it yourself using this firmware, OR you install system-specific firmware versions:
    1. PEN.A.xxx when you use your Pentax K-1.
    2. NIK.A.xxx when you use your Nikon D800.
    If swapping between firmware versions is too much a hassle and you absolutely need TTL, then you might be better off getting an additional V6 II so you have dedicated transmitter units for both cameras.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited May 2018
    Thank you Antonio, but I am not very much interested in pttl or ittl automatic flash functions. As we all know ttl is involved even in hss manual mode which is offered by cross brand firmware. Let me rephrase my problem: Pentax k1 and metz 52a1 set everything up, dial 1/1 flash power on the transceiver and am getting only 1/4 of flash power. Then I set manual without ttl involvement: i set 1/1 on the metz flash fire and I get exactly full flash power but I cannot obviously change the power without dialling on the flash itself. With nikon setup exactly the same with the difference that am gettin like 1/32 or less flash power when set on the transmitter to 1/1. Everything works: I can change the zoom remotely, I can see aux af light, when i half press shutter, cactus led is lit orange, both transceiver and receiver, when I dial power levels on the transceiver, the receiver fallows those settings etc....
  • edited May 2018
    Or you are saying that in order to get full manual control over flashes with multi-brand hss firmware, you need (old analogue) ttl capable equipment not modern i-ttl or p-ttl flashes or cameras.... please make it clear
  • edited May 2018
    @filorp
    You don't need analogue TTL equipment with the V6II. The V6 (without the "II") needs analogue TTL-capable flashes, but the V6II does not. The V6II requires the P-TTL/i-TTL capabilities from your flashes.

Have you perhaps set a negative (-2EV) flash exposure compensation value on the cameras? We ruled out negative flash exposure compensation on the flashes when you asked on pentaxforums.com already but I didn't think to ask about the camera setting back then.

May I suggest to put the Metz 52 AF-1 in P-TTL mode on the K-1 with a lens cap on the lens or pointing the lens into a dark corner where even bounced flash may not enter? The idea is to provoke the P-TTL system to request full power from the flash and then compare that output with the output you see from the setup involving V6II units. If you are getting full power output from an on-camera flash in P-TTl mode, the fault would be with the V6II units/setup.

I think comparing to the output when the flash is set to manual control is not ideal for troubleshooting this situation.

As you already know, you cannot use a light meter to measure the flash output, as it would respond to the pre-flash. However, 1/4 power should be distinguishable from 1/1 power, if only through the recycle time. Recharging the flash capacitor after a 1/1 power flash should take considerably longer than from a 1/4 power flash. If the use of the V6II units really just results in a 1/4 output then you should be able to fire off four (or so) shots in quick succession while you shouldn't be able to do that when the Metz 52 AF-1 is mounted to the camera directly (with P-TTL control and blocking light access to the lens).

Remember to ensure to set up the V6II receiver that is attached to the Metz 52 AF-1 with "flash system = pentax" and "flash profile = metz50af-1", and to switch on the V6II receiver unit after you turned on the flash.
  • edited May 2018
    You have made it very clear class A, Il'l repeat the experiment. I get your idea about cup on the lens quite well.... it does make sense. I have checked all compensations on cameras reg flash and general - its not the problem.
  • edited May 2018
    ok, here we go I have upgraded to pentax firmware p001, and in pttl mode with the settings as above everything works in very unreliable way, for 10 pictures I have 2-3 properly exposed the majority is vastly underexposed, When I attache the flash straight to the hot shoe and lens cap on recharge time is in pttl mode around 4s when attached to the cactus receiver no more than 2s (same with the cross brand 1...13 and 1...10 firmware) - but i am not after pttl at all, in manual mode i am unable to squeeze full power from the flash exactly like with cross brand 1......13 firmware (I tried downgrading as well to 1.....10), it always fires around 1/4. With Petax k1 and nikon mount nissin 866II I got best result, only around half power of the flash is missing. So this is not for me at all. I was after cross branding and manually selected power from the trigger. What this offers me is much more expensive stuff over cactus v4 + much, much more hassle + "where is most of the flash powe gone" situation. I have currently 4 units tried various combinations. Will not change the firmware to nikon to try it out as we have godox with ittl and cls that works flawlessly and its 1/3 the price of cactus v6II. I have done around 300 test pictures of my workbench, wasted lots of time, whats left is pack it up and send it back to the seller.
  • If I were you, I would await the response by Cactus.

You've invested quite a bit of time so it seems bad timing to me to quit before you heard from Cactus. Their first response was about your "underexposure" experience, which let them on the wrong path.

Perhaps there is a bug, I don't know, but I cannot remember a situation when power was missing when using the V6II.

That you only get 2-3 out of 10 pictures properly exposed is not normal either. Potentially, you have hot-shoe connection issues, but there could be other reasons (such as being too close to the receivers without having the "SHORT" range mode activated).

If you had enough, that's your choice, but if you have some time left before you have to send the units back, I'd use it to hear what Cactus has to say.
  • I know what the problem/bug is, just turned on auto zoom on metz flash, now it fires with full power - no remote control over flash zoom though it resolved the problem with being unreliable on pena001 firmware now fires as if the flash was on the cameras hot shoe. But the same trick with nikon nissin flash causes that the flash is out of synch flash fires but its to early or to late, its contribution to the exposure is 0. Men we are not talking about just one bug, we talking about mine field of bugs, making one change cases unexpected behaviour. I think I'll wait to cactus 7.
    Class A said:

you have hot-shoe connection issues

its not my fault the entire hot shoe is badly designed starting from the dimensions of the plate...
  • filorp said:

I know what the problem/bug is, just turned on auto zoom on metz flash, now it fires with full power - no remote control over flash zoom though it resolved the problem with being unreliable on pena001 firmware now fires as if the flash was on the cameras hot shoe. But the same trick with nikon nissin flash causes that the flash is out of synch flash fires but its to early or to late, its contribution to the exposure is 0. Men we are not talking about just one bug, we talking about mine field of bugs, making one change cases unexpected behaviour. I think I'll wait to cactus 7.

Class A said:

you have hot-shoe connection issues

its not my fault the entire hot shoe is badly designed starting from the dimensions of the plate...
    Hello @filorp

Thank you very much for your understanding and enormous effort in sticking by in troubleshooting the problem with us. I express great appreciation for your patience with us.

I have already forwarded your discovery about AUTO ZOOM on the Metz flash to R&D team. FYI in our previous test with Metz for Pentax we never had to tinker with any of the sub menu settings (actually none other flash system for that matter). So we suspect this particular Metz 52 AF-1 is a special case. Since we do not have this particular flash model we will have to acquire one to find out for sure.

In the meantime we will test other Metz models for Pentax, such as the 58 AF-1, and see if adjusting the auto zoom changes in how the flash behave.

I will post updates as soon as I hear back from R&D.

Thank you again for your understanding during this time.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • @filorp : One quick check - on your V6 II (TX), go to Menu > Functions > Multi-flash.

Is it on or off?

If it is on, it may limit flash power output to not power above 1/4. Try turning it off and see if you are now able to adjust power to a "real" 1/1 full power.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Antonio said:

@filorp : One quick check - on your V6 II (TX), go to Menu > Functions > Multi-flash.

Is it on or off?

If it is on, it may limit flash power output to not power above 1/4. Try turning it off and see if you are now able to adjust power to a "real" 1/1 full power.

Thanks!

I didn't touch this function so it was probably off, just packet it up and sending it back to the seller. Am out.

Thank you guys but the product requires lots of work and making beta testers out of customers is not good business conduct.
  • edited June 2018
    filorp said:

Antonio said:

@filorp : One quick check - on your V6 II (TX), go to Menu > Functions > Multi-flash.

Is it on or off?

Thanks!

I didn't touch this function so it was probably off, just packet it up and sending it back to the seller. Am out.

Thank you guys but the product requires lots of work and making beta testers out of customers is not good business conduct.
    We are extremely sorry the troubleshoot process made you feel that way. It is absolutely not what we intended so please accept our sincere apologies.

Edit: FYI since we are unable to verify the compatibility with the Metz 52 AF-1 for Pentax we will list this flash as NOT compatible., we won't be able to list it as compatible. Personally I am leaning to list it as not compatible.

Thank you again for your valuable time.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• @Antonio

I remember that another shooter had trouble with the Metz 58 AF-1 as well, but there was also one that got it to work with a Pentax K-1 and the V6II.

If it is working for some (using the 50-AF1 profile) then would think it should be working for everyone. The firmware version on the flash could be a variable, for instance.
  • Class A said:

@Antonio

I remember that another shooter had trouble with the Metz 58 AF-1 as well, but there was also one that got it to work with a Pentax K-1 and the V6II.

If it is working for some (using the 50-AF1 profile) then would think it should be working for everyone. The firmware version on the flash could be a variable, for instance.

Yes, @raychan just showed me that as well. But I am still feeling iffy about listing the flash as compatible, unless we can ask @Jeff on how he's getting on with his Metz 52 AF-1?

Or alternatively we have to test it for ourselves. But it may be very hard to find one in the second hand shops since they are relatively rare.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• how about k1 with nissin di866II and mg800 or nikon d800 with them? Lets not forget that apart from metz flash all of those combinations didn't work for me either. Its not just poor metz flash.
  • filorp said:

how about k1 with nissin di866II and mg800 or nikon d800 with them? Lets not forget that apart from metz flash all of those combinations didn't work for me either. Its not just poor metz flash.

First thing off the bat, when using any non-P-TTL flashes with a Pentax camera, you DO NOT have any automatic TTL exposure.

So when you using your Pentax K-1 with your Nikon system flashes (MG8000 and Di866 II) you don't get TTL. You only get manual power control, zoom control and HSS.

Good news is that we will be able to borrow the Pentax K-1 by the end of June from Pentax distributor in Hong Kong and we can test this particular camera. But for your reference, many Pentax beta testers have the K-1 and there weren't any camera-specific problems discovered. So 99% is due to the poor Metz 52 AF-1 :'(

When you tried the Nikon setup, what firmware did you use again?
    NIK.A.001 (Nikon X-TTL) and 1.1.013 (Multi-brand HSS) should both work with Nissin flashes. And do remember your Metz (for Pentax) can only work with a Pentax camera

FYI we will also have a Nissin MG8000 (for Nikon) probably early next week, so we can test the Nikon setup with a D600 and D750, we don't have D800.

Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Antonio said:

When you tried the Nikon setup, what firmware did you use again?
    NIK.A.001 (Nikon X-TTL) and 1.1.013 (Multi-brand HSS) should both work with Nissin flashes. And do remember your Metz (for Pentax) can only work with a Pentax camera

this is exactly what I used: firmware 11013 Pentax + nissin nikon flashes; nikon d800 with nissin flashes, you should make more clear what you mean by manual mode, what is ttl mode, what is pttl mode when you ask the question - I have read the manual I know that pentax flashes cannot be use with other camera brands in manual wireless triggered mode and pentax camera cannot be used in pttl or ittl mode with different brands unless u use manual mode like with cactus v4. All we do here is establishing the nomenclature its like 75% of conversation is making sure the other part speaks the same language.

and I think you beta testers should be beta re-tested. I suspect that whats happened is People just do not see there is something wrong with the equipment - because basically it works - flash is triggered, all zoom and half press led works etc but there is small flaw - all your pictures are underexposed and in manual wireless mode you're not getting power that has been set on the trigger, its hard to notice if you do not know your flashes, umbrellas, beautydishes and softboxes very well.
  • edited June 2018
    @filorp
    I know the difference between a full power flash and 1/4 power flash. I have had no such issues with the V6II.

However, as I only use the RF60 outside beta testing as it is so much more convenient then using my Metz 58 AF-2 with a V6II receiver, I thought I should see whether V1.1.013 is still working as it should with my Metz 58 AF-2.

I discovered a couple of things that are most likely related to the issues you were having. Sorry for having been unaware of these all the time. I didn't experience them with earlier firmware versions and didn't have any experience with recent firmware versions and the Metz 58 AF-2.

@Antonio
    There are clearly a number of bugs in V1.1.013 when it comes to controlling the power of a Metz 58 AF-2 (firmware V5.0) with a V6II.

If I set "CUSTOM SETTING" to any of "TYPE 1"-"TYPE 3", I get two problems (with "V1.1.013" on both V6II units):
    1. In order to get a full power flash out of the Metz 58 AF-2, I have to set the smallest aperture and the fasted shutter speed possible. With other aperture settings and/or long shuttter speeds, the flash power is reduced. With the aperture set to wide open, the Metz only emits a pretty weak flash.
    2. An RF60 (running V205) does not fire anymore as soon as the shutter speed exceeds the sync-speed. It doesn't matter whether "AU(to) HSS" is set to "ON" or "OFF".
    Regarding 1.: The flash output should clearly neither depend on shutter speed nor the aperture value.

Even when the "CUSTOM SETTING" is set to "OFF" there is an influence of camera parameters on the flash power. The influence is less pronounced but I still don't get nowhere near full power with a wide open aperture and a shutter speed of 1/4. At least problem 2. does not occur with "CUSTOM SETTING" set to "OFF".

There is another pitfall: The flash output when using the test button does not correspond to the power output selected on the V6II transmitter. This could be intentional, but as the manual makes no mention of it, one could be excused to believe that using the test button is equivalent to using the camera. However, that is clearly not the case as far as flash power output of a Metz 58 AF-2 is concerned.

In my view, the flash power should always correspond to the power setting on the V6II, even if the test button is used. One could be manually firing the flash using the test button during a long exposure and in this case the set power should be available, not a weaker version of it.
  • it looks like you'v nailed it. I used 1/125s iso 100 and f8 does it fall in the range of unreliability?
  • filorp said:

I used 1/125s iso 100 and f8 does it fall in the range of unreliability?

I'd have to run a test again, but I'd say with 99% certainty that you unfortunately would have seen quite a bit loss of of power.

@Antonio, let me know if it would be helpful to you if I ran the same test using "PEN.A.001".

• Thank you for the bug report on the Multi-brand HSS firmware. I forwarded them to R&D for testing and debug.

We are now conducting internal tests of the next version of 1.1.013, but running on the new "A" protocol - it will be released as V62.A.001. So your findings come at a good time. FYI the original V6 will also get its "A" version, as V61.A.001.

Yes, if you also try to see if there are any weird problems on the PEN.A.001 that would be great. Thanks for your help.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• edited June 2018
    I got to the bottom of the issue, at least as far as my Metz 58 AF-2 is concerned.

First, the good news:

With PEN.A.001 there is no issue with the RF60 (running A06). It always fires, independently of the "CUSTOM SETTING" and shutter speed.

The rest is semi-good news.

Everything is fine on PEN.A.001 and V1.1.013, if the Metz 58 AF-2 flash head is angled forward, i.e, if uses its 0° forward-firing position that one would use for direct flash with an on-camera flash.

The test button works as expected and there is no influence of the camera parameters over the flash power.

The problems I observed regarding flash power occur on both PEN.A.001 and V1.1.013, if the Metz 58 AF-2's head is in the bounce position (e.g., 90°).

So there is a solution which is to set the flash head to 0°. However, that is quite limiting so ideally everything should also work when the flash head is not at 0°.

I hope this helps and let me know if I can run any other tests for you.

P.S.: I tested PEN.A.001 using the "M" mode for groups in order to eliminate the camera's metering from the equation.
  • edited June 2018
    filorp said:

I used 1/125s iso 100 and f8 does it fall in the range of unreliability?

I just tested these parameters with PEN.A.001 and if the flash head is not pointing forward (is not at its 0° setting), the power output is severely reduced.

As soon as I move the flash head forward, however, a 1/1 power flash takes the normal amount of recycling time. I didn't make exposure measurements but based on the recycling times alone (90° -> instant vs 0° -> 3s) it is clear that there is a huge difference in power output.
  • ...did they tested the cactus with k5? I thought that Pentax's poor flash performance ended with k5. What you are describing is exactly what i'v been experiencing with K5 and flash word to word. Its like mimicking K5 flash behaviour. This is also the reason why I took over 5 years brake with Pentax.
  • edited June 2018
    filorp said:

...did they tested the cactus with k5?

Cactus tested several Pentax camera models.

I did my tests with a K-5 and K-1. The deciding factor, however, is the flash head angle, not the camera model.

filorp said:

I thought that Pentax's poor flash performance ended with k5.

P-TTL hasn't changed much at all over the years.

The main problem with the K-5 is the camera's limited flash metering abilities.
    All my tests were done with manual power settings, so the camera model and its potential limitations does not really enter the equation.

filorp said:

What you are describing is exactly what i'v been experiencing with K5 and flash word to word. Its like mimicking K5 flash behaviour.

I can somewhat relate to what you are saying but I have a feeling that you are discussing matters of flash exposure metering whereas I am talking about an unexpected influence of camera parameters on the flash power. I find it strange that the V6II even considers the camera parameters for manually controlled groups. It would have to do so in "FLASH COMPENSATE" mode, but not in the standard mode.

• Class A said:

Cactus tested several Pentax camera models. I did my tests with a K-5 and K-1. The deciding factor, however, is the flash head angle, not the camera model.

Flash head position has influence on camera behaviour reg pttl operations
    Class A said:

P-TTL hasn't changed much at all over the years.

O yes it dit with k5 and previous models pttl was useless especially with tilted flash head, with k1 is ok. As I see it and understand entire metering system of camera is engage in xttl operation, hence model of the flash and camera model will determine the interpretation of the language they speak to each other. There are different codes sent and received depending on the zoom, aperture etc even shutter speed, if hss range is on, flash behaves differently... cactus is currently an element that interfere with communication.
    Class A said:

The main problem with the K-5 is the camera's limited flash metering abilities.
    All my tests were done with manual power settings, so the camera model and its potential limitations does not really enter the equation.

What I mean is they repeat pttl algorithms from models like k5, so basically cactus repeats limitations of k5.
    Class A said:

I have a feeling that you are discussing matters of flash exposure metering whereas I am talking about an unexpected influence of camera parameters on the flash power.

apparently its not so unexpected, now you know it does has influence
  • edited June 2018
    filorp said:

Flash head position has influence on camera behaviour reg pttl operations

Yes, but ideally it shouldn't have any influence when the flash power is manually controlled by a V6II.

filorp said:

O yes it dit with k5 and previous models pttl was useless especially with tilted flash head, with k1 is ok.

I mentioned the K-5's flash metering issues and I don't dispute that there were minor tweaks regarding how cameras implemented P-TTL (that, for instance, resulted in the K-3 having an unusually long flash delay) but P-TTL as such remained the same; there were no extensions to the functionality or changes to the fundamental principles.

filorp said:

...cactus is currently an element that interfere with communication.

In the manual control modes of the V1.1.013 firmware and the "M" groups of the PEN.A.001 firmware, the V6II shouldn't "interfere" at all but 100% control the flash power. It should entirely ignore the camera (outside advanced modes such as "FLASH COMPENSATE").

filorp said:

What I mean is they repeat pttl algorithms from models like k5, so basically cactus repeats limitations of k5.

Again, when using manual flash power control, there shouldn't be any P-TTL algorithms involved at all.

Cactus can correct me if I'm wrong, but even when you run PEN.A.001 and use automated metering, I believe the V6II is relying on the camera's metering and calculations. It doesn't implement its own P-TTL algorithms. I'd see no reason for doing so (and likely obstacles for doing so as well).

filorp said:

apparently its not so unexpected, now you know it does has influence

I do find it unexpected that camera parameters influence the V6II behaviour when manually controlling flash power. Outside advanced modes like "FLASH COMPENSATE" that shouldn't happen at all, hence I find it unexpected.

I hope we'll be hearing from Cactus to see whether they can reproduce the behaviour with any of the gear available to them.
  • Class A said:

filorp said:

Again, when using manual flash power control, there shouldn't be any P-TTL algorithms involved at all.

Cactus can correct me if I'm wrong, but even when you run PEN.A.001 and use automated metering, I believe the V6II is relying on the camera's metering and calculations. It doesn't implement its own P-TTL algorithms. I'd see no reason for doing so (and likely obstacles for doing so as well).

Exactly so.

TTL is determined by the camera and not the V6 II.

V6 II pretends to be a flash when mounted on camera hot shoe. So if K-5 has some TTL issues it will be seen when used directly with a Pentax flash or a V6 II - there won't be any difference since the V6 II only passes the TTL information off remotely (2.4GHz), it does not alter any actual TTL information.

So if there is genuinely some problem with Pentax K-5 TTL algorithm it will stay when you use the V6 II. The V6 II is not a pill you take in hoping that it would cure any shortcomings that the camera inherently has with TTL so it will indeed repeat whatever it does before.

Hope this makes sense. :wink:

Also, do keep the flash head at original position - facing forward, and not tilted up. This has been an issue with Pentax system flash as @Class A pointed out earlier.

Colleague @raychan has been testing upcoming firmware updates and I have forwarded him this conversation.

Thank you both!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• K1, unlike k5 and previous models, works fine with flash attached directly to the hot shoe - exactly same reliability as nikon professional grade cameras d800/810 flash head tilted or no. When cactus v6II comes in-between I can see the same behaviour on k1 and d800 as in the past with k5 - that's why I have brought k5 case here. According to experience above I have concluded that cactus in fact brings something to the equation - its not just like you have said numb and passive medium (talking about pen001 or nikon firmware when it works in xttl mode).
  • edited June 2018
    filorp said:

According to experience above I have concluded that cactus in fact brings something to the equation - its not just like you have said numb and passive medium (talking about pen001 or nikon firmware when it works in xttl mode).

You are correct for the case when the flash head is not pointing forward (0° vertical angle).

However, since the V6II appears(*) to remain neutral when the flash head is angled forward, I believe it is pretty safe to say that the non-compliant behaviour associated with different vertical head angles is due to a bug that can most likely be fixed.

I think it is important to distinguish how something ought to operate vs how it actually operates, if the latter is hampered by a bug.

(*) I only verified it for manual groups; my earlier tests regarding TTL groups were fine as well, but I haven't checked recently.