Off camera transceiver not firing in sync with everything else

Hello,

I've scoured the internet to find an answer to my question, and have found people having similar issues (like here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3014202), but have not had any luck with any of the solutions that have been proposed. So, here's my issue . . .

I'm using a remote triggering system to operate an off-camera flash; here's my setup:

- Nikon D7200
- 4 Cactus v5 transceivers
- Yongnuo YN560 IV

I have 1 transceiver plugged into the accessory terminal of my Nikon and it is set to RX; I have another transceiver in my hand and it is set to TX. Both are set to channel 1.

I have another transceiver sitting in the hotshoe of the Nikon, and it is set to TX; and the final transceiver is connected to my remote speedlight and set to RX. Both of these transceivers are set to channel 2.

The speedlight is set to manual as is the camera.
When I set up my system, the issue I'm having is that when I trigger the transceiver in my hand, everything will fire but the flash will not be captured in my image. I've even fired the flash directly into the lens but there is no light coming from it in the picture even though I can see that it fires. I've tried the following to rectify it:

- new batteries in everything
- I've changed up where each transceiver is hooked up
- I've tried different channels (and have tried setting everything to the same channel)
- I've tried each setting on the flash sync speed on my camera
- I've tried each level of flash power on the speedlight
- I've tried each setting on the speedlight

The kicker is that if I turn off the transceiver in my hand and just fire directly from the shutter button on my camera, everything works. However, I need to be able to use the transceiver in my hand for real estate photography. Everything was working as it should a couple of months ago, but I'm now facing this issue.

Am I just dealing with a bum transceiver? Is there something accounting for some kind of delay when I fire from the transceiver in my hand?

Any feedback or insight about this issue would be most welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Eric

Comments

• eceller said:

Hi Eric,

The speedlight has to operate in TTL mode if you are indeed using the V6 or V6 II.

Since you post this message in the V5 section, but in the text you said V6, please clarify which model of flash trigger are you using?

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Antonio said:

eceller said:

Hi Eric,

The speedlight has to operate in TTL mode if you are indeed using the V6 or V6 II.

Since you post this message in the V5 section, but in the text you said V6, please clarify which model of flash trigger are you using?

Thanks!
    My original message indicates that I'm using v5 transceivers (at least that's what I'm seeing on my end).

At any rate, on the v5 I've been able to use manual mode on everything, but suddenly I'm having the issue I detailed in my post.

Thanks!
  • edited June 13
    Your issue is that your are using two channels from the "blue group" and are using channel "1" for initial triggering.

Remember that channel 1 supports a "multi-channel"/"multi-cast" behaviour for all blue channels (1-5). This results in the flash (on channel 2) being triggered as the same time as the camera. The camera will then be too late to capture the flash, due to its shutter lag.

Just choose the second channel you are using from the "white group" or don't use channel 1 for initial triggering and you should be fine.
  • Thanks @eceller for the clarifications and @Class A for chiming in.

Indeed if you are using V5 the speedlight needs to stay in M mode.

Hope it works and do keep us posted!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • > @Class A said:
    > Your issue is that your are using two channels from the "blue group" and are using channel "1" for initial triggering.
    >
    > Remember that channel 1 supports a "multi-channel"/"multi-cast" behaviour for all blue channels (1-5). This results in the flash (on channel 2) being triggered as the same time as the camera. The camera will then be too late to capture the flash, due to its shutter lag.
    >
    > Just choose the second channel you are using from the "white group" or don't use channel 1 for initial triggering and you should be fine.

Hi Class A. Thanks for this suggestion. I think I'm inderstsnding what you're saying, but to confirm . . .

Based on your proposed solution, I've tried the following, neither of which have worked . . .

- off camera transceiver - channel 1
    - camera transceiver - channel 16
    - camera hotshoe transceiver - channel 16
    - speedlight transceiver - channel 16

Or

Everything set to channel 6

Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Thanks again for the help!
  • edited June 13
    eceller said:

Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Yes, set the channels as follows:

Transceiver (Rx) plugged into the terminal of your Nikon: Channel 6.
    Transceiver (Tx) in your hand: Channel 6.

Transceiver (Tx) sitting in the hotshoe of your Nikon: Channel 2
    Transceiver (Rx) connected to your remote speedlight: Channel 2

Other configurations are possible, but this one should work.
  • > @Class A said:
    > Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes, set the channels as follows:
    >
    > Transceiver (Rx) plugged into the terminal of your Nikon: Channel 6.
    > Transceiver (Tx) in your hand: Channel 6.
    >
    > Transceiver (Tx) sitting in the hotshoe of your Nikon: Channel 2
    > Transceiver (Rx) connected to your remote speedlight: Channel 2
    >
    > Other configurations are possible, but this one should work.

That seems to have worked -- thank you!!