Pentax 645z V6ii TTL firmware w/ Canon Flashes

With the recent new canon TTL firmware available, I have updated all the V6ii to TTL firmware. The old multi -brand was working great for 5D3 and 645z.

The problem is the flash sycn is off, 645z shows black band at the top of the screen

3x V6ii:
1 using pentax ttl firmware on 645z
2 using canon ttl firmware connected to 580exii and 430exii

TX settings:
Camera: Pentax
Custom Setting: type 1, also tried type 2 and 3
Flash System: canon (seems to get the flash partial on screen), but also tried "auto" and "manual" setting

Has anyone else been using 645z and the new TTL firmwares? Possibly share some insight on how you have it working together?

Thanks,
Erik

Comments

• Hi @erik604

Best to stick to the same X-TTL firmware versions on all V6 II, at least for the time being.

The reason is we release X-TTL versions at different time and they are not meant to work together.

In the near future all can be mixed and matched, but not right now.

So install PEN.A.xxx X-TTL firmware on all your V6 II when you are using the 645Z.

FYI you don't need to install a Canon X-TTL firmware for your Canon speedlights. The Pentax X-TTL firmware (Both TX and RX modes) has all the different flash systems installed, not just Pentax.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi Antonio,

Thanks you for your detail reply. What you suggest will not work for me, as i need to share the flashes and strobes with 2 brands of cameras .

I have already switch back to the old multi brand firmware.

I feel V6ii going X-TTL is chasing the market standard, yet forgot the MAIN ADVANTAGE of V6ii multiple flash system support.

Being a photographer using 3 systems of cameras, Sony, Canon, and Pentax, Cactus V6ii is the only triggers available. Cactus triggers are the only option for anyone wanting to share strobes with multiple cameras at the same time.

If I were to use only one system, Sony or Canon, there are so many triggers available. Godox and Phottix are reliable, and they have good strobes and flash with built-in receivers. Unless Cactus comes out with amazing flash and 600w battery strobes options, buying V6ii doesnt have an advantage.

With all that said, hopefully your team will refocus and fix the issues with multi brand firmware .

AS the V6iis cannot triggers V6ii using sync cable to strobe since 2017 summer.

Otherwise, this V6ii is solid.

• edited July 2018
    erik604 said:

...If I were to use only one system, Sony or Canon, there are so many triggers available.

Yes you are right, there are so many options out there for a standard TTL trigger, where traditionally (and still is the case) one TTL flash trigger has to go with one device. Meaning you have to buy a Canon TTL trigger, and if you happen to switch to Sony, you have to buy another trigger that's made for Sony.

For the Cactus V6 II, you simply need to install a different firmware.

So buying a V6 II does have an advantage.

Like you said, there still isn't another manufacturer who offer cross-brand compatibility and multi-brand compatible device such as for mounting different system flashes (than the camera) on a single device. The V6 II allows you to mount a non-Fujifilm TTL flash on a Fujifilm X-H1 you can get TTL and HSS to work. This works for on camera and off camera setups. Unfortunately for your Canon and Pentax camera, due to their timing cross-brand TTL is not possible. But ony our Sony, off-camera flash with cross-brand TTL is not a problem.

erik604 said:

Thanks you for your detail reply. What you suggest will not work for me, as i need to share the flashes and strobes with 2 brands of cameras .

As I mentioned, in the near future you can mix and match different X-TTL firmware versions. And in your case:
    1. Pentax 645Z > PEN.A.002 (Unit A) triggering 580exii on CAN.A.002 (Unit B) and 430exii on CAN.A.002 (Unit C)
    2. Canon 5D3 > CAN.A.002 (Unit B) triggering PEN.A.002 (Unit A) and 430exii on CAN.A.002 (Unit C)
    So this:
    erik604 said:

Cactus triggers are the only option for anyone wanting to share strobes with multiple cameras at the same time.

...will remain true when we release new firmware versions for all the X-TTL firmware.

And for those who do not need TTL, Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) already offers this one device for all (well, not really all per se but the more popular ones in the market now).

Cactus (Harvest One Ltd.) being a small company of only a handful of people, so we are quite stressed out on R&D.

Speaking of a 600Ws strobe, it is already on the drawing board. But we are currently focusing all of our energy on the 250Ws.

erik604 said:

With all that said, hopefully your team will refocus and fix the issues with multi brand firmware .

AS the V6iis cannot triggers V6ii using sync cable to strobe since 2017 summer.

This has been fixed on firmware version SON.A.001 when it was released in April 2018.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we really appreciate them.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.