Pentax: AF-201FG with K-1

edited July 2018 in V6 II Compatibility
As was mentioned here, the AF-201FG has refused flat to fire on-camera.
V6II, PEN.A.001, Pentax Auto, TTL Passthrough on/

However, off-camera the fash happens to work very well. The TTL mode seems to be correct enough.

The main bonus of the Cactus V6II system comes with the Manual mode.
While the flash itself has only TWO manual power levels - 1/1 and 1/4 - I have managed to differentiate EIGHT exposure levels when it is installed on an off-camera V6II (K-1 + V6IItx <-> V6IIrx + AF-201FG):
1/256 - 1/128 - 1/64 - 1/32 - 1/16 - 1/8 - 1/4 - 1/2(1/1)

I have not been able to distinguish between 1/2 and 1/1 - in my test conditions these exposure levels looked pretty much the same (maybe because both were heavily overexposed). Other test conditions may give a different result.

So at first sight the flash is fairly useable in a remote setup, albeit not too powerful. And far more controllable than directly on-camera (also considering the V6II enables to adjust +/-5EV in TTL, of course if the power is enough).

Comments

• That's good news, as I remember others previously said AF-201FG does not work at all on the V6 II.

As we don't have one to test we cannot comment further on the exposure level, etc. But my guess is that due to the size of the flash (and power), the power range that is adjustable is relatively limited. And it really depends on your camera settings if you want to see a particular power change, albeit just a little variation.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.