Confusion about firmware version possibilities

Configuration: OLY EM1 MK1 and EM1 Mk2 / Canon 5D Mk3 / 2x V6ii firmware OLY A001 / 4x V6 firmware 2.1.001 / Flashes: RF60X firmware 3.07. , also a Canon 580EX, Oly FL600R, and a few older Nikon flashes (SB....)

I coinsider bying some extra V6ii's but I am confused about the different firmwares that are possible on the V6ii. I mostly shoot with the OLY camera's and want to use full HSS and TTL possibilities using 2 or 3 (seldom more) external flashes. Wich firmware do I have to load in de V6ii's , and do I have full possibilities then?
The name "cross-brand - HSS / Universal" confuses me also. Isn't the OLY A001 - TTL also cross-brand, AND HSS capable? Wich one do I have to choose?

Same question when using the Canon 5D in combination with all those brands of external flashes. Do I have to change the firmware then to the Canon X-TTL version when using this camera? On both TX and RX, or only TX?

Is there a combination that will not work?
Can I work with both camera brands in all the modes (P,A,S,M)?
Any suggestions about the firmware version on the V6's (older ones) concerning eventually working together with the V6ii's (not in HSS or TTL of course)

Many uncertainties and questions about the concept. I hope you can show me more clearly.
Thanks for your support

Comments

• The entire firmware name is "Cross-brand HSS" , such as version 1.1.013, but X-TTL is cross-brand TTL.

If you need to use the same transceiver for both camera systems, Canon and Olympus, then you cannot use OLY.A.001 (X-TTL for Olympus M43), and you must use Mutli-brand HSS. That is because Multi-brand HSS works with multiple camera systems. On the other hand, X-TTL firmware version is a system-specific firmware.

Both firmware versions support cross-brand. Your question I believe is which firmware is multiple-camera system compatible. And the answer is Multi-brand HSS.

If you are planning to get additional V6 II transceivers so you don't share one unit between camera bodies / systems, then you may dedicate a particular unit with a system-specific X-TTL firmware, such as:

OLY.A.001 on V6 II (1/2)
    CAN.A.001 on V6 II (2/2)

Put a label on it and label it as Canon / Olympus.

FYI all firmware versions, Multi-brand HSS or X-TTL, when they operate in RX mode, they essentially are the same - where all flash systems are supported. That means you can mix and match them.

Hope this helps!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • @Antonio
    Thanks for your reply.
    I unterstand as follows: (correct me please if I am wrong)
    1. CROSS-BRAND HSS firmware on the V6ii gives me HSS but NO TTL, but I can use all my flashes (Oly, Canon, Nikon, RF60X) and I can use it on Oly-camera and on Canon-camera.
    2. X-TTL for Olympus: gives me HSS + TTL when used as TX on my Oly-camera. And I can use all my flashes.
    3. X-TTL for Canon: the same as under 2), but as TX installed on my Canon Camera.

Will this work:
    While I have two V6ii's I'll load one with the X-TTL firmware for Olympus, and the other with the X-TTL firmware for Canon. I will label them of course, and use the X-TTL loaded one as TX on my olympus camera, and the other one with one of my flashes as the RX.
    If I use my Canon camera, I switch both the V6ii's: the one with Canon X-TTL loaded becomes the TX and the other becomes then the RX. That would mean that the brand-type of firmware is decisive concerning the emitting of the radiosignals and of course brand dependent, but that, as a receiver, the RX always will work with the different brands of flashes. Or does the RX has also a camera-brand dependent job to do before giving the signal to the flash?
    sincerely
  • edited August 2018
    Perfect!

You nailed it, @Pierewiet :blush:

All firmware versions in RX is brand/system-agnostic.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.