Metz 48AF-1 Canon works with V6II ?

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, I couldn't find what I'm looking for.
I do have a Metz 48AF-1 for Canon.
This is not compatible with Cactus V6 and reading the V6 forum, I understood this flash is using digital TTL (Canon e-TTL), and this would prevent him from working with V6 (designed for analog TTL).
1°) Did I well understood ?

In the same forum, I understood that V6II is made for digital TTL, but I can't find the Metz 48AF-1 in the compatibility list, nor in the list of not working flashes.
2°) Could someone explain if this flash should work, or not ? Or even better, if you successfully tested it ?

Thanks a lot for you inputs.
Thierry
EOS 6DmkII
Metz 48AF-1
Cactus V6 II CAN.A.002
RF60X A.07

Comments

• Hi Thierry,

What you can try is manually select and then <320EX>.

FYI a couple flash profiles we manually put in digital TTL flash profiles. Try if it works.

With V6 II, what you get extra is cross-brand TTL and High-speed Sync.

We cannot be sure if Metz 48 works because we have not tested it. If anyone on the forum has one they can test it.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hello Antonio,
    Hello all,

So I tried the V6 II (fw:CAN.A.002) on top of the 6D mark 2, with the Metz 48AF-1.
    The body and flash are automatically recognized as Canon systems :)

*- The TTL passthrough works well, I did some test changing aperture and ISO , and the flash automatically adpated to get the same exposure.
    *- I feel ( need to test more) that the exposure through the Cactus V6 II is consistently lower than what I get usually (I would need to do more tests to check that deeper). From now, using the +1 2/3 flash setting (from the body, the flash is seen as a speedlite) gave me nice exposure.

However, I would say that the Metz 48AF-1 is compatible with V6 II.

More tests :
    *- The V6 II can trigger the RF60X , using TTL. As for the Metz 48AF-1, I feel the exposure is consistently lower than what I would expect, I used the + 2 2/3 EV setting from the V6 II to get nice exposure.
    *- I noticed the V6 II can NOT remotely change the zooming of the RF60X, I had to set it manually
    *- Testing compatibility with a V6 (fw:V61.A.001), the Metz 48AF-1 is NOT recognized, and using the proposed work around of setting it as <320EX> does not help. You have to set it up as Manual. I would say the METZ 48AF-1 is NOT compatible with V6.
    *- Testing multiple Cactus, with V6 (fw:V62.A.001) as RX, it can be triggered by the V6 II as TX. I can change the flash power from V6 II, I see the power value changing on the V6. I beleive if you have an analog TTL flash (I don't have, I couldn't test), the power would the be automatically adjusted. I could not find a way to adapt the zooming, I guess it is not possible.

Genrally speaking, I notice during all my test that :
    *- Firmware update is not seamless, as you have to use good cable, from direct USB port on your hardware (not using USB hub) ans sometimes you should install or uninstall the specific drivers. However, once it works, it's quick, easy, and you can revert by choosing older version, that is really good.
    *- Do your test with brand new batteries, or fully recharged accus, as low level accus may generate some lags or sometimes drops radio connection, or prevent the flash from lighting properly/at proper power.

By the way, no mention in the manuals of using rechargeable NiZn batteries, that works well wiht the Metz 48AF-1 flash. What is the status : recommended, not tested, forbidden ?

Hope all these inputs can help others.
    Best Regards,
    Thierry.
    EOS 6DmkII
    Metz 48AF-1
    Cactus V6 II CAN.A.002
    RF60X A.07
  • Hi Thierry,

Thanks so much for confirming that the Metz 48 AF-1 works on the V6 II! We shall add it on the compatibility list on our website.

Installing the Cactus Firmware Updater should be quite straight forward. What version of OS are you using?

NiZn batteries are not available (at least not common) here in Hong Kong. I am afraid we cannot comment on using these batteries. So use them at your own risk.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi Antonio,
    I'm on Windows 7.
    Once connected to the PC case directly, no USB HUB , then it worked.
    Just noted that in case other would have some issues.
    Best regards,
    Thierry
    EOS 6DmkII
    Metz 48AF-1
    Cactus V6 II CAN.A.002
    RF60X A.07
  • miltlong said:

Hi Antonio,
    Once connected to the PC case directly, no USB HUB , then it worked.

Glad to hear it's working now. Thanks Thierry for the update. :smile:
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager