Pentax: Cactus 6 VII support for p-TTL and TTL

Is it possible to implement the old TTL protocol to the 6VII as it is on the 6V?
It would be great to get controll also over old Pentax Flashes like the 500FTZ.
It would be great if I could controll my p-TTL Flashes and the manual Power of my old TTL flashes.
This would help a lot. Maybe you can make something like simulate a V6 on my V6II Receiver.
If I am thinking right than the V6II Transceiver should be able to controll a TTL Flash on the V6II (simulating a V6) Receiver. Right?

Comments

• Actually no, my understanding is that:

V6 II = digital TTL protocol

V6 = analogue TTL protocol

If your Pentax runs on analogue TTL, then it will not work.
    We were only able to squeeze a couple digital TTL flash profiles on the V6, but not vice versa, unfortunately. 

That said, you could mount a V6 II on camera and trigger your old P-TTL flash mounted on a V6 (mark 1). It will support remote power control and flash triggering x-sync.

Hope this helps!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thank you Antonio,
    this is what I already knew.
    My idea was, isn't it possible, as a future feature, to implement the functionality of the V6 as an extra menue point in the V6II? Maybe over firmwareupdate? Or has the V6 a totally different hardwarearchitecture as the V6II?
  • (The short answer is no)

Even if the architecture isn't different, we are already running out of memory on the V6 II to include anything extra - especially after squeezing wireless TTL to the already powerful wireless HSS firmware.

We are now praying that we can fit the Canon X-TTL firmware on it, as it seems to take up more space with quite a bit of additional work required. 

So it will always be a balance between available functions  and price - the hardware required. 

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks Antonio for your answer.
    That is a pity. What do you think about adding memory through a connected USB Stick over the USB port of the device? Just a thought.
    Or maybe the possibillity to change the complete firmware of a V6II to that of a V6?
    So people who need the analog TTL can switch their V6II device if they want and ther is no need to buy the older V6 if you have five V6II like me.

cheers Peter
  • Hi Peter,

Sorry but no to both your answers.

The V6 and V6 II is a flash trigger (transceiver) and not a computer LOL :)

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• ok, sorry for my stupid thoughts, I am only User ;-)
  • No worries, @Pid.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• > Antonio > Actually no, my understanding is that: V6 II = digital TTL protocol V6 = analogue TTL protocol If your Pentax runs on analogue TTL, then it will not work.We were only able to squeeze a couple digital TTL flash profiles on the V6, but not vice versa, unfortunately.  That said, you could mount a V6 II on camera and trigger your old P-TTL flash mounted on a V6 (mark 1). It will support remote power control and flash triggering x-sync. Hope this helps! Hi Antonio, i bought two other Cactus V6 for triggering my Pentax 500FTZ TTL Flash with my Cactus V6II. First worse thing is, I have to switch the Firmware back to the Multi-TTL firmware and have to give up the better X-TTL for Pentax. Second, the A6 will not be able to learn the Flash 500FTZ. Why that? It is old TTL but the Cactus V6 only supports manual flash mode. So the new V6 will do nothing else than the V6II I had before. They only flash full power and I can not control the FlashPower of the 500FTZ :-(
  • @Pid

Have you tried selecting one of the existing Pentax flash profile on the V6?

Does it work?

The V6 II does much more than the V6, but the V6 for the record does a lot already.

If you want wireless TTL, then you need to use V6 II with Pentax X-TTL firmware and a V6 II - compatible flash.

Unfortunately you cannot spin a Vinyl record (analogue, 500FTZ) in a CD player (digital).

What may be the better option for you is getting the RF60X. It's a GN60 flash with built-in radio. It works with the V6 II and you don't have to worry about flash profiles, etc.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hallo Antonio,
    yes I tried the other Pentax flash profiles. The problem is, the Pentax 500 FTZ is a very good flash and I have it since years. It is not my only flash, I have others which work perfect with p-TTL and my five V6II. As you wrote above, you said, I need a V6 to control the TTL of the 500FTZ. So I bought two other V6 for my older analog TTL flashes. The AF280T is no problem for the V6 to learn its profile. But the V6 only can learn profiles with the firmwareversions before the actual 2.1001. It worked for example with Version 1.1006 and all the other analog flashes, exept with the AF 500FTZ! The second problem is the V6 as RX only works with the V6II as TX with the newest firmware 2.1001, but not with 1.1006. That is a problem, because it is not possible to copy and transfer the learned profiles from V6 Version 1.1006 to Version 2.1001. It does not work. The Firmware 2.1001 does not accept to copy profiles from the older firmware versions. (this is mentioned in an other discussion here too). The Problem with the 500FTZ is also verified from an other User here in the forum. He has the same problem. The V6 is not able to learn the 500FTZ profile. Not with the newest nor with an older firmware. I tried everything. Is exactly as the other User discribed. If yoy use an other firmwareversion before the 2.1001 you can reach the profile learning to the point when the V6 tries to start the testflashes for the power levels. At this point it the V6 stops with the dialog: flash error.
    So you see the problem is:
    - you can not use the learning mode with 2.1001
    - you can not copy profiles from older firmware to 2.1001
    - V6 RX only works with V6II with 2.1001 installed
    - V6 will not learn the analog TTL flash FTZ500
  • All noted, but what I suggested above is trying selecting an existing Pentax flash model, e.g. Pentax AF540FGZ

Does this work?

It may well be that flash profile learning is not supported on the FTZ500. But that doesn't stop you from using an existing flash profile to allow you to use remote power control.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• nope I tried all profiles. Some of them work so you can fire the 500FTZ with full power, but none of them allows to adjust the power level. :-(
    Thats why I bought the V6, because I wanted the same compfort to adjust the power level from the TX on the Camera.
  • Oh no, that is really unfortunate. It seems like the Pentax 500FTZ is not compatible.

I am sure you already have the flash mode set to TTL?

If that is the case, we are extremely sorry that it does not work. If you have problem refunding the V6 you bought please let us know who and we will speak to them.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• I bought the two V6 second hand but they newer were used. They are with all foils on the display and no sign s of use. But it would be a pleasure to change them against two V6II, because they work very good and compfortable with all my p-TTL flashes.