I need help

edited January 2015 in V6 Questions
I have to take a group photo at church tomorrow, Tuesday the 12th.  I haven't used the Cactus V6's in a few months.
Yesterday, I attempted to set up my flashes shooting into my umbrellas but couldn't get them to fire in Manual mode.
I have two Nissin Di866 and one Nikon SB-800 shooting with a Nikon D-300.
I had the Nissin's as my main and fill and was using the SB-800 as a background light.  I had each of the flash units set to manual and my camera set to command mode in the flash settings.  I got nothing to work.
Then, I changed the camera mode to manual flash and still nothing.
I can get it to work in TTL mode but I will need a little more control than it is providing.
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or tell me what setting I need to utilize.
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• No need to respond.  I figured out the problem.  I had the transmitters and receivers reversed.  I need to use these more often so I do this automatically.
  • Glad to hear you have sorted it out!  Shout if you need any assistance :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Antonio said:

Glad to hear you have sorted it out!  Shout if you need any assistance :)

Thanks Antonio.  Actually, I did the shoot last night and I still had a few problems.  For some reasons the triggers didn't activate each time I shot.  I'm not sure if my camera settings are correct.
    I had the Flash Sync set at 1/160 and the Camera Sync set at 1/60, camera in Manual Mode and Flash Mode in TTL.  At one point I even switched to Manual Mode for the Flash Mode but went back to TTL to get it to flash.  It seemed there was a delay in the cycling so I checked to make sure the Delay Function of the triggers was off, I had fresh batteries in the triggers and flash so I know I was okay there.  I've got to figure this out as I have to shoot a wedding for a friend in two months. 
  • Hello @fotoman, remember to always leave the flash in TTL mount for
    remote power control and keeping the flash awake (for certain flash
    models).

Here are some points to check:
    • If you take 20 shots, how many would the remote flash miss? 
    • And is it the same for both the Di866 and SB-800?  You can do this test first by pressing the Test Button on the V6 TX unit directly instead of the camera shutter. This way if it is a hot shoe connection proble, you can eliminate the wireless possibility.
    • Set your remote flashes to the lowest power output, such as 1/128 so it will have sufficient time recycling power.
    • Keep the distance between the TX and RX units at least 30cm apart (FYI we usually test 30 meters).
    • If you are testing in confined spaces, remember to set your V6 to Short Range mode.

Let us know how you get on! Thank you!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks Antonio, I'll try it this weekend.
  • Antonio said:

Hello @fotoman, remember to always leave the flash in TTL mount for
    remote power control and keeping the flash awake (for certain flash
    models).

Here are some points to check:

• If you take 20 shots, how many would the remote flash miss? 
    • And is it the same for both the Di866 and SB-800?  You can do this test first by pressing the Test Button on the V6 TX unit directly instead of the camera shutter. This way if it is a hot shoe connection proble, you can eliminate the wireless possibility.
    • Set your remote flashes to the lowest power output, such as 1/128 so it will have sufficient time recycling power.
    • Keep the distance between the TX and RX units at least 30cm apart (FYI we usually test 30 meters).
    • If you are testing in confined spaces, remember to set your V6 to Short Range mode.

Let us know how you get on! Thank you!

Antonio:

When you say keep the flash in TTL mode are you referring to the Camera Menu or the Flash itself?

I'm really having difficulty getting this right for some reason.  I used them successfully a couple of weeks ago and just now tried to use them again but couldn't get them to fire.
    I had the master set to TX and the receivers set to RX.  All Channel 1 group A & B.  My Nissins were set to Manual.  My camera settings (D-300) were TTL, 1/160 and 1/60 on camera sync and flash sync. My shutter was set to Manual 1/60 f/8.  Each time I pressed the shutter the flashes would not fire.  I tried setting the flashes to TTL and they would fire once but not repeat.
    I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong but I can't figure it out.  I appreciate any help you can render.
    The flashes were in a softbox and were placed about 3 feet behind and in front of the subject.
  • Okay, I've got it figured out. 
  • edited February 2015 PM
    Good to hear!

Out of curiosity, what did you change to make things work?
  • The Nissin and Nikon flash units must be in TTL mode in order to utilize the triggers and manual mode in the camera.