I need help

edited January 2015 in V6 Questions
I have to take a group photo at church tomorrow, Tuesday the 12th.  I haven't used the Cactus V6's in a few months.
Yesterday, I attempted to set up my flashes shooting into my umbrellas but couldn't get them to fire in Manual mode.
I have two Nissin Di866 and one Nikon SB-800 shooting with a Nikon D-300.
I had the Nissin's as my main and fill and was using the SB-800 as a background light.  I had each of the flash units set to manual and my camera set to command mode in the flash settings.  I got nothing to work.
Then, I changed the camera mode to manual flash and still nothing.
I can get it to work in TTL mode but I will need a little more control than it is providing.
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or tell me what setting I need to utilize.
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• No need to respond.  I figured out the problem.  I had the transmitters and receivers reversed.  I need to use these more often so I do this automatically.
  • Glad to hear you have sorted it out!  Shout if you need any assistance :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • Antonio said:

Glad to hear you have sorted it out!  Shout if you need any assistance :)

Thanks Antonio.  Actually, I did the shoot last night and I still had a few problems.  For some reasons the triggers didn't activate each time I shot.  I'm not sure if my camera settings are correct.
    I had the Flash Sync set at 1/160 and the Camera Sync set at 1/60, camera in Manual Mode and Flash Mode in TTL.  At one point I even switched to Manual Mode for the Flash Mode but went back to TTL to get it to flash.  It seemed there was a delay in the cycling so I checked to make sure the Delay Function of the triggers was off, I had fresh batteries in the triggers and flash so I know I was okay there.  I've got to figure this out as I have to shoot a wedding for a friend in two months. 
  • Hello @fotoman, remember to always leave the flash in TTL mount for
    remote power control and keeping the flash awake (for certain flash
    models).

Here are some points to check:
    • If you take 20 shots, how many would the remote flash miss? 
    • And is it the same for both the Di866 and SB-800?  You can do this test first by pressing the Test Button on the V6 TX unit directly instead of the camera shutter. This way if it is a hot shoe connection proble, you can eliminate the wireless possibility.
    • Set your remote flashes to the lowest power output, such as 1/128 so it will have sufficient time recycling power.
    • Keep the distance between the TX and RX units at least 30cm apart (FYI we usually test 30 meters).
    • If you are testing in confined spaces, remember to set your V6 to Short Range mode.

Let us know how you get on! Thank you!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • Thanks Antonio, I'll try it this weekend.
  • Antonio said:

Hello @fotoman, remember to always leave the flash in TTL mount for
    remote power control and keeping the flash awake (for certain flash
    models).

Here are some points to check:

• If you take 20 shots, how many would the remote flash miss? 
    • And is it the same for both the Di866 and SB-800?  You can do this test first by pressing the Test Button on the V6 TX unit directly instead of the camera shutter. This way if it is a hot shoe connection proble, you can eliminate the wireless possibility.
    • Set your remote flashes to the lowest power output, such as 1/128 so it will have sufficient time recycling power.
    • Keep the distance between the TX and RX units at least 30cm apart (FYI we usually test 30 meters).
    • If you are testing in confined spaces, remember to set your V6 to Short Range mode.

Let us know how you get on! Thank you!

Antonio:

When you say keep the flash in TTL mode are you referring to the Camera Menu or the Flash itself?

I'm really having difficulty getting this right for some reason.  I used them successfully a couple of weeks ago and just now tried to use them again but couldn't get them to fire.
    I had the master set to TX and the receivers set to RX.  All Channel 1 group A & B.  My Nissins were set to Manual.  My camera settings (D-300) were TTL, 1/160 and 1/60 on camera sync and flash sync. My shutter was set to Manual 1/60 f/8.  Each time I pressed the shutter the flashes would not fire.  I tried setting the flashes to TTL and they would fire once but not repeat.
    I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong but I can't figure it out.  I appreciate any help you can render.
    The flashes were in a softbox and were placed about 3 feet behind and in front of the subject.
  • Okay, I've got it figured out. 
  • edited February 2015 PM
    Good to hear!

Out of curiosity, what did you change to make things work?
  • The Nissin and Nikon flash units must be in TTL mode in order to utilize the triggers and manual mode in the camera.