Nikon SB600 Power Control

edited January 2015 in V6 Questions

I've just purchased two V6's and an RF60 to use with my Nikon D90 Camera and SB-600 flash. I have the SB-600 set to TTL and mounted on a V6 set to RX mode. The RXing V6 has been setup to use the Nikon SB600 profile. Try as I may, the power output of the Nikon flash doesn't change. I raise or lower the flash power setting on the TXing V6 and watch it change to match on the RXing V6. When the flash is fired (By taking a picture) the power level of the SB600 is not altered.

As a test I replaced the V6/Nikon SB-600 with the Cactus RF60 and adjusted power levels using the TXing V6. This time the output level of the flash changed.

I have reset the SB-600 to its default settings, checked the RXing V6 to ensure the flash is unlocked, the profile is set to the correct flash and the Channel and Group match. The TXing V6 is in manual mode, not TTL Pass Through. Still no luck. No matter what I try the power level on the SB-600 cannot be adjusted. It's always full. I feel I must be missing something with my configuration but cannot see what it is.

If I interchanged V6's, make the TXer the RXer and vice-versa than I see a difference when the flash and unit are turned on (Flash first then V6). The flash immediately fires its test shot then displays the symbols TTL BL FP in the display of the SB-600. With this combination the power is controllable

Why won't it work if I interchange V6's? I've compared the settings on both V6's. They appear to be the same. What steps should I take next?

FYI: Firmware on the V6's is 1.1.007

Comments

• Do I understand correctly that you can make the V6s work for you if you make sure that a certain unit performs the receiver role?

If you marked the appropriate unit as a receiver, so that you don't mix them up, everything would work, correct?

This is just to understand the situation, though. Obviously you want to be able to use all units in all roles.

Although I cannot think about a setting that would affect a V6 receiver from controlling the power levels of a flash right now, I'd nevertheless would factory reset both V6 (perhaps first start with the unit that doesn't work as a receiver only).

In order to check whether there is a hardware issue, try using the unit that doesn't work as a receiver, on-camera in TTL pass-through mode and see whether it allows the SB-600 to be used as if the V6 weren't there. If this test fails, i.e., if you get a different behaviour by using the other V6 in the same pass-through setup then it would seem like that one of the V6s is defective.

Have you tried moving the SB-600 in the V6's hot-shoe connector a bit? Perhaps it is just a suboptimal hot-shoe fit?
  • Class A said:

Do I understand correctly that you can make the V6s work for you if you make sure that a certain unit performs the receiver role?

If you marked the appropriate unit as a receiver, so that you don't mix them up, everything would work, correct?

This is just to understand the situation, though. Obviously you want to be able to use all units in all roles.

Your understanding of the situation is correct.

Class A said:

Although I cannot think about a setting that would affect a V6 receiver from controlling the power levels of a flash right now, I'd nevertheless would factory reset both V6 (perhaps first start with the unit that doesn't work as a receiver only).

In order to check whether there is a hardware issue, try using the unit that doesn't work as a receiver, on-camera in TTL pass-through mode and see whether it allows the SB-600 to be used as if the V6 weren't there. If this test fails, i.e., if you get a different behaviour by using the other V6 in the same pass-through setup then it would seem like that one of the V6s is defective...

A factory reset did not correct the issue. On an off chance the latest firmware flash wasn't successful, the seeming defective unit was re-flashed. There was no change in behaviour. Placing the V6 on the camera, setting it to TTL pass-through reveals an issue as well. The flash does not operate correctly. If the working unit is placed on the camera and placed in TTL mode then the flash may be controlled as expected.

Class A said:

Have you tried moving the SB-600 in the V6's hot-shoe connector a bit? Perhaps it is just a suboptimal hot-shoe fit?

Repositioning the flash does nothing to correct the issue. Doesn't look like a hot-shoe misfit. Looks like a defective V6.
  • Looks like a defective V6.

Yes, indeed.

I guess you need to contact the place where you bought the V6 from, or contact Cactus but I believe they will also ask you to contact the dealer/store.
  • I reached out to the dealer earlier today. They have promised to deliver a replacement later today. I must say that I'm very pleased with their service.
  • New unit arrived as promised. Flash power may now be controlled as expected. Obvious defect in the other unit.