Long range vs. short range

At what distance do I utilize either long range or short range?  Experimenting I found it hard to pin down exact footages.  I know that 3 feet is too close even for short range.  What are the recommendations?  I'm using Nikon SB-800 and two Nissin Di866 units.

Comments

• edited March 2015 PM
    The "SHORT" option works for me between ~0-30m.
    The "LONG" option works roughly between 1 foot and 100m+.

You shouldn't have triggering issues at three feet at all with the "SHORT" option enabled on the transmitter. Even with "LONG" range enabled, three feet shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps you have other interference problems?
    Have you tried using different channel numbers?
  • I was checking on a Firmware update for my Nissin Di866 Professional flash units and was told by Nissin that the flash is not compatible with the Cactus V-6.
    I was a little surprised by this statement but maybe that's why I have had the problem of them flashing consecutively.
    I'd sure like an answer about these triggers not be compatible with the flash units.
  • What flash system is your Nissin Di866 for?

According to the compatibility list the Nissin Di866 Mark II for Canon and the Nissin Di866 for Nikon are supported by the V6.
  • Class A said:

What flash system is your Nissin Di866 for?

According to the compatibility list the Nissin Di866 Mark II for Canon and the Nissin Di866 for Nikon are supported by the V6.

I don't have the Mark II system I have the Nissin Di866 Professional for the Nikon System.
  • edited July 2015 PM
    fotoman said:

I don't have the Mark II system I have the Nissin Di866 Professional for the Nikon System.

So according to Cactus this flash model is supported by the V6.

Seems strange by Nissin to suggest otherwise. They may say that they are not guaranteeing compatibility with the V6 but why would they say it isn't compatible when Cactus clearly states it is?

I cannot speak to issues that may occur when using the Nissin Di866 with a V6 as I don't own such a flash.  It seems that with Nikon flashes and perhaps flashes using the Nikon system, the ordering of operations can make a difference, but if you have ongoing issues, some other Di866 user or Cactus would have to chime in.
  • Class A said:

fotoman said:

So according to Cactus this flash model is supported by the V6.

Seems strange by Nissin to suggest otherwise. They may say that they are not guaranteeing compatibility with the V6 but why would they say it isn't compatible when Cactus clearly states it is?

I cannot speak to issues that may occur when using the Nissin Di866 with a V6 as I don't own such a flash.  It seems that with Nikon flashes and perhaps flashes using the Nikon system, the ordering of operations can make a difference, but if you have ongoing issues, some other Di866 user or Cactus would have to chime in.
    They specifically mention the Di866 Mark II in the profile set up but only state Nissin Di866 in the compatibility paragraph.  That's pretty generic and I don't know if that covers the Proffessional model or not so I'm trying to get a clarification as I continue to have intermittent problems with them firing.