Sony A58 + V6 + LV5 + RF60. Doubts.

Hi!

I have a Sony A58 with one flash Metz 64 AF1 TTL + HSS

I am interested in buying a set of flashes RF60, trigger V6 and LV5 trigger, but i have some doubts about compatibility:

The V6 mounted on the camera hot shoe, allow the TTL passthrough to the flash METZ?

The LV5 can shoot through a single V6 the camera wirelessly while the RF60 or will need 2 V6 (one to trigger the camera and another to trigger flashes)

If I use the LV5 and V6 to trigger the camera with Flash METZ on the hot shoe as master, can i shoot the RF60 like slaves even with high-speed sync?

Waiting for your response. 

Thanks.Regards.

Comments

• edited April 2015 PM
    The V6 hot-shoe supports multiple brands, but Sony with their rather different hot-shoe layout (both old and new) is not one of them. So TTL pass-though won't work.

It is correct that the LV5 only needs one more trigger (V5 or V6) to trigger a camera via radio. I'm not sure what your other question is. To trigger RF60s from the camera, you only need one V6 (or none, if you use an RF60 on-camera in a master role). If you want to remote trigger the camera and RF60s then you indeed need two V6. One is used as the remote release (in your hand) and the other fulfils two roles (in relay mode): It triggers the camera and fires the flashes (once the camera takes the shot).

High-speed sync photography with the RF60 will -- to the best of my knowledge, as I'm not a Sony user -- only work via optical triggering. You can set an RF60 to trigger on the pre-flash of the Metz and use a respective delay value for the RF60 to make its flash coincide with the main flash of the Metz. The actual delay value to use will take a bit of experimentation in advance but the manual (available online) is very helpful in this regard.
  • Thanks for the reply Class A!

I read the RF60, V6 and LV5 manual, but i have some doubts, and I would appreciate if you could clarify if the RF60, V6 and LV5 might work properly in these cases of use:

1. Flash Metz 64 directly on the hot shoe of the Sony camera using HSS and 3 RF60 illuminating the scene. When I shoot camera, with flash METZ in HSS mode, the RF60 illuminate the scene correctly? If I add also a V6 supported on a plate, can I adjust the power of each RF 60 wirelessly in this configuration?

2. Flash Metz 64 directly on the hot shoe of the camera using HSS and 3 RF60 illuminating the scene. A V6 and LV5 to triger camera. With this setup will work all right? 

3. LV5 to wirelessly trigger the camera and 3 RF60 illuminating the scene, in this configuration i need one or two V6 for wireless triger of camera and wireless trigger and control of the RF60?. It will run everything right in the camera and RF60 in wireless mode?

Thanks a lot. Regards.

• I'm replying using multiple posts because the forum does not support multi-quote responses.

mpr said:

1. Flash Metz 64 directly on the hot shoe of the Sony camera using HSS and 3 RF60 illuminating the scene. When I shoot camera, with flash METZ in HSS mode, the RF60 illuminate the scene correctly? If I add also a V6 supported on a plate, can I adjust the power of each RF 60 wirelessly in this configuration?

The 3 RF60 will definitely be able to contribute to an HSS exposure, if your circumstances allow optical triggering and you are willing to find the correct delay setting for the RF60.

By adding a V6, you could trigger the V6 optically and have the V6 trigger the three RF60 via radio. Again, you need to find out a fitting delay time manually, but I have used this approach myself successfully. The V6's sensor is made for flash calibration, though, and hence not that sensitive for optical triggering. I just held it right in front of the flash head; setting it up nearby on a tripod with the Metz pointing at it may work as well.

You will always be able to remote control the power levels of the RF60 with a V6.

I do not know whether there is a way with your camera and flash to avoid optical triggering. You would have to have a means to trigger the V6 with a cable (either from the camera or flash) and the triggering signal would have to have the right timing. Hopefully someone familiar with Sony equipment can chime in. 

• mpr said:

2. Flash Metz 64 directly on the hot shoe of the camera using HSS and 3 RF60 illuminating the scene. A V6 and LV5 to triger camera. With this setup will work all right? 

Yes, this would work provided you are happy with the answers to your question "1.".

There is one more option in this setup:

The LV5 triggers both the V6 (or a V5) to trigger the camera and the flashes.

The flashes use a delay timer to compensate for the shutter lag of the camera.

You would have to experiment with finding the correct delay time for the flashes but you would not have to rely on any optical triggering in this case.
  • edited April 2015 PM
    mpr said:

3. LV5 to wirelessly trigger the camera and 3 RF60 illuminating the scene, in this configuration i need one or two V6 for wireless triger of camera and wireless trigger and control of the RF60?. It will run everything right in the camera and RF60 in wireless mode?

You need only one V6 to support wireless triggering from an LV5. There are two options:
    1. The LV5 triggers both V6 (for the camera release) and RF60s at the same time. This would require a manual delay setting for the flashes but would allow shutter speeds beyond the sync-speed (as you can set the RF60 into HSS mode manually).
    2. The LV5 triggers just the V6 (for the camera release) and the V6 is set to "relay mode". In "relay mode" the V6 first triggers the camera and then switches to a flash trigger role. As soon as the camera takes the shot, the V6 will send a wireless signal to the RF60s and the scene will be illuminated as expected. This will only work for shutter speeds not exceeding the sync-speed, i.e., non-HSS photography. Beyond a certain shutter speed (it is 1/2000s on my Pentax), you'll see a black bar creeping into the frame from the bottom, even if you set the RF60 to HSS mode. As long as you don't exceed the sync-speed, you don't need to set the RF60 to HSS mode, though. Not using HSS will give you a far better means of stopping action.