Delay - global or just HSS sympathy mode?

I am trying really hard to figure our a delay that will work with HSS. 
So far I am failing miserably and I've tried about every value from 50-120 over the past few days. 

Anyway, I have noticed that the Delay value appears to be in effect regardless of the flash being in HSS mode or not.

This would be really bad at a wedding, lets say, where I need to go into HSS mode and out fairly often and quickly.
Assuming I ever get this working...

It seems I would need to do the following; 
- put in HSS mode, set the delay take some photos.
- take the flash out of HSS mode, re-set the delay to 0, take some photos
repeat

That doesn't make sense and I would lose so many chances to take photos.

Is this truly how things work, or are the units not behaving properly?

Comments

• edited April 2015 PM
    Yes, the delay is active independently of HSS, as there other uses for the delay feature (e.g., simulating second-curtain sync).

Note that a Pentax camera does not provide a regular trigger signal anymore once the shutter speed is beyond the sync-speed. If you cannot find a delay value that works, make sure that you are using optical triggering and that you are using the trigger mode (S1) that triggers on the pre-flash.

You only got a few basic options to achieve HSS with the RF60 when using a Pentax DSLR.

1. Use optical triggering on the pre-flash of an HSS-capable flash. This requires dialing in a
    delay value (on the RF60s or a V6, depending on which you are using to catch the pre-flash). This is not practical if you want to quickly switch back and forth
    between HSS and regular shooting. You could leave the RF60 in HSS
    sympathy mode all the time, but that wouldn't be efficient. Furthermore
    the delay value would have to be changed once you change the aperture.

2. Use a shutter release cable to remote fire both camera and flashes with a V6 transmitter. You can then use a delay value to synchronise the output of the flashes with the release of the shutter. Again, not very practical, if you want to frequently toggle between HSS and regular flash photography.

3. Use optical triggering on the main flash of an HSS-capable flash. Using my K100D, I can use
    the RF60 in HSS mode for up to about 1/2000s by just triggering on the main
    flash of an HSS-capable flash. Just leave the delay at 0.
  • Thanks. Using Optical on the Main flash seems to work well.
    Dunno how well, but at least I do see a flash on the image. It currently worked with 1/3200s so thats excellent.

1/2000/s is beyond any usable limitation for HSS, unless I can keep my subject no further than about 12 inches anyway. :-)  
    If I can get to 1/800 consistently I would actually be quite happy.

I'll have to get out in the sunlight and see what I can do.

Thanks again for the response.