Firmware Installed Warning Message by Win 11 and Security Essentials

When I tried to download the Firmware Installer I got a warning message that "The Publisher Cannot Verified" and it warned that it may be malicious software.

I write a camera newsletter for forty people and would like to recommend the Cactus V6, but this problem needs to be fixed.

Comments

• Oops!  I meant to say Windows 7.  
  • I believe the warning is due to the fact that the USB drivers the Firmware Updater needs to install are not digitally signed. Getting a digital signature incurs some cost. The drivers are safe as they are, though. Hence I don't think this "problem" will be fixed.

Win8 is even more determined to prevent non-signed drivers to be used. In Win8 a user has to jump through several hoops in order to get non-signed drivers installed. I can see Microsoft's motivation as Windows issues can often be traced back to buggy drivers. However, the main thing is that the Firmware updater is not malicious software and does not cause any problems.
  • edited May 2015 PM
    Class A said:

I believe the warning is due to the fact that the USB drivers the Firmware Updater needs to install are not digitally signed. Getting a digital signature incurs some cost. 

To encourage people to buy the product and use the firmware updater, I would say incur the cost.

• Thanks for your suggestion!

We are working on it and hopefully will soon offer a smoother firmware update experience.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • Antonio said:

Thanks for your suggestion!

We are working on it and hopefully will soon offer a smoother firmware update experience.

Thank you.  These kinds of issues get mentioned in reviews especially on websites like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/, which by the way your site has it spelled wrong.  You may want to update that under dealers in America.
  • Antonio said:

Thanks for your suggestion!

Thank you.  These kinds of issues get mentioned in reviews especially on websites like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/, which by the way your site has it spelled wrong.  You may want to update that under dealers in America.
    Thanks for the heads up PhilsImaging.

BTW, B & H Foto & Electronics Corp. 420 9th Ave, New York, NY 10001 is B&H's registered company name, as you see on the bottom of their website. Anyway, I think it's better to put up a name that's more commonly used, especially by customers. We will revise it accordingly. Thanks! :)

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • Antonio said:

Antonio said:

BTW, B & H Foto & Electronics Corp. 420 9th Ave, New York, NY 10001 is B&H's registered company name, as you see on the bottom of their website. Anyway, I think it's better to put up a name that's more commonly used, especially by customers. We will revise it accordingly. Thanks! :)

Antonio said:

Fascinating!  I have been dealing with them for ten years or so and I never knew that.  I visited their store a few years back - it is huge.  A person could easily spend a few days looking at all the items they have for sale.

Antonio said:

Take care, Phil Walenga

Antonio said: