Firmware Updater - Malware?

I just got my V6 triggers and went to update the firmware. I downloaded the firmware software from Cactus, and much to my surprise my antivirus (Kaspersky) identified it as containing the AdWare "Eorezo".

What's up?

Comments

• Additional Info - from Link from Virustotal

• Noted your problem. I have forwarded to our software team and will report back.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • @Orangish  We tried it on one of our colleague's computer equiped also with Kaspersky and the Updater was donwloaded and installed without any prompts.

In any case the program is safe to use and without any harm that we could foresee to have.

Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • FYI, I use Norton and while not noted as malware exactly, it was blocked and automatically uninstalled due to 'low reputation'.  This seems to be because it is almost unused globally, which makes sense given our niche.  

I had to re-install and force Norton to accept the application via excpetions.  

However, it would be a good idea to pro-actively reach out to the major vendors as I think this issue will continue to plague you due to the low install rate compared to more mainstream software. 
  • Thanks @JBoot for the suggestion. I have passed the message to our R&D team.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • Low Reputation will invariably affect all new programs after they are released, but does not necessarily mean the file is bad, just that you are one of the first people to have seen the file and that it hasn't been observed to exhibit malicious behavior.

Reputation is based on prevalence of the files, where they are downloaded from, and other factors.
  • Thanks for chiming in, @THoff!  Much appreciated :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager